Hours in the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Level 4's: 12 hours a week
Level 5's: 15 hours a week
Level 6's: 15 hours a week
Level 7's: 18 hours a week
Level 8's: 18 hours a week

The level 8 hours isn't that much, but I would definitely say that we are VERY productive during those hours. We have quite a bit of conditioning, and we practice bars and beam a lot. One of our gymnasts won beam at states in both level 6 and 7 with 9.5's!!! I'm one of the highest level gymnasts, considering that our gym is pretty new. All of our team gymnasts were "made" by our coach.

WOW you guys train a lot :
Our competitive girls all train 12 hours a week, only 9 in training: 2 hours fitness, 1 hour dance. This is p1-P3. P3 is about level 7 so about level 5-7 i suppose.

And our pre competitivie girls train anywhere from 4-9 hours (depending if they are going into competitive the next year)

L4: 8 hours
L5: 12 hours with the option of going 16 hours
L7+: 16 hours during the school year; 20 hours during the summer

We don't do L6 anymore, so most of the L5s who plan to test out of 6 and compete 7 the following season go 16 hours.

I see no reason to go more than 20 hours/week during the school year. One of the gyms in my city trains very limited hours (I think their 10s go about 15-16 hours), and their kids consistently place at JOs, Easterns...

One of the 4 girls that won first at the NCAA National event finals is from my dd's gym. She is the one that trained for up to 32 hours, though for NCAA, she can only train 20. She said that training that many hours really helped her be successful in collegiate gymnastics.

MamaofEnS

ds's team:
Level 4: 6 hours
Level 5/6: 12 hours (they went more over the summer though and probably will again this year)
Level 7-10: I think they go 20 hours

dd's team:

Level 5/6: 12 hours
Level 7-10: 16-20.

One of the 4 girls that won first at the NCAA National event finals is from my dd's gym. She is the one that trained for up to 32 hours, though for NCAA, she can only train 20. She said that training that many hours really helped her be successful in collegiate gymnastics.

MamaofEnS

That is really interesting. If you look on gymnastike there is an interview with Carly Janiga looking back at her NCAA and elite/ club career. The two pieces of advice she gives to L10s which she wished she had done are to smile more on floor and to do less training/ repetitions to save her body more. So obviously lots of different opinions out there.

Level 3 ; Four to Six hours a week
Level 4; Six to Nine hours a week
Level 5; 12 hours a week
level 6; 15 hours
Level 7-10; 20 to 25 hours a week

Em is level 4 and she is in the gym -9 hours + 1 hour of tumbling and then helps with 2 "baby" classes for 2 hours.
El is level 3-7 hours a week.

They both love gym and would live there if they could. They are learning so much and doing well. :)

Preteam: 4 hours
Level 4: 7.5 hours
Level 5: 10.5 hours
Level 6: 12 hours
Level 7: 15 hours
Level 8,9,10: 20 hours
Prep Opt Novice: 4-6, plus add'tl 2 hour open WO
Prep Opt Intermediate: 6 hours, plus add'tl 2 hour open WO
Prep Opt Advanced: 6 hours minimum, suggested 9, plus 2 hour open WO

All of our levels are competitive at states, regionals, and had several national qualifiers and champs.

I think the time is productive, although there is "downtime" so that it is not 4 hours of highly intense workouts.

Currently I'm coaching in a primarily T&T program:

-Beginners 1-2 h
-Intermediate 1.5-3h (this is like preteam)
-Levels 5-7ish 5h
-Levels 7+ (and any lower level team kids who want to put in the work), 7.5h

Our artistic girls are all compulsories and prep ops, and I think they're 4-6ish hours depending on their goals and schedules and if they're also doing T&T or not.

This is really interesting.

Pre-team: 6 hours
Club Level 4 - 6: 9 hours for younger, 12 for older
Club Level 7 - 8: 12 or 16 hours

Pre-elite Level 4 - 6: 10 - 15 hours (these are TOPs-equivalent gymnasts)
Pre-elite Level 8/9: 20 - 25 hours
Hopes/ Pre elite: 25 hours

These are all USAG approximations as UK level work differently.
The hours are used very productively and there is very little time when they are not doing something. We don't believe that they come to sit around, so we use a lot of circuits and drills in rotation with coach shaping.

level 3- 4 hours
level 4- 9 hours
level 5- 12 hours
level 6- 16 hours
Optionals- 20 hours
Daytime training group (optionals only)- 24 hours

Our L4s and L5s do 12 hrs/week, with an optional extra hour of dance class once a week. Our L6s also do 12 hrs with the option of an extra 4 hours and/or a hour-long dance class. I'm training 6/7 and hoping to get some L7 skills soon to compete in the spring, though it may not go through, and I do a mandatory 16 hrs/week with a mandatory extra hour of dance. I think our L7s (exclusive) and up do 20 hrs/week with an extra hour of dance. This is during the summer - during the school year there is no dance class and optional hours are 18 per week with an extra 3 (little instruction - mostly just open gym) offered.

L3: 4 hours
L4: 7.5 hours
L5: 10.5 hours
L6: 16 hours
L7: 16 hours
L8: 12 hours
L9: 21 hours
L10: 21 hours

Seeing as we're fairly new to this, I can't explain the dip in L8 times.

The girls (from L4 and up) also have optional add-on specialty classes for each of the apparatus, plus TOPs training if selected (by the HC).

On L3, they do offer additional routine practice times in the lead up to meets - usually an additional 3 hours on Saturdays. I'm sure other levels do the same.

We've had Elites in the past and they usually train around 24-30 hours/week, depending on their preferences. Usually those that attend school outside the home are closer to the 24.

Ok, my gym is kinda weird with the groupings but it all works out really well:

Green team (working level 5 and 6): 12 hours, I think
Blue team (working level 7/prep op): 16 hours
Orange team (working level 8): 20 hours
Red team (12-14 year olds working level 9): 21 hours
Purple team (older 9's and 10's): not sure what their summer hours are; probably between 22-24 hours

Levels 4&5: 6 hours per week
Level 6: 8-11 hours per week
Level 7: 10-12.5 hours per week
Level 8: 10-15.5 hours per week
Level 9: 13.5-15.5 hours per week
Level 10: currently no level 10s

Even though we train fewer hours than other gyms in the area, we place quite well at meets and have a very successful program. However, sometimes I wish that I could go more often.

Pre-Comp-9 hours
Level 4-12 hours
Level 5-16 hours
Level 6-18 hours
Level 7-10-20-25 hours (in these levels you have the option of coming extra days except in level 10 you have to go the 25 hours, or atleast 22.)

I am in the level 7-10 group, even though I am still I guess considered level 6, but all I need is like 2 skills and then I'll be level 7. My coach said that if I really work hard in the summer, then I can make it to level 8!

Last edited by a moderator:
Traning Hours Levels 1-6

Well our gym is quite small and they beleive in not over working the girls so we dont go nearly as much as other gym's.We are very productive when we do practice and we do consitantly place.:)We all have the option to train for an extra hour and a half at open gyms though.

Level 1-2 2 hours a week 2 days a week for 1 hour
Level 3- 4 hours a week 2 days a week for 2 hours
Pre-Team-(Level 4 Fun Meet's only)4 hours a week 2 days a week for 2 hours
Level 4-(Sanction)6 hours a week 2 days a week for 3 hours
Level 5-(Sanction)9 hours a week 3 days a week for 3 hours
Level 6-(Sanction)12 hours a week 4 days a week for 3 hours

I'm not sure I'm correct on the younger levels but the girls on our team are quite young so the miniscule hours is good for them I guess.

Levels 4&5: 6 hours per week
Level 6: 8-11 hours per week
Level 7: 10-12.5 hours per week
Level 8: 10-15.5 hours per week
Level 9: 13.5-15.5 hours per week
Level 10: currently no level 10s

Even though we train fewer hours than other gyms in the area, we place quite well at meets and have a very successful program. However, sometimes I wish that I could go more often.

I forgot to add that during the time we are at the gym, we (generally) work hard, so there is not much down time or wasted time. I think this is a very large part of why we are so successful as a program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back