Help with BHS on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok, so next year i will (provided everything goes smoothly) be competing level 6 and for beam, instead of my handstand straight jump i can do a flic for bonus (my handstand rarely gets paid as it is not held for 2 secs so the bonus would be worth it) and well......My coach has me working on them at the moment and i am doing flics uphill and stuff like that and did a few on floor beam and after about 3 my shoulder would go funny as my hands hit the beam. My coach tells me i need to get stronger before i do a flic on beam (inc. floor beam) but my question is what strength can i do to strengthen my shoulders (I assume that is the problem) or if you know of what else might be causing the problem please tell me.

Thanks xx

Wish I knew what to tell you...I know shoulder flexibility is a major issue to get it right...and you really want to get it right because if you don't you end up like my grandaughter who broke one hand in 2010 and the other hand and a foot this year doing bhs on beam and missing....thinking she may have a gymnastics ending injury this time becauser one finger is still bend and now she can't do bars...(this last injury required 2 pins in her fingers)...

I had the same problem with my shoulders giving out on the landing. My coach made me do a lot of shoulder strength and flexibility and that really helped. Good Luck!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you can get "bonus points" in compulsory level 6 gymnastics. I thought there were two options for level 6 on beam, back walkover or a backwards roll.

Ok, so next year i will (provided everything goes smoothly) be competing level 6 and for beam, instead of my handstand straight jump i can do a flic for bonus (my handstand rarely gets paid as it is not held for 2 secs so the bonus would be worth it) and well......My coach has me working on them at the moment and i am doing flics uphill and stuff like that and did a few on floor beam and after about 3 my shoulder would go funny as my hands hit the beam. My coach tells me i need to get stronger before i do a flic on beam (inc. floor beam) but my question is what strength can i do to strengthen my shoulders (I assume that is the problem) or if you know of what else might be causing the problem please tell me.

Thanks xx

Have you tried splitting earlier? Assuming your handspring is at the correct angle, you can use the split or step out to pull you off of your hands faster so you don't spend so much time trying to support your weight. Without a video it's hard to say much more.

Have you tried splitting earlier? Assuming your handspring is at the correct angle, you can use the split or step out to pull you off of your hands faster so you don't spend so much time trying to support your weight. Without a video it's hard to say much more.

That might be the problem i do split quite late so you might have just have found the problem! i will try spliting earlier next time im at the gym which is not for 10 days.....at least grrrr

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back