WAG Handstand Book?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
So, pretty regularly I get an email advertisement for Karen Goeler's Handstand Book. I have gone as far as to put it in my "cart" but have never actually ordered it. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this book? Is it something my daughter would enjoy, say, getting in her Christmas stocking? She has an OK handstand... not amazing, but it's improved a lot in the past year. Though when I see moms of TOPS girls saying that their daughter "only" held her handstand for 45 seconds, I'm blown away. DD may have held a handstand for 45 seconds before, but I don't think it's the norm for her (I could be wrong... I don't watch practices and she does a lot fewer handstands in the living room now that she's gone from 7:20am-8 or 8:30 pm 5 days a week). I guess my questions are a) is it a good/helpful book and b) should I even be considering getting DD a book about gymnastics drills when she already spends close to 20 hours a week in the gym? I guess it's just the power of advertising... it tempts me every time it pops up in my mail box. Someone stop me before I shop again!

I've never heard of it, but I'm curious. DD cannot hold a handstand very long...certainly not for 45 seconds!!!

I fail to see how a book could help a handstand hold...the best things for handstands are drills (esp handstands against the wall to learn straight position), corrections from coaches, and practice practice practice. Keep in mind the TOPS girls are expected to do 60 sec holds - that is why TOPS parents say "only 45 sec". 60 sec may be unrealistic for others...TOPS kids are selected to do the program because they have high strength:weight ratios, and they also spend a LOT of time training strength and flex.

I don't know about this one, but I have her 'Drills and Conditioning Exercises' book in the same series. The drills read okay, but the illustrations are very disappointing - just stick figures. Would be so much easier to understand with some good quality photos.

So, pretty regularly I get an email advertisement for Karen Goeler's Handstand Book. I have gone as far as to put it in my "cart" but have never actually ordered it. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this book? Is it something my daughter would enjoy, say, getting in her Christmas stocking? She has an OK handstand... not amazing, but it's improved a lot in the past year. Though when I see moms of TOPS girls saying that their daughter "only" held her handstand for 45 seconds, I'm blown away. DD may have held a handstand for 45 seconds before, but I don't think it's the norm for her (I could be wrong... I don't watch practices and she does a lot fewer handstands in the living room now that she's gone from 7:20am-8 or 8:30 pm 5 days a week). I guess my questions are a) is it a good/helpful book and b) should I even be considering getting DD a book about gymnastics drills when she already spends close to 20 hours a week in the gym? I guess it's just the power of advertising... it tempts me every time it pops up in my mail box. Someone stop me before I shop again!

okay then. STOP before you shop again. lol. :)

I haven't read it in about 10 years but I did like her books back then. I'm not sure any of the tips would be of any use to me now but back then it was NEW knowledge.

Quite honestly a lot of optional girls do not have great handbalancing ability because they do not practice enough handstand time in their programming. Not enough volume or attempts even when they are training for 15-25 hours a week.

I bought this book some time ago for myself as a coach. It has some interesting drills in it which I had never seen before, and I incorporated a lot of them into my girls programme. Since then I have weeded out those which I don't like/don't find effective but those which I like are still being used. As a coach I really found the book useful - I bought the whole series! I don't know if I'd have liked it when I was a gymnast, but it depends on your dd - There are definitely some useful drills in there which can be done at home without a problem!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back