How long?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast_bre

How long should I hold my handstand against the wall to gain arm strength? Should I do it multiple times? How often? THANKS xx

Well the Chinese do anywhere from 15-45 minutes (though I think the 45m is as a punishment).

Bare in mind, you can't just jump into 10-15 minutes on day 1.

For preteam gymnasts, I would probably do 2-3 minutes of volume using 30 second holds. For compulsory, hopefully they all could hold 1 minute 3-5 times but I've had girls this year who couldn't because their wrists or elbows weren't up to it (so we had to scale back on time or work straight arm planks or PB support).

One of the BtGB HS workouts is 30s on, 45 as rest 12x so it takes 15 minutes. I generally start out my compulsory gymnasts with roughly half of that, 4-7x and build from there, maybe adding 1 more set per week or 2 weeks. I prefer to let them rest at least 30s as 20 just doesn't seem to be enough. 45 is pretty good if you have the time to allow yourself that much rest.

It helps to know how long you can hold one set as. If 1 minute is your max hold, it is doubtful you are going to be able to do it 5x even with a 1 minute rest period.

yes I agree with Dunno 60 sec holds 5 times to start. My dd does this but also does a push up while in the hand stand against the wall just before she comes down. But she started with out the hand stand.

She now does the above in sets. So she does 60 sec 5x's then takes 60 sec to rest to count as one set. She does 5 sets now. It took her a couple of years to work up to this so go slow so you don't hurt yourself

I start my gymnasts out with 30 second holds rather than pushing 60 seconds of ugly handstands and falling all over the place. For pre-team and compulsory level girls, they seem to pick up pretty quickly and advance to the one minute mark if they are worked consistently. They also have some sense of body positions, shapes, and awareness which helps.
With the high schoolers I'm currently working with, 30 second handstands in the proper shape is incredibly difficult (they were taught to do them backs to the wall with all kinds of crazy angles). So with them I'll do 30 second holds 4x with a partner holding their feet- this way the handstand-er and the partner can get a better sense of correct body position. At least that's how it works in my mind, rarely does it actually play out that way... I love to eventually work them up to 45-60 second holds, but am taking it very slowly. So don't feel bad if you need to start out small- good handstands require lots of practice and patience. Also, I prefer my gymnasts to do their wall handstands stomach against the wall to encourage better positions. There is still room for error, but not as much as with back to the wall handstands.

ds when first started preteam - they did 2 x 60 seconds stomach to the wall (with coach telling them 'no neck, no ears' - whatever that means!)

I'd say to gain arm strength, hold it against the wall for 15 seconds 3 times twice a day for a first week, then the second, up it to 30, then the third to 45, etc until you get to 1.5 mins three times twice a day. also while you're doing it, work on your form. :D

It really depends on your current strength level. If you are in handstand and you can no longer hold the proper extended shape then you need to come down and rest. If you hold it past the point where your shape drops you will not be improving your handstand, you will be practicing bad habits and getting good at doing it wrong, and you will most likely hurt your back.

We do one hold of three minutes which is absolutely brutal if you have bad wrists or elbows. Only our toes and nose can touch the wall, legs straight, ankles together, etc. If someone falls, we do ten pushups and start time over.

I think 60 second holds 5 times would be more beneficial though.

Well, I think this one in not very effective. Actually, I tried it but I got my hand swollen.
I was pain for 1 week and after this experience I didn't do it again. :)
Any solution?
regards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back