Parents Help please!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

clubdancemom

Proud Parent
My daughter has to do a gifted project every semester and hers is on the physics of tumbling. She needs a WOW! Factor like a demonstration or a video but the room that she is presenting in is not suitable for tumbling. Can you all help me come up with an idea for her WOW! Factor?

Other than actually tumbling, what other ideas does she have on the table? What kind of things is she considering?

She can do any kind of presentation but it has to be created by her. So no Youtube videos unless it is her account and so on

Yes, but what are HER ideas? If she is creating this, then what are her thoughts? What is she going to talk about? What has she considered but tossed out (other than actually tumbling) and why? I'm just trying to figure out what her thought processes are before just tossing out easy answers. Sorry, the teacher in me just can't help myself. It drives "my kids" crazy that I won't ever just feed them answers without them showing me some effort on their part.

It helps to understand where she is in the process rather than just tossing out suggestions.

She wanted to use a doll to show hand and foot placement as well as torque and momentum. I thought it was a good idea but I was wondering what else we could use.

One of those little rebounder tramps- show physics of landing and reduced force on joints as its absorbed by springs? Get classmate sup to jump, one on normal floor, one on tramp while she talks?

Can she request to present outside the class and use a mat to do a round off or something kind of basic? Or use the school gym?

Alternatively you know how dunno is always talking about the force on the body on a double tuck being like jumping from the second floor? Maybe come up with some sort of way to demonstrate that on a video?

Can she use an app like "coach my video." Video her tumbling and then you can stop it or go slowly forward it backwards. You can pause and look at height/angles and I'm sure so much more. There are some apps that do the same thing that are free some are paid. Good luck to her!

I don't feel like the doll has the WOW factor you mention. I didn't think to ask how old/grade your DD is in and what level of physics she has to go into.

I agree that if she is able to move venue, that would be ideal. Having someone available to do the tumbling to demonstrate the physics definitely has wow.

If she can do the math, perhaps use an egg to demonstrate the forces applied on the body for different skills. She could figure out all of the physics for someone of her mass then extrapolate that to show forces on an egg in equal proportions. Then she could demonstrate how the forces applied on the egg affect the egg. That might be a good demonstration.

Explain changes in speed of rotation for correct body placement.
Talk about entry into front tuck and how you if you want to land on your feet you need to rotate fast enough.
Show video of her doing this landong on a crash mat. Get her to land on feet, over rotate to fall forwards and under rotate too and on her bottom.
If using an iPad my favorite is Instant Replay as I find their scroll forwards and backwards at whatever speed you move your finger really nice to use. Very tactile.

Then get a volunteer to stand up the front.
Ask them to stand with arms outstretched and turn on the spot. I'd kind of be ready to spot them when they start staggering, then ask them to pull their arms into their sides and watch the change in rotation speed. Get them to do this few times with different speeds of pulling the arms in. By this time they'll be dizzy which will amuse the class.
If possible, and if there is enough clear space that you feel it is safe, convince the teacher to be the demonstration subject.

Edit: depending on age do the calculations for angular velocity etc. if not, it's still a nice demonstration.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back