WAG How long does your gym close for the holidays?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thegymfreak

Gymnast
At my gym, rec classes and pre team are canceled for 2 weeks. The gym is still open to team members for practice (optional season is coming) But the gym is completely shut down on Christmas eve, Christmas, New year's eve, and new years. What does your gym do?

They had practice yesterday and open gym today (we aren't there, yay!), will close down for the four holiday days, but then be back on regular schedule starting 1/2. To make up for missed practice days, though, there are a whole slew of practices in bizarre time blocks between 12/26 and 12/29. No real pressure to come if people will be out of town, but the option is there for people who aren't traveling. Our boys have a meet the first weekend in January, so I'd guess most of the boys will be back in the gym by around 12/28 or so unless they are traveling far away.

They had practice yesterday and open gym today (we aren't there, yay!), will close down for the four holiday days, but then be back on regular schedule starting 1/2. To make up for missed practice days, though, there are a whole slew of practices in bizarre time blocks between 12/26 and 12/29. No real pressure to come if people will be out of town, but the option is there for people who aren't traveling. Our boys have a meet the first weekend in January, so I'd guess most of the boys will be back in the gym by around 12/28 or so unless they are traveling far away.
Our gym's prep opt practice meet is on the 29th. I can't go unfortunately. Our schedule is back to normal 1-2-13 as well, and first meet is the 19th.

My Dd had a regular practice this past week. She is off Sun-Wed. Then has practice from 9-4:30 Thurs-Sat. Off again Sun-Tues. normal practice schedule resumes on Wednesday.

As far as the long practices go Thursday-Sat. The morning practice is optional but the afternoon practice 12:30-4:30) is mandatory. My Dd is choosing to do the long practices.

My dd's gym is closed from Chritmas Eve - New Years Day. Regular practice schedule resumes on January 2.

We run a modified schedule. The only days the gym is truly closed are the "eves" and the "days". Then, if you are normally at the gym on any of the other days, your hours change to daytime hours rather than nighttime hours.

Last edited:
DD's gym is closed until January 2nd, but the optionals have days between Christmas and New Year's that they can come in and work out with the coaches. For the compulsory girls, less than 2 weeks off from practice. I am going to enjoy every minute of it. :D DD hates it because they were doing alot of "fun stuff" (up training).

The gym my dd goes to closed on 22nd December and re-opens on Jan 2nd. This is the first day back for all including rec classes as far as I know, my dd will not be back until 5th Jan as we are away.

Our gym is closed from the 24-2nd. However, for the boys, there is no practice on the 24-26. Other than that, they have practice every day!

Classes are off from 21st- 4th. But there are practice times available for 3-4 days each week for team.

Hi! At my gym, rec classes have off from 21-3. Team, however has practices every day after Tuesday (starting 26) , with the last practice being 30'th. Then, back to gym on the 2'nd. I'm glad that we don't have 2 weeks off or something like that, because it can be hard to get back to gym after a long break, especially with meet season starting. Now, we have a few days off, but can still stay in shape. Now if we could have a day off on Russian Christmas( Jan 8), then life would be perfect. Happy holidays everyone!

We have four days off so the coaches can go visit their families and such. I'm so bored I'm doing yoga...I hate yoga.

The whole gym is closed Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, and New Years Eve/Day. All the rec classes go back to normal this Wednesday, and PT and Team have earlier hours since they don't have school. No big break for us. And actually longer days for some of the staff, since they will be in early for team, and the rec classes are regular times.

Rec and pre-team have no practices, but optionals practice every day except Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day(compulsory team come less but still have practice). They even have practice New Year's Eve (just earlier in the day). I'm very happy with that schedule because DD's old gym used to close for 10 days, and she would drive me CRAZY by the end of break with all her extra energy.

My gym closes for 2 weeks. It's rough being such a long time!!
The Team might have 1 or 2 practices during the closing, the rec team has none. This is a work week so a lot of times they will replace equipment, clean, clean out pits etc.... so it would be hard to practice around anyway.
I'm on the Rec team and because of this closure we will only have one week for preparation for a meet.

We close for 2 weeks. I usually get bored after 2 says but this year I need the break! We're all (coaches) going in on 27th to lift up the sprung floor and one of the beams and matting because our lights are all getting replaced and we need to get a cherry picker in! But other than that it is chill time!

At our gym it depends on the level of the gymnasts. I think the higher levels only stop for a few days. DD is step 5 and has just finished for the year and goes back 14 Jan. The lower steps go back 21 Jan. I'm going to try to get her to do a bit of conditioning and stretching over the break so it isn't a shock when she goes back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back