WAG How big age difference is your group or gym allow

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm 17 and there are girls in my group who are 8. It all works out fine and everyone gets along great! The younger girls inspire us to be more fearless and we all help eachother. I would not like it if I was forced to be with everyone around my age. This way is interesting and we can all learn from eachother.

My DD trains with girls (different levels) between ages 5-17. No one seems to be uncomfortable with it, and the older girls really treat the littles like baby sisters.

DDs group this year (L8-national/L10) was 14 girls, age 9-17. They share two coaches so were split into "little" and "big".... More due to bars and vault settings than anything else. Her "little" group was 7 girls, aged 9-13.

Next year is national/pre-national only: 6 girls ages 10-16. They're a little family and will do awesome together :). Four days a week they'll train with the 8/9 group and share the two coaches (but will rotate to their events as a group of six) and one day a week it will be two coaches with just the six girls, with the gym to themselves.

Love those ratios.

Girls 8 -18 yrs
Boys 7-19 yrs

It works, my kids are in about the middle of the age range - they have lots of little sister/brothers and lots of big sister/brothers.
I actually like that they train in a diverse age group.

My 8 year old is in a group with a 5 yo in and a 10 yo but mainly 7/8/9. There is a 5 year spread in competing ages.
My 5 year old is in a group with 5-8 yo but again due to birthdays covers a 5 year spread of ages. Mine is the youngest in this group and you can tell, although that is probably mostly personality not age...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back