Help... daughter has vaulting issues!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

just_gymnastics

My daughter is a level 6 gymnasts who no matter what cant seem to get high vaulting scores... she is doesnt have much repulsion and has bent arms and does not hit far enough out on the vault.... she runs fast enough down the runway... not sure what can help. She scores very well on the rest of the events just at a road block with the vault. Any suggestions?

also... she practices this event at open gym and practice all the time... hoping for some advice...

Well, it's hard to know without seeing, because there are a lot of factors. Does she arm circle before she hits the board? When I had this issue with my vaults, it was because I was leaning too far forwards on the board when I hit it. When it finally clicked on how to stand up straight, my vaults got AMAZINGLY better.

It's hard to say what the problem is without seeing the vault, but rest assured that your daughter is not the only one with this problem. Vault is a complex event with a heck of a lot going on in a really short time, it can take a while for everything to "click".

i'll just make a guess that she is about 11 and weighs less than 60 lbs?

those doggone boards don't work very well until their about 80 lbs.;)

Well, she could be low on the board and get no jump. If that is true she should start further foward or put the board further back. She might not have an armswing. For that drills will most likely help. And maybe she just nees mor upper body strength. For taht all you can really do is lots of conditioning! Good luck and I hope that helped!:)

Our gym has been doing some intensive vault training recently since we were getting killed in the all-around on that event! I know when my arms are bent and I don't get repulsion, it's because I'm not standing up on the board. It seem counter-intuitive, but she should feel almost like she's leaning backwards a little (stay tight!) when she hits the board. A good drill one of my coaches, who's a very good spotter, does is that she stands between the table and the springboard while the girls vault. She helps to lift you up and over her, but the girls also go higher automatically because they really don't want to hit her.

Once she's getting a better pop, we work on hollowing off. We stack mats behind the table and land in a hollow position, and then put a wedge mat, big side away from horse, onto those mats and the key is "don't let your feet touch the mat", and land in a hollow. The first time we did this we had a spot to keep us from sliding back down towards the vault table.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back