Parents Gym etiquette when attempting to switch gyms

• Thread starter Deleted member 29757
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 29757

I have two gymnasts and I inquired at another gym about the process for moving over. They said my girls are too old for their compulsory teams and the Xcel program would be the one they could be evaluated for. Their evaluations/trial don’t happen until April and then depending on their placement they would start in May. This is a LONG time to wait it out at their current gym. We would have happily moved over sooner if they had said our girls could come over for a compulsory trial but they didn’t even offer that due to their ages.

Other teammates are going to this gym now for trials since they’re being considered for compulsory. I feel like I can’t ask for my girls to be evaluated for compulsory because they flat out told me they were too old. Mind you they haven’t even seen my girls… just going off their ages.

Would it be too much to ask if there is a way for them to be evaluated and possibly train with compulsory so we can start over there sooner? Then switch over to Xcel in May? Is this overstepping as a parent? My main priority is for them to get the best training which is not currently happening. However, I don’t want to be “that” mom.

Thanks for your thoughts.

What you are asking is not a small exception and I don't know why any gym would even consider it. You have not even tried out at that gym and you want their compulsory coach to coach your gymnasts site unseen (in the middle of a season) when they won't even be considered for that level at open try outs?

I would either stay where they are at for a few more weeks or take a break if their current gym is too dangerous to continue with or their is a bullying situation or something.

I don't believe the gym will make an exception in this situation. Unfortunately some programs have their own hard set rules around age. It's really only 2 months so I'd ride it out at the current gym unless it's not a safe situation for them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back