horizontal swings on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twisting007bigflip

Coach
Proud Parent
I know this is going to sound silly, and I'm a little embarrassed to be asking this in the first place, but...

What constitutes a swing above horizontal on the high bar? Do the kid's shoulders need to be open totally with their armpits at/above the horizontal plain to the bar? Or, does it count as a horizontal swing if the kid's body is fully extended, hollow and their toes are above their hips (which would be above their head) but the shoulders are not completely open? I guess I might have to draw a picture if no one can get a mental from my horrible description...:cool:

I am trying to get my level 4s and 5s to start swinging a little better, so I'm trying to teach them the first way I mentioned, but they are having mega trouble keeping grip on the bar, so they go flying backward on the counter swing.

thanks,

Basically, above horizontal means the lowest point of the body will be above the bar. I'm pretty sure they will be looking for a straight to hollow shape with the shoulders slightly neutral. I don't see any real issues with teaching the open shoulders as long as you can keep them from arching before the swing gets to the top.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back