Gymnastics at 14?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
I'm 13 and will be 14 in less than a month. I did gymnastics for a year at age 5. I then did tumbling for about 3 years. Now I'm doing tumbling and gymnastics. In tumbling there are tumblers my age who are better than me. Well most of them are. And in gymnastics, I'm the best but of course i'm with 7-9 year olds. It's way too easy but I'm still learning the same skills as they are on beam, vault, and bars. I am far more advanced on floor though. I'm working on back handsprings when most of the little girls can't do a back roll. What should I do? I'm feeling discouraged from sticking with gymnastics because first, I look like a giant at 4ft 11 and 1/2in and 93lbs. Even though I'm the shortest in my grade for the girls. I can't do a bridge from standing up because I have a back disorder but I'm working on it. I can do all the basics though other than the splits (working on it, used to be able to do it), back and front walkovers (almost got my front), holding hand stands for more than 5 seconds, and front handsprings. I can learn things pretty fast. But the girls who are in my tumbling class are far more advanced and probably level 7-10 gymnasts. And I can do a front flip if I get enough height. Am I too old to be doing gymnastics? I have no intentions thinking I'll be an olympian haha! What should I do?

Well, you are certainly ahead of me when I started at your age. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to pick up the other skills you need. I pick up skills fast, just like you, and it has helped me tremendously. I say go for it.

You arent too old. Im 15 and i just started gymnastics again. Im the oldest in my rec class the second oldest is 13. Plus unfortunatly im tall so i look alot older then her. Does your gym have an advanced rec class? If it does you should do that maybe there will be kids closer to your age

Thanks for all the supportive replies! I nailed my FHS today on the first try so I'm pretty happy now!

Absolutely! Gymnastics can be rewarding no matter how advanced you are! I started at 14 as well so if you need any advice or anything, just message me!

You're not too old. I didn't start till I was 21 or 22 or so. Give it time. Train hard, work strength and flexibility. It'll come.

I can remember doing basics and what not and knowing there were kids 1/2 or a third of my age who could do things twice as hard.

Just gotta get over it and push on.

There will always be girls who are younger than you who are more advanced. If you really enjoy gymnastics & this bothers you, speak to a coach to see if there's anyway you could be placed with athletes your age. If he/she say no, you could always propose private lessons.

Another thing, younger kids are typically smaller and therefore they can just whip themselves into the skill. (if that makes any sense at all) Once you hit adolescence, you grow and you have to use different methods for obtaining a skill.

Good luck!

I started again at 15 and am now 16! I'm 5 foot 4 and am wayyyyy taller than the other girls, but with perseverance, you'll move up and out of that age group! I am hoping to compete level 4 or 5 this fall after starting 6 months ago. Keep going! If you're like me, and it's your dream to be in this sport, don't let anyone hold you back! Your age will also help you concentrate better! Don't let anyone tell you you're too old!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back