Parents Higher JO hours in some areas than others?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pullover

Proud Parent
I have noticed that JO programs in some other areas don't seem to train as many hours as they do where I live. Is it common for an area to have all gyms with high hours? Since these gyms compete against each other I guess it makes sense for them to all have the same hours -but I'm slightly envious of those of you who have kids in JO programs with lower hours.

Curious what others think of these hours -are they as high as they seem to me?

Level 3: 12
Level 4-5: 16
Level 6-7: 20

We are just in level 2, but I've seen the hours for all the levels. So at my dd's gym

level 2: 6-9 hours (it was 6 hours from June-December and will be 9 hours from January-June while training for level 3)
level 3-4: 12 hours
level 5-6: 15 hours
level 7-9: 20 hours
level 10: 20 hours (but it's daytime, 11:30-4:30. I think they have some kind of arrangements with schools around here)

DD did 9 hours at old 4, 12.5 at new 4, and 16.5 during competition season for new 5. Optionals go up to 18 in the offseason. 5 and up were over 21 hours a week in the summer.

The two gyms we have experience with here are very different from one other. L4 at one does 16-20 and the other does 9.5. L5 at the first is 20-24 and the other is 12.5. Even though they are only 15 miles apart I don't think they directly compete, with one being north states and one being south states.

At DD's gym, this year:

Level 2: 9 hrs (ages 6 and under can do 6 hrs)
Level 3: 9 or 12 hrs
Level 3/4: 12 hrs
Level 4/5 and 6/7: 16 hrs
Level 8-10: 20 hrs

This is above what most other gyms in our area do, with maybe the exception of level 10s.

Of course, hours increase over the summer. And last year as a 3/4 my DD and a couple of other girls actually did 16 hours, so it must depend. I often wonder how much it really matters. All of the girls who did less hours than DD last year were caught up by the end of summer. I've kind of been wishing I'd have opted for less hours last school year. The extra down time would have been good for her headspace, and she'd have likely been less burnt out by the end last school year.

I have noticed that JO programs in some other areas don't seem to train as many hours as they do where I live. Is it common for an area to have all gyms with high hours? Since these gyms compete against each other I guess it makes sense for them to all have the same hours -but I'm slightly envious of those of you who have kids in JO programs with lower hours.

Curious what others think of these hours -are they as high as they seem to me?

Level 3: 12
Level 4-5: 16
Level 6-7: 20
Ours gym hours are the same as yours. Excel competes a few less hours than compulsory. We also have a 2-a-day program where the girls go 4-5 hours daily M-F. They work with a local private school.

Xcel - 6 hours
L3 - 9 hours (soon to be 12)
L4 - 12 hours (no L5 girls this year, they moved them all to 6)
Optionals - 21.5

Well, our L4s train 19.5 hours a week, but I don't think it's typical for our area, it's just our gym owner is trying to make our girls more competitive. Last year L4s trained 15.5 hours, and didn't do very well. The year before old L5 only trained 12 hours.
We'll see if more hours this season will produce better results. :)

Our hours fluctuate depending on level AND age. For instance, older L3/4 are there 14-16hrs and younger are only 9.5...thank goodness. That's more than enough for this 5 soon to be 6 year old

Our gym does significantly fewer hours than most in our area. But since it seems we are competitive, it's working out well. We've just completed our second year with a team at the gym (previously all rec), so things are still adjusting. We have two-hour sessions. And we don't have any optional girls yet. So:
L3: 6 hours required, 10 available
L4 and L5: 8 hours required, 12 available

You pay by session, so DD does 10 hours/week and pays more than the girls that choose to do 8. But 10 hours/week gets us a waiver from school PE, so that's why we choose to do more. Some of the gyms in our area require 16-20 hours/week for their L4 and L5 girls. I like the number of hours required for us, but I wish we had fewer practices with more hours each day -- that would save a lot of logistical headaches. But the two-hour practices does mean that they can offer practices at different times each day and that helps some families be able to get to enough sessions each week. And since the gym is still very much rec oriented (owners are still not very into having a team), our hours are programmed around the rec schedule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back