Important Question about Age

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm 13 and I just finished my level 5 season. I plan on scoring out of level 6 at an invitational this year and competing level 7 next year. I am a sort of weak tumbler but it has lately improved A LOT, thank goodness. My bar work is strong- I actually got my kip as a level 4 the very first time I tried it. I am okay at beam, I am not very flexible but my BHS STOs come easy to me, sadly I do have a fear factor I'm trying to get rid of. On vault, I am not good at all. I am extremely afraid because I have a stress fracture from vaulting in my back. I am VERY strong, NOT flexible, and I started gym at age 3, but had to quit as a level 4,age seven (due to illness), went back two years ago as a level three, and here I am. But my question is: I know I am on the older end of gymnasts, so do I have a chance of really going past level 7? PS I LOVE gymnastics and I don't know what I'd do without it.

You are not at the older end for Gymnastics, you are only 13 how can you be at the older end for any sport. Lots of people don't even take up gymnastics until well into their adult years. Being older has many advantages one of which is often that you learn faster as you can understand the concepts behind the skills to help you better understand what your coach is asking you to do.

You can also be more self driven at your age, so I see no reason why you could not progress very quickly.

Hii, I'm training level 6 and I just turned 14. I had these thoughts but then I realized if you give it your all, it's definitely possible. I'm strong on my kips too but I need to work on bars alot and wow! I only have my bhs on the floor beam so you're doing pretty good :)

Keep the faith and reach for the stars! You'll do great, Best of luck :)

Just saying I am a 17 year old level 6, if you are old i must be ancient but just because I am old doesn't mean I love it any less and isn't that all that matters?

as gymgurl said you are not too old i have a few friends who go to a tumbling class or more with me a week and they are all 17- 18 :) I compete and a few of them also compete but they are in it to stay in shape and have fun, most of them were in gym as a kid and came back and loved it :)

so no you are not to old :) AT ALL :)

You are definitely not too old - If you want to do well all you need to do is keep at it! Gymnasts like you are great to coach by the way, simply because you want it! There is nothing more frustrating than an amazingly talented 5yo who doesn't care!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back