WAG How are your skills taught?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
Just curious..........

skills taught step by step, with spotting?

OR

just attempt to throw the skill and get tips?

From what I have seen for my son, there are progressions that they do. Steps that they take. Some involve spotting, some involve taking small steps to get to the end goal. I haven't seen too much of "just throw the skill" and get tips. If the kid is learning somethign new that they just have to "go for" the coach is usually right there to spot.

For DD, it depends on the skill...for new tumbling, it usually starts on the tumble track w/ a spot...then tumble track w/o spot and tips, then floor w/ spot...then floor, no spot w/ tips. For the most part, if the skill is something dangerous if done wrong, there is always initial spotting, but eventually things get to the point where there is no spotting and tips...it's a process.

Beam skills follow a similar process as floor...first low beam w/ spot, then low beam w/ tips....high beam w/ spot, then high beam w/ tips.

That depends on the skill and what mats and stuffs there. For example, when I started twisting, I learned by trial and error. But when I started double backs off bars, I'd drill timers onto higher surfaces, then when I was ready, I threw one into the pit, it was a success, so thats how I learned that. However, when I learned tsuks, I had spot for a while. At my gym, we have a rule that you can't get spotted on beam, you have to work your way up, because spotting on beam causes fears. What happens when you needed a coach to just "be there", and you move up, and start learning bhs and you can't do a bwo on your own. Do you get what I'm saying?
It all depends on how comfortable the gymnast is with the skill after drilling it a lot.

My daughter's old gym generally did the "attempt to throw the skill and get tips". I think that may be ok if the coach feels you can do the skill and just wants to see if you can do it. But this is the manner they taught everything. Her new coach does the former. I only have two experiences from two different gyms and/or two different coaches, but I've deduced from experience that her former coaches MAY not know how to progressively teach a skill or offer drills to do a skill and as such does the latter type training and hope for the best. i think they see a skill somewhere and then try to teach it at their gym without trying to learn more about it. I think they just try to "wing" it. The result is the gymnast picks up bad habits and incorrectly goes into a skill. Just my observation which could be so wrong.

Step by step with each step building the foundation for the next step. If and when I, have kids try something they haven't worked/progressed to, it's an attempt to see which skill out of two or three new skills they seem more inclined to have success with...... but only if those attempts can be done safely into a pit or with a spot.

Once that's been done......it's straight to the step by step process to fill in the gaps presented by their trial efforts.

Step by step with each step building the foundation for the next step. If and when I, have kids try something they haven't worked/progressed to, it's an attempt to see which skill out of two or three new skills they seem more inclined to have success with...... but only if those attempts can be done safely into a pit or with a spot.

Once that's been done......it's straight to the step by step process to fill in the gaps presented by their trial efforts.

Yes...exactly...there is a bit of "chuck and duck" involved from time to time...but only in a safe manner as described above.

Mainly, in my gym,there are six steps to every skill.
1-The demonstration. Such as showing what it is and maybe doing some pre-drills.
2-Taking it apart. This would be more drills to get the movement and idea of the skill.
3- Whole skill with a spot. The coach spots you on the whole skill to make sure you're doing it right.
4- on-your-own work. Doing the skill on say the low beam, trampoline, work bar or vault trainer( depending on the skill).
5- getting comfortable. Maybe moving up a beam or doing it with out a spot.
6- "competition ready" Where you can do it as though it would be performed in a meet tomorrow.
Hope that helps!

For beam we normally go on a low beam with a 8 in extender pad thing on it and a low beam with panel mats the first day. Then start lowering the panel mats until you can do it on the beam that almost touches the floor. Then raise the beam with each turn until it's higher. Sometimes we do the same but go to a high beam with lots of mats and then move one each turn. Some girls do it on the floor then just chunk it on a medium-high beam... Everyone is different. On floor we go into the pit, then put a mat in the pit then into our resi mat. Then diagonal with a 4 in mat and then sting mat. Not in one day... Sometimes spot is thrown in there somewhere.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back