Gyms in London

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
F

Flipsandgrips2002

Hey guys!

As some of you may know, I posted about me moving to London soon. I was hoping any of you Brits could help me find a website where you can find a gym in your area.

Thanks xx

Hey guys!

As some of you may know, I posted about me moving to London soon. I was hoping any of you Brits could help me find a website where you can find a gym in your area.

Thanks xx
Go on British gymnastics, then click
find a club. You can select your age and what type of gym you want to do, then it will give you a list of your nearest clubs xx

Which part of London? It's a big city!

There are half a dozen high performance centres, and hundreds of smaller clubs. What are you looking for?

How old are you? You may end up in adult classes if you're over 16...

Pm me if you want any more info, I know a couple of people at London clubs and can pick their brains for you :)

Which part of London? It's a big city!

There are half a dozen high performance centres, and hundreds of smaller clubs. What are you looking for?

How old are you? You may end up in adult classes if you're over 16...

Pm me if you want any more info, I know a couple of people at London clubs and can pick their brains for you :)
Im looking around abbywood or woolwich ( we havent really decided where )
Also i'm not over/16

So your choices would be Europa, high level, junior world champions etc. East London same, but would be trickier to get to.

Greenwich is a newer start up, nice facility, but not producing junior/senior elites. Mainly regional level. Same for blackfen.

Those would be the ones to look at first for competitive wag. Have a look at the regional results on Heathrow's website to get an idea of who does what. "Compulsory" and espoir is pre- elite up to age 13 in the uk, other comps are non elite.

If you don't want to compete wag, you have more choice :). Floor and vault is popular in the uk.

Ill have a look into it, thanks Faith. I'm not good with all the gym techy stuff lol i have no idea what half your paragraph is haha. Could you explain thanks.

So your choices would be Europa, high level, junior world champions etc. East London same, but would be trickier to get to.

Greenwich is a newer start up, nice facility, but not producing junior/senior elites. Mainly regional level. Same for blackfen.

Those would be the ones to look at first for competitive wag. Have a look at the regional results on Heathrow's website to get an idea of who does what. "Compulsory" and espoir is pre- elite up to age 13 in the uk, other comps are non elite.

If you don't want to compete wag, you have more choice :). Floor and vault is popular in the uk.
Ill have a look into it, thanks Faith. I'm not good with all the gym techy stuff lol i have no idea what half your paragraph is haha. Could you explain thanks.

What are you looking for in a club?
What age and level are you?
What are your future gymnastics plans?
Are you a high level gymnast looking for elite coaching? An older beginner? Looking for mid level competitive team? Recreational? Teen classes?
Do you want to compete?
Do you want to compete floor, vault, bars and beam and have been doing so?
Or as many do on the lower hour side just floor and vault.
I also believe team gym and tumble and tramp are also big.

What are you looking for in a club?
What age and level are you?
What are your future gymnastics plans?
Are you a high level gymnast looking for elite coaching? An older beginner? Looking for mid level competitive team? Recreational? Teen classes?
Do you want to compete?
Do you want to compete floor, vault, bars and beam and have been doing so?
Or as many do on the lower hour side just floor and vault.
I also believe team gym and tumble and tramp are also big.
Im an older beginner.
Wanting to compete bars, beam, floor and vault.
Recreational for now
I do want to compete.

Ok then. You could be in trouble.

In the uk wag is reserved for competitive team kids. Especially in London where the competitive standard is very high- the lowest competitive level is level 5 and most train 15-20 hrs plus to compete it- bwo and bhs on beam, lay outs and twists on floor, even Giants are allowed. There are no true "novice" levels

Rec gymnastics is usually an hour a week and I don't know of a club with a Rec team that either competes or does wag.

Your most likely opportunity is floor and vault competition. Hours are 3-9 a week.

You probably need to look at the smaller clubs. But good luck :)

Ok then. You could be in trouble.

In the uk wag is reserved for competitive team kids. Especially in London where the competitive standard is very high- the lowest competitive level is level 5 and most train 15-20 hrs plus to compete it- bwo and bhs on beam, lay outs and twists on floor, even Giants are allowed. There are no true "novice" levels

Rec gymnastics is usually an hour a week and I don't know of a club with a Rec team that either competes or does wag.

Your most likely opportunity is floor and vault competition. Hours are 3-9 a week.

You probably need to look at the smaller clubs. But good luck :)
I do want to compete but i thought you needed to do rec first.
How do you get on the competitve team?

You might be able to compete in floor & vault or team gym but the uk gym system is completely geared towards girls starting young. There are lots of teen rec classes which are fun mainly floor and vault focused. Sometimes they do displays at club festivals.

You might be able to compete in floor & vault or team gym but the uk gym system is completely geared towards girls starting young. There are lots of teen rec classes which are fun mainly floor and vault focused. Sometimes they do displays at club festivals.
So i can't do WAG?

All you can do is call round and ask for a trial. The reality is though most won't even trial a girl beginner over 13 for wag. Maybe if you're some sort of undiscovered phenom...

Actually you have more chance of competing wag once you turn 16 and can join adult classes. These sometimes train for adult competition, which does go from beginner on a few hours a week.

So you're best plan might be to do floor and vault for a few years, join some circuit or other conditioning class, and get into adult competition as soon as you can.

Start emailing! Bg can be helpful as well as the clubs them selves.

All you can do is call round and ask for a trial. The reality is though most won't even trial a girl beginner over 13 for wag. Maybe if you're some sort of undiscovered phenom...

Actually you have more chance of competing wag once you turn 16 and can join adult classes. These sometimes train for adult competition, which does go from beginner on a few hours a week.

So you're best plan might be to do floor and vault for a few years, join some circuit or other conditioning class, and get into adult competition as soon as you can.

Start emailing! Bg can be helpful as well as the clubs them selves.
Alright thanks a million!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back