WAG Gymnasts staying with coaches while travelling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has done both, stayed in the room (suite) with her coach and also recently went on a team trip where they did 4 girls to a room. I have no issues with either. She will be going to NYC for a meet in Feb. and will be doing the same thing, 4 girls to a room. Her coaches put tape on the outside of their rooms so if any of them decide they'd like to sneak out and roam the halls they will be busted :)

I am going to the NYC meet but it is a L9/10 team trip so the girls and coaches are together all the time. My Dd would die if I told her that she had to stay with me on this trip and not with her teammates. :)

With regard to the OP's situation ... 14 year old young women are not exactly children but in that age group I would strongly suggest the coaches not room share with them unless the coach is prepared to stay in the dominant mode 24/7, which sounds exhausting. With many athletes you need boundaries to then go back in the gym and get them to do what they should do. You don't want them to see the coach as their buddy.

If it is 1 coach and 1 athlete and they are both female well, I guess it probably is not worth spending an extra $100 a night to give that young lady her own room plus she might be nervous.

I haven't been in this position yet as a coach.

But IMO, definitely separate rooms. It's one of the things I was thinking about if having to be a councilor at Woodward. Sleeping with munchkins. No sleep. Bleh. I know it's been an issue at Sleep-Overs, and that's when I try to sleep as far away as possible.

This wasn't gymnastics, but my orchestra did a 3 day 2 night retreat and we (players) stayed 3 to a room while the chaperons and conductors all checked on us before lights out and roamed the halls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back