WAG Info please...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ems mum

Proud Parent
I have posted in the Australia site but wonderin if anyone has any clues on the recovery time for dislocated elbow.. No structural fracture but slither of bone displaced ... We are devastated she has trained 30hrs per week to compete in Hawaii on the 15th January and did this one Xmas day mucking around at home :0( she is also competing IL 9 at state in February what's her chances of competing .. We see an ortho physio on Thursday just wanted others experiences please ... my heart breaks when I look at her

Oh I am so sorry :( I know that look in their eyes when this happens. My ds has that look now, knowing he might miss some meets too.

Unfortunately, I think you know that the odds are not good. Is this an avulsion fracture? Like a piece of bone pulled away with the ligament? I am guessing she would be out for a while but will keep my fingers crossed that you get better news!

Yes that's what it was from the bicep end.. She is being so strong me on the other hand I am a wreck ... It was such an important trip for her first international team trip from Australia to Hawaii and on Christmas Eve her routines were spot on... Then Xmas, all over :0( thanks for the reply I hope your son is ok too

We are in the same boat. Dislocation with an avulsion fracture from a fall off the bars. Injury happened on Wednesday, ER Visit, ortho appt tomorrow, surgery Wednesday and at minimum 4-6 weeks in a cast and then they will have to remove the pins and likely she will need PT as well. We've cancelled all travel plans for the remainder of our gymnastics season, we compete through April. I will know more about the exact time frame tomorrow.
Maybe your daughters avulsion isn't quite as extreme, but still doubtful she will compete in January.

Just wanted to update after our appt.
DD will have surgery this week to place a screw to hold the bone in place. Then 2 weeks in hard cast and 10 weeks in a mobility brace. Total of 12 weeks with no load bearing. Hopefully you get better news than we did.

oh mamas- so sorry. hope your girls heal as quickly as possible and keep their spirits up through it all. hugs!

OP, truly sorry to hear this. My daughter partially dislocated her elbow (subluxation) on the last practice day, two days before states. My father in law flew in from California and we live in the east coast. It was her first year at Level 10. Surprisingly, x ray showed no damage or injury. In fact, the ER doctor said she might still be able to compete in two days! The next day, she could not even move her elbow because of pain and elbow was swollen. We did physical therapy but she was not able to use the arm until about two months. Your daughter's injury is more severe. So the outlook of competing on January 15 may be slim. But you never know.

We also have a fly away meet in Texas early January. Father in law and sister in law were flying to see her compete but she now has an ankle injury. So we all lose flights again. It is indeed tough at Levels 9 and 10. Good luck to your daughter.

To the OP, since the elbow is such an important joint in this sport and has to do sooooo much, I would strongly recommend (as a parent who has been there with elbow injuries) to not rush this recovery. It is much better for the long run to write this season off, let her heal completely, let her rehab, and then let her build the strength back. We tend to want to rush these kind of injuries and it is just not worth it. Remember, she will need this joint for many years after gymnastics is done and you want it to work for her. Relax, take a breath, find a good sports ortho and a good sports PT, and let her keep up strength and flexibility in the rest of her body.

My son didn't dislocate anything; but is coming off of an elbow avulsion fracture. He was out of practice (well, did some conditioning) for 6 weeks. Then still is in the process of getting back to where he was before the injury. It has been almost 3 months. :-(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back