How to "loosen up"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hannaus

Gymnast
Hi,
I just got a new routine tonight and my choreographer explained to me that I need to "loosen up" since too many of my movements are sharp/robotic. Do any of you happen to have any tips on how to do so?

Just lots of practice. Some people naturally move more fluidly and others do not (i.e. me).

Have others watch and critique your movements.
Think of creating the movement with each part of your arms or legs, like the first move your shoulder, then your elbow, then your wrist, then out to the tips of your fingers. Even think about using parts of your arms/legs that aren't joints. It helps transfer the movement through your limbs and make it look less stiff.
Just dance around a lot (like in your free time) and practice your dance.
Get different, "more stiff" choreography rather than the ever-popular more ballet-like style.

I think you just have to think of it like your dancing. Really listen to the music and try and feel the rythm of the music while your going. Also, practice in a place where no one is watching just to get used to it. Finally, try and forget about everything else while your doing your routine and have fun with it! I hope this helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back