How many skills does your gymnast work on at once?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

juststartingout

Proud Parent
I've been watching my dd's gymnastics class and it seems they are all over the place in skills. I'll give an example for floor but it happens on bars and floor not so much on beam and vault. They are working on front walkovers, back walkovers, front handsprings, back handsprings, front tucks back tucks all at the same time. I would guess a lot of gyms do it this way but the thing that concerns me is that they might work on something this week and then not go back to it again for a whole week or two. It just seems if they worked on 2 or 3 things at a time they would learn those a lot quicker. My dd is only 6 so she will be doing really well and almost have something and then they won't do it for a few weeks and then it seems she is starting all over again in the learning process. My dd already had her back walkover when she started and has gotten her back handspring but that is only because she goes to open gym at my other dd's cheer gym. The other kids in the class have not learned one new skill that they can do independently. I'm just wondering if this is normal. As far as new skills she has learned to do independently in the last year only 1 new bar skill, 0 on floor since I know she learned the handspring at the other gym, 0 on vault, and on beam there has been improvement in balance but she could do all of what she is doing now when she started. I know it's the jumping back and forth that is holding her back because I've started having her work with my dd's cheer coach who used to be a gymnastics coach and she has been working front walkovers with her and in 2 classes she's already done 1 or 2 by herself.

This sounds about right for a rec class. Many skills are introduced to keep the classes varied and challenging. in the JO program, typically the necessary skills for the current/desired competition level are focused on, but even then up-training occurs- introducing skills for the next level- sometimes even two levels ahead. I guess you would have to look at your motivation for doing gym.
Is your dd taking classes for socialization, fitness, and fun or are you hoping that she will step into the competition track in the future? (Which also includes the previous, but more focus on conditioning and discipline and perfection of specific skill sets.) Either way- I would not be terribly focused on what skills she is learning as long as they are being taught safely. If you do decide that team is where you're headed, you might want to mention this to your daughter's teacher and get his/her input or advice on how to proceed. Good luck.

This sounds bizarre, rec class or not. No good program teaches back tucks before they can do RO BHS independently. Is there another option?

This sounds bizarre, rec class or not. No good program teaches back tucks before they can do RO BHS independently. Is there another option?

Standing tucks for cheer maybe? Still sounds odd though.

As for the OP, its pretty common to work several skills at one time, particularly in rec classes. There is such a range in the type of girls in these classes. Some will be better with forward vs. Backward skills. Same for other events. I also think these classes are less about getting the skills independently and more about gaining confidence and having fun. The girls who seem to learn these skills quickly in these classes usually are pushed toward the developmental path.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Standing tucks for cheer maybe? Still sounds odd though.

I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen - but this is NOT what a quality, progressive gymnastics program does, even in the rec program. They learn walkovers/limbers, then handsprings, then tucks when they can consistently do RO BHS BHS. When I was younger I attended a gym that was all rec, but still had pretty good coaching, and I did learn all these skills (basically level 6 skills - aerials, back tucks, flyaways, back walkover on beam, etc) in a rec program with pretty low hours and no competitions. But it was one skill at a time progressively (Romanian coach who did gymnastics at Bela's school).

Typically if a child progresses to this level of rec (RO BHS BHS/BT) they are put in some sort of team group whether it be JO or prep op, etc. There is really not much hope of mastering skills further on 1-2 hours per week. If there is no competition program, then they will typically recommend a competitive one (this is what happened with me when I was 10, and I eventually competed at 11 moving quickly through the levels). This is important to most "gymnastics people" who know what opportunities are available.

Also, if a child did not have a kip on bars or close, then I would not teach them a back tuck even if tumbling was good. A good program would spend more time on bars if the kids have walkovers and handsprings but not the equivalent bars skills.

I'm sorry I didn't specify, she is in a developmental class and is already doing I guess what you consider mock meets. They do their skills at meet but do not compete just get scored.

There are other options but I don't feel there are any good ones. I don't want her to be hard core competitive but she is results driven so I would like her to actually gain skills.

She's 6. She has a lot of skills already, there will be natural plateaus where they don't seem to progress as they perfect existing skills and gain strength.

Obviously I can't see your dd's training so I dint know why they are doing what they are. Could be because they're not a good gym, could be trying to avoid boredom or injury from many repetitions of certain skills in such a young gymnast? Are they working full skills or just the drills for stuff like bt? I don't know what her form is like, they may want the basics perfect.

At our gym at 6/7 years the focus is on conditioning rather than skills. To prevent injury and to give a incredible base so skills are easy, and safe, once they start learning. Even elite track kids aren't taught bhs until they're 7. It is really slow and at times feels like theyre getting nowhere, and I know a few parents have pulled their kids because they aren't learning the fancy stuff.

If there aren't any other options for you, there's not much you can do but trust the coaches, or ask them what their plans are. Or switch to cheer, which sounds like it might be a better fit for you. Many people seem to think being good at gymnastics is learning as many skills as young as possible, when actually it's quite a slow process if you want a quality long term athlete.

There are other gyms out there with other programs It can't hurt to look and compare.

How about talking to the coach or owner and voice your concerns and see what they say. After all they may have a very good reason for running their program this way. Never be afraid to ask questions.

That can't be good. I don't know what to do because the other options aren't any better.

She's 6. She has a lot of skills already, there will be natural plateaus where they don't seem to progress as they perfect existing skills and gain strength.

Obviously I can't see your dd's training so I dint know why they are doing what they are. Could be because they're not a good gym, could be trying to avoid boredom or injury from many repetitions of certain skills in such a young gymnast? Are they working full skills or just the drills for stuff like bt? I don't know what her form is like, they may want the basics perfect.

At our gym at 6/7 years the focus is on conditioning rather than skills. To prevent injury and to give a incredible base so skills are easy, and safe, once they start learning. Even elite track kids aren't taught bhs until they're 7. It is really slow and at times feels like theyre getting nowhere, and I know a few parents have pulled their kids because they aren't learning the fancy stuff.

If there aren't any other options for you, there's not much you can do but trust the coaches, or ask them what their plans are. Or switch to cheer, which sounds like it might be a better fit for you. Many people seem to think being good at gymnastics is learning as many skills as young as possible, when actually it's quite a slow process if you want a quality long term athlete.
They are teaching full skills. Cheer isn't for my daughter. Her older sister cheers so she tried that first and didn't like it so we found gymnastics which she loves. I'm not as much concerned with the fact that she isn't gaining skills as I am about working so many skills at once you can't master any of them. If they were doing just conditioning and drills I would be OK with that it just baffles me that she's working on tucks.

They are teaching full skills. Cheer isn't for my daughter. Her older sister cheers so she tried that first and didn't like it so we found gymnastics which she loves. I'm not as much concerned with the fact that she isn't gaining skills as I am about working so many skills at once you can't master any of them. If they were doing just conditioning and drills I would be OK with that it just baffles me that she's working on tucks.

Ok - I seriously can't grasp this. I thought you had meant drills for the skills. Are they doing full spots on the bt from standing/robhs? Are they letting the girls chuck the bt off a tall block?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

They spot the girls doing it off of a tall mat. They only do them standing never running. They do spot running handsprings when some girls don't have a decent roundoff. Coach has gotten kicked in the face many times by a round off gone off course.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News