Higher scores/placings/ level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am wondering if most gymnasts, gyms, coaches, or parents prefer to score higher and place higher or just get skills and keep moving up levels?
Our gym does a little of both. My dd says she doesn't care much about scores and just wants to move up levels. She is not much of a performer so doesnt score high but gets skill pretty easily.

I don't think it is as simple as that. It is so individual. For my son, the decision to stay back a level was made based on many things. A lot of people would say that he had teh skills to move up, so he should have moved up. But, he was missing a few basics that will affect him greatly later if he doesn't get them. The coach made the decision to keep him back a level, have him perfect those basics, and get confidence by doing well. He has had a great season, is more consistent across the board, and has good confidence most of the time. (this is in MAG where there are no "move up" scores. Not so sure about WAG)

Other kids were moved up a level with the exact same skill set as my son. HOwever, they were older, or different personalities, or had other things that made the move up make more sense in their case.

I think it all depends on the child, their personality, and the coach. And the coach's philosophy should be based on each child, not necessarily an overall process, at least for our gym.

^^^ What Skschlag said ^^^

Every child is different but scores really don't mean alot as that can change as often as they change judges.

For my gym it usually depends on if they can get the mobility score, and if they have their routines ready by the time season comes around.
My coaches prefer if we get our routines at the end of the summer (for winter season that is), but I'm sure a lot of gyms have different rules.
But really, it all depends on the gymnast. There was this girl who scored very well in level 5, but stayed back another year because she wasn't ready to move up yet. Others barely make the mobility score and move up right away because they're ready, or older.

I am wondering if most gymnasts, gyms, coaches, or parents prefer to score higher and place higher or just get skills and keep moving up levels?
Our gym does a little of both. My dd says she doesn't care much about scores and just wants to move up levels. She is not much of a performer so doesnt score high but gets skill pretty easily.

My dd is like yours. She is more about the skills than the scores. Competition is not her thing andshe would rather just train and not compete. So for her, when she gets skills, she usually competes them. And when she has the skills for the next level, she would rather move up (in the next season, of course) rather stay at same level to improve her scores. Having said that, she typically is in the 35-high 36 range anyway, which most gyms would consider move up potential. But we see many girls in our area repeat until they are getting 37s+

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I'm really happy that DD's gym deals with this issue on a case-by-case basis. At her last gym, there were "hard and fast" rules about move-ups that were not really "hard and fast" and were constantly being broken, so you never really knew if your kid was going to get to move up or not and who did and who didn't move up seemed pretty random.

At her current gym, it's a decision made between the parents, the gymnast, and the coach. For example, one girl REALLY wanted to move up to level 6, even though she didn't have a stellar level 5 season. HC said that she recommended repeating level 5, but that if she was going to do level 6, she needed to know that she wouldn't be allowed to compete any event that the HC didn't think she'd be able to compete safely. I think some girls thrive on learning new skills and others thrive on coming home with lots of medals and trophies. I think that, as long as they have the move-up score and as long as safety is a #1 concern, I don't think that one way is better than the other.

HC consistently tells DD "don't worry about levels; worry about skills". She has skills for the next level (and part of the level after that), but isn't moving up faster than one level/year. Part of that is to avoid too much pressure and part of that is to avoid too much practice time too young.

I like to see progression with new skills...not necessarily always moving up a level a year...but not getting stuck trying to perfect one or two moves in any given level. As in, at my DD's old gym, she would have been forced to repeat L5 because her AA score was not high enough, however, her scores on all events were 9's or high 8's except vault. So, she would have repeated 5 to work on the same vault that they do at 6. Hmmmmmmm....didn't make sense to me, but what do I know?

Some girls really like to/need to win though, so for those girls repeating levels until perfection is attained would be better. We have both kinds of girls at our gym, and in many cases the coaches allow the gymnast/family to have input into moving up/not moving up based on goals.

For my DD it was all about getting the skills and moving up. She wanted to be with 'The big girls'. Then it was like a "grade" She say the next level as the next grade. SO 2 years in L7, meant she HAD to move to 8 or she was failing. Then 2 years of 8 meant she HAD to go to 9.

Then she hit L9, matured a bit.. and realized that she really did care about scores. She cared about placements too.. Now she is a 2nd year L9 and no intentions of going to L10 next year. She knows it isnt about just doing the skills. She also knows she is in it for the long haul and she should sit back and enjoy her skills and competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back