WAG I really wanna advance more quickly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys, ok so I'm 13 and I'm about lvl 4. I only go to rec classes once a week for two hours. I love gymnastics but I've only been doing it for around 6 months. I have my bhs, bwo,fwo n all the basics on floor my fhs and handstand flatback on vault, I have my handstand, and I'm working on cartwheel on beam, I've been working on full turns on a line and when i went into gymnasics and did one i really surprised my instructor:sly:. On bars I have my back hip circle, mill cirlce, pull over, and i'm working on my front hip circle. So basically I want to know HOW CAN I APROGRESS QUICKLY?! I know it's reeeeeally unlikely but I wanna go for a college scholarship. I can go to open gym for two hours every week but there are virtually no potters so I can't try anything i can't already do. So is there anything other than stretch and condition that I can do at home? Thanks for reading all of this:reading:

Is there any possibility of joining the team or increasing your hours? A once-a-week recreation class is very limiting in terms of advancement. Talk to your coaches and parents and see what you can come up with.

Good luck!

definitely add more classes per week. Practice makes perfect!

your body can only progress as fast as it can there really isn't a way to make it do more in the same time. you would definitly have to have more time in the gym and I would say doing a team or Excell (preop) team would be necessary as well.

I don't want to burst your bubble but usually colleges look at L9, L10 and Elite gymnasts especially for scholarships and I don't think you have the time if your 13 yo now and not even on a team but only in a rec class. Your looking at trying to get the skills that would be done in 6 - 9 years of training in just 4 years. Not saying it's impossible but highly unlikely that you would be at the level a college would seek.

WORK! All you can do is practice practice practice! You may go through the lower levels (4-6) in maybe a month or two each (I did) with 3-7 hours a day of conditioning and practice, at home and the gym. It's alot of work, but I pinky promise it's worth it<3 best of luck!:)

Agreed...you need more time in the gym. Whether that means joining the team or taking more classes. For example, our Level 4s and 5s (about where you are), are in the gym 12 hours/week. Some gyms are more, some are less hours for these levels. But I think 12 hours is about average. So my suggestion would be to get to the point where you are in the gym around 12 hours/week.

Thats why I was thinking PrepOp/Excell or what ever they are calling that program. Its less practice time than JO program but enough time in the gym to do more skills. I think our PrepOps are 9-12 hrs a week depending on the level. It is also usually cheaper.

Our gym has a 13-year-old girl on the team who never competed before this year (rec gym/cheer background). She is on the xcell team but did one meet as a level 5 in October (scored out) and one meet as a level 6 in November (scored out) . Now she's back to rocking the xcell meets with every intention of competing 7 next year, which will put her just one year "behind" my daughter, who is in her 6th year of competition. At the rate she's going, I can totally see her catching up to and even passing my DD one day. Never know what you can do till you try! But, as others have said, you need more time in the gym. Strength training at home on your own isn't going to cut it! This girl told the coach last spring, "I want to be a level 7 by the time I'm in 8th grade" and they made a plan and she worked her butt off. Let your coach know your goals, and see if they can help you make a plan.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back