WAG How hot does your gym get?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Just a question.....does anyone have actual 'issues' with the gym getting too hot?
how hot is too hot?
what does your gym do if they have no AC in the summer?
we have AC but it seems to never be cold enough!!!!

My DDs gym gets into the 100s. We haven't been there for the full heat of summer yet, but it's already pretty hot some days. They open the garage bay doors and run fans, but the girls are all still dripping sweat. The balcony area, where parents wait, is pretty uninhabitable, but then heat rises. My other DDs gym, which is just around the corner, is in a smaller warehouse setting and they are able to run fans and air conditioners to keep it pretty cool in there.

Dd's gym is a big metal building. When it gets 110 outside, there's not much hope for the poor a/c.

They open the bays and run industrial fans, but it's still hot. I'm guessing at least 85-90. Dd wears a wet cooling headband and has a water spray fan, plus of course she drinks tons of water.

I'm in awe of the girls. I couldn't do it. That's for sure.

Wow that's hot! Temperature rarely rises above 77 degrees in these parts. We had a very confusing heat wave about two weeks ago that reached 100 degrees outside. But because the gym is a brick building with comparatively small windows, it stayed pretty cold. We're lucky. No A/C needed.

Our gym is in the lower level of a school (ground floor level from the back... down a set of stairs from the front - school was built on a hill). It can get into the 90s, but there are 2 large industrial fans in the rafters. Also, we practice in the evenings, so nut during the heat of the day.

At the gym where we do open gym and occasional privates, it was 110º when we arrived on Friday. The coach opened the doors and got 3 industrial fans running - it was barely 80º outside, so the fan in the doorway helped some... so did the fan pointed at me :)

The coach also sent YG to get a drink regularly - after running, after stretching, and basically every 10 minutes after that.

Dd's gym is a big metal building. When it gets 110 outside, there's not much hope for the poor a/c.

They open the bays and run industrial fans, but it's still hot. I'm guessing at least 85-90. Dd wears a wet cooling headband and has a water spray fan, plus of course she drinks tons of water.

I'm in awe of the girls. I couldn't do it. That's for sure.

My daughter's gym is very similar. Our kids train right over summer when it would be over 40 degrees in their building every day. It's not unusual for it to be in the mid to high 30's throughout December, January and February, so our girls are pretty good at coping with the heat. On the worst days, their coaches pull everything back a little and have regular breaks for big water fights. They take tubs out to the taps in the carpark and throw water over each other, sit in the tubs, and generally have a lot of fun for 20 minutes or so, then head back in to get to work again.

At my daughter's old gym it was often in the upper 90s inside the gym. There is no a/c, but they have really big fans and also fans that blow mist out. When looking for a new gym I used having a/c has an important factor in deciding which gym to choose.

Wow! I'm glad I'm not alone! My kids gym gets SO got and stuffy, and the Big As* Fans are going full speed but it still is so hot.
It got up in the mid 90s and the coaches even were sitting down and misting the girls....

Here in Australia it's pretty cold at the moment. My daughter's gym has probably been hovering around 10-15 deg C (50-60 deg F) over the last week or so. We've all rushed out and bought (or made) them skin tight warm tops to wear over their long-sleeve leos. They're not allowed anything loose so that the coaches don't injure themselves getting caught up in loose clothing when spotting. When you're freezing, it's hard to want to do much!

Our gym has 2 big swamp coolers that keep it fairly ok during the summer. I mean, they get hot, but usually don't really have any problems.

Very hot in ours! We occasionally cancel practices due to excessive heat. A few years back a girl just had to much and passed out. We rent our building so we aren't allowed to put ac in.... It gets miserable. Yesterday we were sweaty and gross, our Leo's get soaked and we get tired quickly. Basically we turn big fans on and open doors and get water.

Get far enough south, and you'll have to have air conditioning. I'd bet there's not a gym in this state without AC.

I live in Australia on the coast we usually get days 40+ Celsius 100+ Fahrenheit we usually get a cool change in the afternoon but if it is still 100+ at time of training it is canceled. We have a tin shed with no a/c

Here in Australia it's pretty cold at the moment. My daughter's gym has probably been hovering around 10-15 deg C (50-60 deg F) over the last week or so. We've all rushed out and bought (or made) them skin tight warm tops to wear over their long-sleeve leos. They're not allowed anything loose so that the coaches don't injure themselves getting caught up in loose clothing when spotting. When you're freezing, it's hard to want to do much!
Our gym was (40 Fahrenheit) 5 degrees tonight could not feel my toes or fingers while coaching

At my gym we have no AC--we are a small non profit gym and cant afford that kind of thing. Its not too bad when its just hot, but when it gets really humid is when it gets miserable. The building used to be some kind of warehouse so we can open these big garage doors but that only helps if its not too humid and there is some breeze. They have a few wall mounted fans that do an okay job and they have some fans that blow in air from outside which at least keeps air flowing, but when it gets to 80% or more humidity, fans can only do so much... so we do lots of water breaks.

Where I'm from, that's pretty warm. We're so used to weeks of being in the negatives for winter that lower temperatures don't bother us. My gym is usually about 80-90 degrees, but it feels like 130 to me. If only we had an ac...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back