WAG How to find gyms that offer Elite training and HOPES program in the United States.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hate to sound really ignorant, but we are kind of new in the sense that my daughter still at a lower level. She has these big dreams that someday she wants to be on the national team. When I spoke to her Coach, she said she should know better than that. They only go up to level 10.
We would have to move somewhere where there’s a an elite gym. I am not apposed to doing that eventually, but am really confused about how to find a gym that offers elite level or even HOPES right now.
So I tried googling it to see where these elite level coaches or hopes programs are around the United States. I only get info on the most famous elite level gyms. Is there a comprehensive list?
Also another question, gymnasts can’t go through jo to level 10 then start training elite?

I would look at all of the gyms in your area, your area possibly being an hour or two, maybe more, away, and start calling and see if they have athletes training hopes/elite. I live in an area that hasn't historically produced a huge number of elites, but live in the same city as one gym with a current top US elite, and about an hour away from another gym with two junior elites with a program on the rise. You will have to decide what is too much for your family. I would tell them about your daughter and her goals and ask for an evaluation - if she is lower level, I would wait until after this season. They should be able to assess whether she would be a good fit for possibly TOPs, hopes, and the elite track. You don't want to commit to driving an hour each way, or considering a move, if it's not going to be a realistic possibility

I would say it's unusual for an athlete to reach level 10 and then decide to do elite - Jade Carey stands out as more of a latecomer to elite in that respect, competing level 10 at the beginning of 2017 and ending that year as a world silver medalist. Usually they are training with the elite path in mind and level 10 is more of a stepping stone.

Go on the myusagym app and look at the results of your state and regional championships. Pay attention to the younger age divisions of level 9 and 10. Go look at those gyms’ social media to see if they are posting about their athletes competing at hopes, tops, junior elite or senior elite competitions. You can also look up the results from tops, hopes and junior elite competitions to see if you recognize any of the gyms listed. You’ll figure out what gyms in your area are successful nationally.

Go on the myusagym app and look at the results of your state and regional championships. Pay attention to the younger age divisions of level 9 and 10. Go look at those gyms’ social media to see if they are posting about their athletes competing at hopes, tops, junior elite or senior elite competitions. You can also look up the results from tops, hopes and junior elite competitions to see if you recognize any of the gyms listed. You’ll figure out what gyms in your area are successful nationally.
Elite gym aren’t doing states

Without knowing your daughters age, level, scores, skills.

Dont put the cart before the horse.

Elite gym aren’t doing states
Yes they do, they still have other gymnasts and usually the good elite programs are also successful at JO. While there are elite hopefuls that don't compete many JO events, there are are plenty who do JO prior. So looking at the information is another helpful guide. One of the hopes champions who looked better than many of the juniors at classics was a JO National champion this year.

Yes they do, they still have other gymnasts and usually the good elite programs are also successful at JO. While there are elite hopefuls that don't compete many JO events, there are are plenty who do JO prior. So looking at the information is another helpful guide. One of the hopes champions who looked better than many of the juniors at classics was a JO National champion this year.
You would not know the Potential Elites who are not competing and you would not know who those at states are Hopes. Not just by looking at scores

No they are not doing states. QUALIFIED elites can’t compete at states. Hopes is not considered elite.

No they are not doing states. QUALIFIED elites can’t compete at states. Hopes is not considered elite.
I wasn't referring to individual qualified elite athletes doing states. I was saying elite gyms do have athletes in states - obviously not the athletes who have obtained their elite status.
I meant the good elite programs usually have high quality athletes in JO (states), of which some may go on to elite. Results are only part of the picture and situations change, but I certainly wouldn't be uprooting my family to move my child to a gym that claims to have an 'elite' program and no results at any level to support their ability to achieve success.

Also another question, gymnasts can’t go through jo to level 10 then start training elite?

Yes and no... a gymnast can go through L10 and then go elite... however... the coach / system that they are training in needs to train them this way in advance.

For example... GAGE does not do TOPS or HOPES. They run the regular Developmental / JO program and then go elite. The athletes that are picked to go elite at GAGE are trained to do this much before L10 though.

EDIT: Or the athlete can just be super talented... like Jade Carey talented.

Last edited:
For example... GAGE does not do TOPS or HOPES. They run the regular Developmental / JO program and then go elite. The athletes that are picked to go elite at GAGE are trained to do this much before L10 though.

Yep we’ve done camps at GAGE and one of the parents was explaining that they have separate training groups for elite track and college track girls, even if the girls are competing the same level. It’s easy to tell which girls are on the elite track… I don’t think your typical level 7s are throwing double-doubles and double twisting yurchenkos into the pit or landing double layouts/full-ins off an air track. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an old thread to link in... just some fun conversation...

Yes and no... a gymnast can go through L10 and then go elite... however... the coach / system that they are training in needs to train them this way in advance.

For example... GAGE does not do TOPS or HOPES. They run the regular Developmental / JO program and then go elite. The athletes that are picked to go elite at GAGE are trained to to this much before L10 though.

EDIT: Or the athlete can just be super talented... like Jade Carey talented.
Haha Jade Carey was my example too.

Reactions: JBS
Yep we’ve done camps at GAGE and one of the parents was explaining that they have separate training groups for elite track and college track girls, even if the girls are competing the same level. It’s easy to tell which girls are on the elite track… I don’t think your typical level 7s are throwing double-doubles and double twisting yurchenkos into the pit or landing double layouts/full-ins off an air track. lol

Correct...

Also this post...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back