WAG hair decutions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wouldn't need to know, as all my girls hair must be 'tight and right.' I haven't cared for the more relaxed hair styles over the past decade, it just doesn't seem right to me. (remember, I said 'me') ;) In the past there was a .2 deduction if their hair was in their face, touched their shoulders or apparatus. This weekend I'll be spending it with a brevae (spelling) judge (oh yay...), and I will see if I can remember to ask her the 'official' ruling. :)

Reactions: sce
The deduction information can be found on page 5 of the code, under the Chief Judge responsibilities (info is also in R&P under athlete responsibilities)

14. Takes the deduction from the average score for the following infractions. The deduction
must be indicated to the coach either verbally or by visual means at the conclusion of the
exercise.

h. Incorrect attire (includes jewelry) (after a warning) 0.20
* Jewelry is not allowed to be worn during warm-ups or competition.
Once the warning has been issued by the Meet Referee or Chief Judge, the deduction
will be applied to the first event competed after the warning. Once the deduction has
been applied, the MR must inform the CJ at any subsequent events so that no further
penalty will be taken. The deduction is taken one time only.
1) Acceptable attire is a one piece leotard with or without sleeves and no bare
midriff. Unitards with long legs, with or without sleeves are acceptable.
2) The leg cut of the leotard must be below the pelvis/hip bone.
3) Backless leotards are not acceptable.
4) Underwear (including sports bras) should not be visible.
If underwear is visible due to the cut of the leotard, warn the athlete’s coach.
If the gymnast does not correct it, take a deduction on her subsequent event.
Underwear, including sports bras, should not be intentionally visible
throughout the entire routine. However, if briefs or bra straps show due to
activity, do not take a deduction. Common sense should prevail.
5) One pair of stud earrings are allowed; one earring per ear in any part of the ear.
All other piercings must be removed and not just covered with tape or a bandage.
6) Necklaces and bracelets are not allowed. Exception: Medical bracelets.
7) Spaghetti straps are considered inappropriate attire. Straps must be a
minimum of 2 cm (7/8”) wide.
8) Elastic waistbands traditionally worn as training aids are incorrect attire.
(This does not include medically necessary bandages).
9) Failure to wear a competitor number when required.
10) Hair should be secured away from the face so as not to obscure her vision of
the apparatus.

Thank you!

I love the end of #4 "common sense should prevail".

According to this, all the comments about hair touching the ground or down the back are not supported by the code. Dd had a high ponytail and her hair is not very long, but it did touch the floor on her handstands. She did not get a warning or deduction though.

This also says that the deduction is taken once, not on all 4 events!

We have always been told that if the hair (long pony tail) is long enough to whip them in the face, it's too long and must be secured in a bun, braid or other style that further restricts its movement. And #1 is interesting to me:
1) Acceptable attire is a one piece leotard with or without sleeves and no bare
midriff. Unitards with long legs, with or without sleeves are acceptable.
I was told way, way back that leotards technically are supposed to be long-sleeved. Our L3's (old 4's) have always worn tank leos. I was told that our coaches chose to take the risk of a minimal point deduction for that level, so that they could keep the cost down for the families who were just starting out. Now, to read this, it would appear that those tank leos are perfectly acceptable...

Reactions: sce
I always thought you got a deduction if your hair was past the shoulders too! Guess not. Hair is one of my pet peeves; I like it tight and neat in a bun - I think it looks more professional. I get so annoyed at the big girls with their floppy looped pony tails, but also realize there is so few ways the teen gymnasts can be "rebels" :)

We had a judge holler out "hair check" during one of girls floor routine. She had a long ponytail so we were told that if the hair can be pulled around to the front of the face by the mouth it's too long. They have to wear it looped up in the back, bun or low pony. BTW, this was L6 & male judge.

a dunce male judge...

I'm currently working towards my club judge exam, and we were told to deduct if the gymnast touches the hair, or adjusts their hair during any routine. We were also told to deduct if we felt their hair was in a dangerous position e.g. Covering their eyes when tumbling. Or the vault touching hair mentioned above.

But we were told hair deductions couldn't be more than 0.8 and that was if they were doing something like tumbles with their hair in the way.'

Hope this helps. But have only been to one weekend of training so far

another dunce teaching judges how to be dunces.

Here with FIG if hair touches the vault then it is an automatic 0.00.

and we know the FIG is stooooooopid. years ago, Oksana received a hair deduction because her hair (which has always been short) was not "feminine".

and really, everyone should not heed any warnings about hair except when it has to do with safety. yes, if their hair is too long, it can get under the hands on the block at vault at just the precise moment causing the body to go 'up' and head getting whip lashed. i've seen it happen.

or bars, it it's long enough to get to the rail, the hair can go under the hand. i once saw a girl take a chunk of her hair and scalp right out of her head when her hair went under the hand on a back stalder.

Our girls have to wear their hair slicked back with gel in a tight bun. Our coach also judges and insists they wear it this way.

a
and really, everyone should not heed any warnings about hair except when it has to do with safety. yes, if their hair is too long, it can get under the hands on the block at vault at just the precise moment causing the body to go 'up' and head getting whip lashed. i've seen it happen.

or bars, it it's long enough to get to the rail, the hair can go under the hand. i once saw a girl take a chunk of her hair and scalp right out of her head when her hair went under the hand on a back stalder.
To quote, uh, someone," Yikes!" My dd's hair is not long enough for that fortunately.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back