Parents Gyms in the San Francisco area?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pullover

Proud Parent
Can anyone tell me specifically about the gyms in San Francisco and the outskirts -particularly S. of the city? We are trying to decide between 2 gyms -I have heard that the one that is a bit further from our house (but totally doable) has the better reputation from what I can tell. We've taken classes at both and love them both but are getting ready to make more of a commitment and trying to decide if it's important to be at the one with the better reputation. I'd love to hear from someone who is familiar with the gyms in the area who could perhaps tell me what the difference is -I am very new to the world of gymnastics. Please message me if you have any insight that you'd be willing to share on this!

No advice, but just wanted to say, how cool to be living in San Francisco - one of my all-time favourite places. Good luck and enjoy!

The highest ranked gym south of the city is San Mateo which is in Belmont. They were #2 last year. The best gym in the bay area since anyone can remember is Airborne. They are in Santa Clara which is about 45 minutes from the city.

The coaching philosophies for team at San Mateo and Airborne are very, very different. It's a matter of personal preference which you would choose.

There are a few other good gyms in the east side of the bay, but they would all be equal to if not further than Airborne because commute times in the East Bay SUCK!

San Mateo, Armen and the rest of the staff are very very good.

Sounds like maybe you are choosing between San Mateo and Airborne, but I'll throw some others to consider into the mix-- all have strong JO programs through optionals:
- Peninsula- another solid option near San Mateo
- American- two locations in the city with a great program, facilities, coaching
- Golden Bear Gymnastics (UC Berkeley)- strong, growing program in the East Bay. Outstanding coaches and a good TOPs program
- Head over Heels- another strong option in the East Bay with strong JO and Xcel programs

Feel free to PM me if you want more details on any. There are a few other gyms right in SF, but not with JO through the higher levels.

There are a lot of gyms in the area. There are gyms in the city but I don't know much about them. How far South are you looking? What are you looking for (girls/boys low pressure, highest ranking, coaching style?)
Closer to the city are San Mateo (in Belmont, big program, they do well and at times have gymnasts on the national team) and Accel (Burlingame and Foster City).
A bit further south: Peninsula (San Mateo), Bayshore Elite (Redwood City), Menlo Park Gymnastics (aka Arrillaga Family Gymnastics Center), Stanford Boys (Stanford), Twistars (Mountain View), and Gold Star (Mountain View).

There are gyms further south as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back