WAG Info on Stanford camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
New to the forum so I don't know if it's allowed to post on two boards, but as I've gotten no replies on the Parent Board, thought I'd try here. Has anyone sent their DD to the Stanford camp? Any insight? Good, not good? Worth it? Fun? Good skills? Anything appreciated. Thank you.

My DS has attended their 3 day camp, and the weeklong camp. I thought the gym was clean & well laid-out, & the equipment looked good. The gym is shared with boys/girls equipment in the same room. There were no girls camps running during the week-long boys, so there was no worry about sharing the floor, overcrowding, etc.
The (boys) camp was really well organized. The grouping of kids seemed pretty good skill & age wise. My ds felt that he could have been pushed harder getting new skills, but they really worked on clean-up & proper form. (They did work new skills.) Overall, he had a great time, and was finally tired-out.

Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing it will be girls only the week we are there. We've just never done a college camp so had no idea what to expect. Crossing my fingers that she likes it and gets something out of it.

The boys only have one camp week, which just ended, and a "bootcamp" the first weekend of August, so you probably won't have any overlap. There are Ninja camps running throughout the summer, but they don't share the gym with the gymnasts. For the boys' weeklong camp, a second full gym was set up down the hall (in the competition gym arena, if you've competed at Stanford), so the kids were well spaced, lots of stations, and very organized. My son didn't board, so I don't have any info on the facilities, but I was very impressed with the actual camp and staff. We had a female teammate who attended the summer camp and ended up competing there for college. I don't have any female-specific feedback, though.

Appreciate any insight. She's not boarding - they didn't give that option - so no worries there. Nice to hear that the gym is well laid out and the camp sounds well run. Hope she enjoys (she just tends to get a touch anxious in new training environments - usually going in and first day - so good to get intel).

The gym has a huge glass wall, so parent viewing is easily done, if it will make her more comfortable for you to hang out a bit. There is free wifi, and several parents bring laptops/tablets & stay.

Oooh, that's great to know. Might do that just to start on the first day, and then skedaddle. I don't want to be that mom, and I don't want her to be the kid of that mom. KWIM?

The camp is very straight-forward and is mostly taught by gymnasts on the actual team. They have a nice open gym in the evenings and have kids from a range of ages and levels. It's a very positive camp and low key.

Reporting in on our experience: Agreed it was pretty low key from a camp and coach POV. Interestingly, bc the girls and families are self selecting to be there, DD found the gymnasts to be a bit more intense. You could completely watch, though I didn't beyond an hour the first morning. And sadly, as she is the one who was recently diagnosed with gymnast wrist (another thread), not sure she got too much out of the coaching - except a standing back tuck. But she did say she had fun, that they made a point of doing 20 minutes of games during the 5+ hours and that made all the difference in the world to her. She wants to train but it is summer after all. She even said she wished her gym hours were a little longer to introduce a little levity. I found that fascinating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back