WAG How do you do your hair?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just for fun, I thought it would be cool to see how everyone does their hair for practice and meets. I just do a regular ponytail, and for my little sisters I do a crown braid into pony. ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1362602064.873971.jpg

Pink and Fluffy has bunches, sometimes with a plait hairband like you do for practice. She hates wearing a ponytail as she says it interferes with her forward roll on beam ! lol

For competitions I do two french plaits which I sew together at the nape of her neck with a ribbon the same colour as the ribbon on her leo.

Snapshot 3 (16-11-2011 20-36).png

'Margo

(Scuse her bottom eating her leo)

I just put mine in a ponytail bun (not a real bun, like the one where you just don't pull the hair all the way through the hairband type bun.) and use a bunch of clips cuz I have layers in my hair and it never stays up! Aha. And for meets I French braid back my side bangs Into a ponytail, and then put the ponytail into a REAL bun.

I love doing hair! So I experiment on my poor DDs! Lately I have been making hair bows too... So it's French braiding the crown in a circle all around and then a curly ponytail . With a bow.

It's probably just self confidence, but the girls score higher with bigger bows!ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1362612297.848293.jpg

My munchkin has very fine, wispy blonde hair. So, I usually put in a pony, then braid, then wrap it in a bun. Then I clip all around her head to keep the crazy flyaways at bay!
If we're at a more fun meet, it's just a pony with tight ringlet curls.

My DD's hair is very fine, so we usually do 1 or two crown braids with a low side pony with ringlets. She doesn't like ponytails on the back of her head as she thinks they make her backrolls on floor uncomfortable.

My DD does her own hair for meets. She found her hairstyle on You Tube. She uses a ton of tiny little ponytail holders that are clear and makes a diamond pattern on her hair, then pulls it into a ponytail in back. Her hair is very wispy, so this makes sure it stays back and off her face.

I don't think neat hair styles get the credit they deserve. They're seen as kind of frivolous or fun when they're very much about utility and ease of movement. What's actually frivolous is a coach not spotting because they have both hands raking through very tangled, very short, very thick, or very layered hair due to a snapped or loose band. We have to be careful not to hurt them, and we also have to be thorough so we don't have to stop and do it again. Whether it's for a meet or their scheduled workout, I applaud you parents who secure the hair in a way the girls can move in and so that it doesn't fly in their coaches face(s) <---looking at you pig tails!

Whether it's sewn in braids or a ton of clips /bow

For training, my daughter has her hair in pigtail plaits which are then brought together at the back with another hairband. This holds the hair in place much better than a single pony tail, and means that all the hair is plaited, so no knots! :) It isn't the most attractive hairstyle, but quite frankly I don't care about that. She's happy with how it looks and feels. And I'm happy that I can do it in the morning before school and it lasts neatly right through to the end of the day including training.

For competitions, we have a slicked back bun with hair net, bun pins and scrunchie, and at least 3 layers of hair spray all over her head, letting each layer dry in between. She LOVES "competition hair"! It looks neat, and stays in place well due to all the hair spray.

we also have a few things stashed in the hair box that I wouldn't be without

1. Screw pins - spin_pins_by_goody.jpgsooooo much easier than traditional bobby pins and hold hair really well, both fine and heavy

2. Small clear elastic bands - the kind used for cornrows, great for plaited styles or pinapples.

3. Large blunt upholstery needle like this tufting-upholstery-needle-white-thumb10757920.jpg - I use it for sewing plaits together with ribbon or thread.

I would say hairspray but dd is allergic to EVERYTHING so no hairspray, shampoo, get etc etc,

OOh and 4. A decent haircut that it neither too long, too short or too layered !

gwen hair.jpgThis is DD's hair from her last meet. According to her she loves it. Stays secure and out of her face. I think from this weekend's meet I'll try and find some colored little hair ponies that match her team colors.

We're not competing yet, but I love doing my daughter's hair fun for just about any reason. Even practice days often get fun hair if I'm the one bringing her.

One thing we found last year that I love is the whirl-a-style for buns. They really make a perfect bun, and come in several sizes and colors to mesh well with hair color. (If you do it right, and tight, it shouldn't show anyway though.)

It's fun to use the little tiny ones in conjunction with the bigger ones too!

Whirl-a-Style

I have really thick and really long hair (I'm supposed to cut it, but I just...can't! :rolleyes:) so to find a way to keep my hair out of the way is a nightmare. My mom did pigtails a couple times until I finally complained to her about thwacking myself painfully in the face repeatedly wasn't fun. :snooty: We've tried regular buns but they always ended up HUGE and really heavy, not to mention they fell out. So my mom does up my hair in several braids, ties them together to make a ponytail (or braid-tail..hehe), and either leaves it, or makes a bun out of it. For practice, no one can be bothered ("'Aint nobody got time for that!") so I just put my hair into a ponytail, and endure the attacks of "Cut your hair!". XD

Our gym requires a bun like this if you are in compulsories -[video=youtube;927AhGfjUls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=927AhGfjUls[/video]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back