IGC - how much supervision outside the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

themonkeysmom

Proud Parent
I am thinking of sending my son to IGC this year, but I have some reservations. How much supervision is ther outside of the gym? Are the younger kids just left alone to wander around the campus? Is there any accountability to make sure they get where they're supposed to go?

I'd love to hear about others experiences in sending young kids to camp.
I'm not worried about him being homesick, but I am worried about him being overwhelmed with where to go and what to do when.

IGC is completely and thoroughly supervised. in and out of practice. have NO reservations.:)

Both of my girls started going at age 9 and they were always with a large group of bunkmates/friends/counselors anytime they were not in a gym.

I sent my DD at the age of 7yo(turning 8yo within a couple of months) and she loved it! She was by herself and everyone made sure all kids ate, had fun and were where they needed to be.

They even called my one day to update me that she was at the nurse station because she threw up - from the heat and humidity I think- and I got to talk to her and she was back in the gym within an hour!

My DD is on the shy side and one girl in the cabin spoke no English and the staff still made sure a great time was had by all. I am sure your DS will love it!;)

While we're on this, if no one minds... not trying to hijack the thread. My daughter is 8 this year and I've been thinking about IGC for her for awhile. It might be something for next year when she's 9. So, I've wondered about the supervision of the young ones too. So, I have the following two questions about the young ones and IGC.

IGC has a lot of gymnastics packed into one day. Are all the kids doing that many hours, even if they are not used to that many hours a day?

Second, when the young ones have some free time, do they get to choose what they want to do individually, and or do they do whatever the particular group they are in does? I have been wondering too if being able to choose activities for free time means they are wandering around the camp, or if they are in some supervised group during those times.

My dd, age 8, is going week 3 this summer. She's been researching (and obsessing) about Australia all year in preparation as she knows several of the counselors are from Australia. She has a few favorites from the past Thanksgiving clinics. This will be her first time going in the summer.

While we're on this, if no one minds... not trying to hijack the thread. My daughter is 8 this year and I've been thinking about IGC for her for awhile. It might be something for next year when she's 9. So, I've wondered about the supervision of the young ones too. So, I have the following two questions about the young ones and IGC.

IGC has a lot of gymnastics packed into one day. Are all the kids doing that many hours, even if they are not used to that many hours a day?

Second, when the young ones have some free time, do they get to choose what they want to do individually, and or do they do whatever the particular group they are in does? I have been wondering too if being able to choose activities for free time means they are wandering around the camp, or if they are in some supervised group during those times.
That's a really good question. You should ask them on their Facebook page. You might not get a reply until after Easter though:p

This is a big part of what I'm wondering. Do the kids just decide on a whim that they want to do the ropes course, or swim, or whatever and they trot off to the activity without anyone knowing where they are actually supposed to be?

At the camp my other child goes to, they sign up for their afternoon activities each morning and they meet, make sure everyone is there, and go as a group. I'm hoping there's some accountability during the free time like this at IGC.

The way it works, from what i have been told so far, (be aware i will know more when i start my training at the camp) myself and another counselor will be assigned to a cabin of gymnasts. We sleep in the same cabin and take them to their meals throughout the day. I coach for 6 rotations of 45 mins, with breaks in between some rotations for food. In the afternoon i get two ours off and the kids are given to the non coaching counselors. They then take them to scheduled activities.

I think they are with them for a while because i also attend a session to learn more about coaching. Then we are in charge of the kids for dinner and throughout the night. Somewhere in there we have an open gym session. This is probably a pretty rough sketch of the day, but the main point: they will be looked after the whole time and we have two sets of staff to accomplish this.

The way it works, from what i have been told so far, (be aware i will know more when i start my training at the camp) myself and another counselor will be assigned to a cabin of gymnasts. We sleep in the same cabin and take them to their meals throughout the day. I coach for 6 rotations of 45 mins, with breaks in between some rotations for food. In the afternoon i get two ours off and the kids are given to the non coaching counselors. They then take them to scheduled activities.

I think they are with them for a while because i also attend a session to learn more about coaching. Then we are in charge of the kids for dinner and throughout the night. Somewhere in there we have an open gym session. This is probably a pretty rough sketch of the day, but the main point: they will be looked after the whole time and we have two sets of staff to accomplish this.

Thank you. That helps a lot. The IGC website does nothing to explain any of this. It just says that they use a loudspeaker system to let the kids know where to go.

Each cabin gets an assigned time to do the ropes course as far as I know. That being said, they will only do it once during their week. IGC is very easy to navigate. It's impossible that they can get lost. I attended parents weekend with my dd last Labor Day weekend and it was awesome to experience the camp with her. I slept in the cabin and everything! She loved that they tell bedtime stories over the speakers in the cabins! I wouldn't have any reservations unless you think your child will be homesick.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back