Parents How much is too much (hours) for 7y/o L.4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peasmama

Proud Parent
My 7 y/o trains 10 hrs/week plus 2 more of open gym, (which she requested). This has been her new schedule for about 2 months. Last week she started saying she's tired and could I pick her up early from open gym. I thought she was getting a cold or something because she usually doesn't want to stop.
This week she wanted to leave class early at the break between reg class and optional 2 extra hours for conditioning/prep for mini spring season. Then she asked if she could skip practice. She's been complaining of various sore muscles, too. She never complains about gymnastics.
So, I cancelled her open gym and am considering dropping the extra 2 conditioning/meet prep hrs.
Any suggestions, input? FWIW: she asked me "why." When I told her I dropped the open gym. She accepted when I told her she seemed over-tired, we agreed to see how she feels when it comes to open gym.
Thoughts?

My opinion.....keep her in a state of "I wanna do more gym" as opposed to wanting to do less. Ten hours isn't too much for some 7yo's, but in your dd's case, at least at the moment........well, you know.

I would tell her only regular hours for a couple of weeks. If she is really keen by then she can pick up the extra meet prep hours again. No open gym for a few months even if she feels like it on the day. Her core training hours are really the most important and she needs to be raring to go for those. Kids often get a dip in energy after Christmas in the long dark winter months. I would add early bedtimes and make sure she is eating healthy.

She will probably be back to usual in a month.

So many other thing could be going on making her tired, like growing, stress from school, some lingering cold, even lower Vit D levels. Jan/Feb always seem to be the hardest months of the year. I don't think 10 hours is too much, but every child is different. I have one child that can handle the long practices better than the other. I also find the two months directly after a bump up in training hours to be the hardest, because there is some transitioning needed. Switching from summer practice to fall practice and school, is also exhausting for a few weeks. So many things could be going on... I would definite cut back on open gym, and try to keep her in regular practice, in case it is a transitions thing with her. Maybe rework her schedule, increase her homework on the weekend, to help lighten it during the week. Try get her to bed early or even sneak some naps here and there.

My 7 y/o trains 10 hrs/week plus 2 more of open gym, (which she requested). This has been her new schedule for about 2 months. Last week she started saying she's tired and could I pick her up early from open gym. I thought she was getting a cold or something because she usually doesn't want to stop.
This week she wanted to leave class early at the break between reg class and optional 2 extra hours for conditioning/prep for mini spring season. Then she asked if she could skip practice. She's been complaining of various sore muscles, too. She never complains about gymnastics.
So, I cancelled her open gym and am considering dropping the extra 2 conditioning/meet prep hrs.
Any suggestions, input? FWIW: she asked me "why." When I told her I dropped the open gym. She accepted when I told her she seemed over-tired, we agreed to see how she feels when it comes to open gym.
Thoughts?

Sounds like you are on top of it! Congrats to you for being willing to drop her hours and make it about her having fun and enjoying it. There are alot of crazy gym parents who wouldn't do what you are doing. :)

Of course she could be sick so keep an eye on her. Also at her age/level nothing would be hurt by missing several days or even a week. My level 7 missed a week for a snow skiing trip and came back energized and "on fire" picking up new skills.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Start by cutting back on the "extra" optional type of stuff and see if her energy level picks back up. Maybe the summer is a better time for the extra hours since there is no school and more chance of sleeping in. Good luck!

I sometimes wonder if the extra hours DD puts in on Saturdays are too much, but any time I try to get her to skip a Saturday and go to an amusement park or the zoo, she screams. Like others have said, try to find the amount where she's begging to go and keep it at that level.

I agree that it sounds to me like you have a good handle on it! My DD's coach is always telling us it is more important to leave them wanting more...... My DD is 6 and she trains 12 hours a week. When she started that schedule back in August I was STRESSED that it would be way too much. But she never wants to leave the gym and has only missed 2 days of gym since September.

In your case I would cut back a little and see if your DD's energy comes back. Summer might be the time for extra hours when there isn't the pressure of school and other activities going on :)

I agree with the above posters. She gave you the signs, you read them loud and clear and took the appropriate action. And the fact that she didn't fight you when you told her about dropping the extra time only validates your decision.

Follow her lead, which it sounds like you are doing. If the gym is fine with it, and you are fine with it and most importantly she is fine with it-- then it's the best thing you could do for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back