WAG IGC requiring female campers to wear shorts or leggings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m not defending the policy (I agree with the sentiment of others here on CB) but I wanted to point out that like many other camps, parents get hundreds of pictures a day to sift through hoping to find their gymmie.

I assume they are making the change because of these pictures. I don’t remember if there were pictures at the pool or the slide.

I guess I am not in the majority here, but since my DD started gym about 2 years ago I've thought the Leo uniform was extremely inappropriate for female athletes of any age. I get that the message that athletes are required to wear shorts could be seen as victim blaming, but I also can't understand why these girls can't wear leggings or some other uniform. I don't need to see bare legs up to the crotch to know if someone has pretty lines or good flexibility. Male gymnasts wear pants, why not female gymnasts?

Also I get that this is not a popular opinion. I absolutely agree that a few inches of clothing have nothing to do with abuse, and people like Nassar would have been just as abusive if every girl was wearing snowpants and parkas. For me, it's not necessarily about preventing abuse. It's about respecting female athletes for their awe-inspiring athleticism without feeling the need to dress them up like dolls.

What about the pool at camp? Do they have to wear shorts and rashguards?

Rash guards are compulsory in a lot of the swim camps and many of the schools here (swimming is a compulsory subject in most primary schools). If you go to any pool or beach etc, most kids are wearing them.

I get that this is not a popular opinion. I absolutely agree that a few inches of clothing have nothing to do with abuse, and people like Nassar would have been just as abusive if every girl was wearing snowpants and parkas. For me, it's not necessarily about preventing abuse. It's about respecting female athletes for their awe-inspiring athleticism without feeling the need to dress them up like dolls.

Actually it is, there was an entire thread on that topic not long ago. https://chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/shorts-in-competition.62224/
You'll have to see what's written here in the context of what's been written there.
I think the point here is that the decision on whether or whether not to wear short/ leggins shouldn't be a requirement in neither direction and that the approach of trying to solve the problem of abuse by making mandatory changes in the dress code is both naive and discriminating.

I agree, and I am wondering if it has something to do with the photos. While the galleries are locked, anyone could hand out a password to someone else.

My understanding of why our team girls want to wear shorts are because of periods, wearing pads, pee leaks while tumbling and worry people can see, wedgies, and feeling self conscious in doing some poses in an itty bitty thing. And if you are uncomfortable you cannot perform at your peak level.

Can't they just make it a choice and let the gymnast decide what to wear knowing she won't be penalized at meets either way?

Rash guards are compulsory in a lot of the swim camps and many of the schools here (swimming is a compulsory subject in most primary schools). If you go to any pool or beach etc, most kids are wearing them.

True, my point what more, what seems absurd to some can be the norm for others.

I don't agree with this choice, but I don't think we should be so quick to throw IGC under the bus. They have been very vocal in calling out USAG and demanding changes within the sport and advocating for the protection of athletes. I think that perhaps this was a hasty decision that was not well thought out in terms of the message it would send, I think they probably have their reasoning. Like others have said, hundreds of pictures from camp are posted online each day and this could be to protect the athletes in that regard.

With any policy made in response to Nassar, etc, I feel like it should pass the following very obvious litmus test: had the policy in question been in place at the Karolyi Ranch, would it have prevented any of the abuse?

This policy fails that test.

This is not a policy enacted to make meaningful change, it is a policy enacted to make it look like they're doing something, without actually causing even the slightest inconvenience to the adults whose job it should be to protect the athletes

With any policy made in response to Nassar, etc, I feel like it should pass the following very obvious litmus test: had the policy in question been in place at the Karolyi Ranch, would it have prevented any of the abuse?

This is not a policy enacted to make meaningful change, it is a policy enacted to make it look like they're doing something, without actually causing even the slightest inconvenience to the adults whose job it should be to protect the athletes
I have to disagree, I think many of the necessary changes are about changing the underlying culture of the system. While having athletes wear pants won't prevent a predator from abusing them, it does shift the culture by allowing them to cover their bodies and prevents them from being photographed in a full split with only a few inches of fabric covering their crotches.

If it were the only thing being done, it would be a problem; however, as one of many steps in an overall culture shift it feels appropriate to me. I feel much more uncomfortable hearing that my daughter is not ALLOWED to wear pants (which is an actual rule in many gyms), than I would feel if my daughter was REQUIRED to wear pants.

Shorts should definitely be allowed. But they should not be required.

If we want to address the underlying cultural probpems, requiring them to wear shorts is not the slightest bit better than requiring them not to wear them.

The athletes should be given the freedom to choose what to wear (within safety limitations)

This is my feeling, like slapping a band aid on a tumour.

And if USAG or IGC said - hey, we would like to encourage gyms to allow girls to practice and compete in shorts or capris if they are more comfortable that way. That would be a good step. Giving the girls a say and allowing them to be comfortable in what they compete in.

This is - because pedophiles exist, all you gymnasts must now cover up! No autonomy for the young women, of course. Just do as you're told. Like always.

I don't even think it is a pedophiles issue. It won't stop pedophiles and won't stop boys from checking them out.
It is about the preference of the gymnast and what makes them comfortable.

An observation as I was watching college meets on TV, this question becomes even more magnified as everything is more close up. Several occasions I have seen producer cut to another camera when a gymnast's half exposed butt unexpectedly becomes the zoomed in focal point on the screen due to a pose or when a gymnast bends over to high five teammates from the podium after a performance. It is usually very abrupt and obvious. Sometimes they don't then it is just awkward to watch. It just doesn't seem that is something the cameraman should have to keep mindful of when filming a sports event.

My boys are/were swimmers, divers and water polo players, always on coed teams. In fact, we were at a water polo tourney this weekend.

My dd’s leos cover much more than the speedo tanks you see on most high school girls teams. Those things are cut crazy high.

I think the athletes should be able to wear what makes the comfortable. Novel concept, i know.

My boys are/were swimmers, divers and water polo players, always on coed teams. In fact, we were at a water polo tourney this weekend.

My dd’s leos cover much more than the speedo tanks you see on most high school girls teams. Those things are cut crazy high.

I think the athletes should be able to wear what makes the comfortable. Novel concept, i know.

USA Swimming has a policy that forbids photography and video from behind the starting blocks on starts to prevent compromising photos. I dont know if high schools follow the same guidelines but they should.

I think IGC was just trying to prevent questionable photo/video shots that so many parents and others can view. I don't think they were attempting to blame/shame the gymnasts. It does appear to have been a rash, not thought out decision but their intentions appears to be honorable. Having said that, it would have been a deal breaker for my dd. She hates shorts in warmups. She wear leggings only when the gym is super cold and only until she has warmed up. Not likely to change after so many years this way (her choice, not the gym's). I don't know how the college gymnasts get used to working out in tanks and shorts after so many years of just leos...

I totally get that the timing of this is not ideal. But IGC has been at the forefront of the charge to protect our athletes, so I think we need to assume positive intent on this one. It may be something they were considering and this was the final straw. We do not know. I get how the optics are on this one, though.

My son has been at 2 gyms that required him to wear shirts. This is unusual in MAG, but both gyms stated that shirtless boys were distracting to the girls, and it was against their CAPPolicy At our current gym, boys wear white tanks and black shorts. They are not allowed to take their shirts off. I never thought of it as victim shaming, but just a the gym's preference and rule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back