I won't make team without my backbend kick over!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
My coach told me last night its sad that I have all my skills except my back bend kick over and that I have the technique just not enough shoulder flexibility and that I won't make team without it! I think team evaluations are today so I'd need it in a week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

Warm up really well before stretching. Stretch your shoulders with bridges, pushing your shoulders over your hands. Practice it a few times holding it for x amount of seconds. Sit on the floor, put your hands behind you with your fingers touchi (thumbs facing outward, fingers pointing behind you) and slowly scoot your butt forward away from your hands as as you can go without your hands spreading apart. Backbend near a wall and press your shoulders into the wall.

Other than that i would just work your backbend kickover alot. Use an elevated surface to climb up and kick your feet over. Panel mats work great as you can remove height as you get more comfortable. You can do it!!

Thank you so much! I now have 11 days to get my backbend kick over and more flexible shoulders. Do you think its possible?

I think it should be possible as long as you're willing to work hard, which doesn't sound like a problem for you. How close are you? Like livelifetumble said, work it from an elevated surface and keep going down as you get comfortable. Just keep practicing a lot and you'll get it!

For tight shoulders one of the best shoulder stretches I've found is a piked cat stretch on a set of stall bars. It really stretches the hamstrings in the pike but also loads the shoulder a lot more than a standing cat stretch.

Unless you can get a spotter to pull on your shoulders in a bridge. Bridge on the lowest rail of a set of stall bars is another solution as you can actually pull your shoulders open because your are grabbing the rail besides extending the knees straight from a bent position (start knees bent, push straight using quads).

I don't know what stall bars are. I'm not in the gym much!

these are stall bars, i think.
SB-503.jpg

Can you do a backbend? If it's then backbend part you can't do, it might be a lot harder to do it in 11 days. If you can do a backbend, and you can't do the kickover part, then can you get over with a wedge? If you can't get over by yourself with a wedge, then backbend/bridge near a wall, walk your feet up it, and kick over. How big is your mid-air split? that might affect it as well if you have a limited range of flexibility.

We don't have stall bars since we are at a YMCA. I have a backbend but I hit my head lightly but my coach said it doesn't hurt my head so I technically have it. I have my good leg splits all the way down and my bad leg which is the way I kick over pretty far down maybe a few inches up. Leg flexibility is definitely not my problem its all in my shoulders! I'm doing a private 30 minute class with a teammate (sharing costs and we are friends) after an hour of teen tumbling on Tuesday night! So I will work on bars and backbend kickovers there.

The mid-air split in a bridge kickover may be different than your ground split. Do a leap in the air to see about do big your range of motion is while kicking over.

Practice, practice, practice! Keep practcing them everyday and you will eventually get it. They require a lot of back flexibility so make sure to do a lot of bridges and stretch well. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Try to work on getting them bigger, as well as your shoulder flexibility, because both things can make it or break it. Ask around CB for some stretches to make your mid-air split bigger, as well as some to make your shoulders more flexible.

Put the leg that you use to kick over on a raised surface. When you can kick over like this, gradually lower the raised platform. My shoulders are really not flexible but I can still do it.

My coach told me last night its sad that I have all my skills except my back bend kick over and that I have the technique just not enough shoulder flexibility and that I won't make team without it! I think team evaluations are today so I'd need it in a week.

Ok you have to push as far as u can forward with your shoulders. What I mean is find a wall and stand in a bridge 3 inches back then try to touh you nodded to the wall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back