Parents Gymnastics mats at home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sharon Reed

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Does anyone else use gymnastics mats at home for their kids?
Or do you strictly keep all practicing at the gym?

Reactions: sce
We have mats and other gymnastics equipment, but my kids only use it for conditioning and my younger girls are allowed to do skills with my older girls who coach at the gym , and to climb and make forts.

We have a big mat, my girls are only 2x per week so they use it for conditioning and handstands. It's also often used for play- the current favorite is what they call 'battle training' (yeah they are crazy ), or 'gymnastics lessons' with friends or younger siblings.

2x per week so they use it for conditioning and handstands
This was the same for my DD. (at the gym 4 hours per week) She would often start her handstand on a mat and then walk (on her hands) off the mat. We have soft carpets and they work well for most things too (other than the occasional rug burn). We also have a padded floor beam that has a mat under it.

We have a panel mat and I wish we had a 2nd one. It doesn't get used for gymnastics too much but in a house with only hardwood floors it gets used for other things like a little padding for sleepovers, exercising, forts, dancing.

No gymnastics equipment or skill practice at home. Only conditioning, which includes a pull up bar we all use (actually them, not me :cool:)

Oh and a yoga mat that we all use for ab/core work even me :)

we have one of those 4 panel folding 2 inch (i think) mats. it was used a lot when my dd was a level 3. we also have a "beam" that is in two pieces and sits on the ground. she would take that outside and put the mat on one side of it to practice BHS on "beam". now it's under the bars in the shed along with a crash mat. my son loves to hang on the bars. we also have a wedge mat that we used to practice BHS and BWO on before she was even a gymnast. she was just in tumbling. we don't need that any more. i'd love to sell it all but the crash mat. however, i can't get anyone to let me! she's going to be in the gym so much starting next fall that i don't want her to do anything gymnastics related at all at home. even conditioning. she will need to rest and let her body have down time.

oh and we have a tiny little 1 inch mat that i put under the pull up bar when we first got it. that's not used anymore either.

We have mats and other gymnastics equipment, but my kids only use it for conditioning and my younger girls are allowed to do skills with my older girls who coach at the gym , and to climb and make forts.
Its great to hear that your home equipment is supervised. Let kids save the new skills for the gym until they are mastered, then perfect their technique on home gymnastics bars or balance beams.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back