Parents Injuries and the apparatus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

On the eve of my DD's Surgery I can not sleep so I was wondering How many surgical injuries had occured and what seems to be the apparatus most frequently to cause such injuries. Please share if your DD has had an injury.:confused:

No injury to report of as yet (crosses all fingers and toes :rolleyes:) , but my daughter did have extensive surgery as a baby so I just wanted to say {hugs} and good luck for tomorrow. Surgery is hard on the mums and dads waiting outside as well.

In all the years my girls have been at our gym the worst injury one of them has had is from dropping a springboard on her toe. Other than that they have had only overuse type injuries, which I htink are more common.

My gymmie so far has had an overuse injury in her knee which has been nagging at her since March :( and limited her tumbling/vaulting. Will be thinking about you and praying that the sugery goes well and for a speedy recovery for your DD.

None for DD, but she's only just started and is 5. At her gym over the past 10 years or so there has only been one girl who required surgery. She tore her achilles tumbling on floor. There was a gymnast who moved from another gym that had the same injury and she was also tumbling.

Other than that all injuries have been overuse or those that healed with rest.

Good luck!

My gymnast has not needed surgery, but has been out for a year with nagging back and ankle injuries. My little one had surgery on her achilles tendon when she was five, so I feel for you and your dd. best of luck, and keep us posted.

I will be praying the surgery goes well and your dd has a fast recovery! Big hugs to you!

My 4y/o dd broke her elbow doing a round-off (they had mats set up in a T with a mailbox at the end of it - on the floor - to do a running round-off over. Her arm slipped between the mats and the mailbox and when her body went over her arm didn't move with her body). This was at 6pm. I took her to our local ER where we had x-rays and sat for hours. Finally found out she had broke it (completely) and our hospital could not handle her break (thankful for this... they sent us to Childrens Hospital in St. Louis and they were amazing). At 1am we were released (finally... it was a LONG wait that should have never been so long) and headed straight to Childrens Hospital (2 hours away). She was examined and we talked to a few doctors, put into a room and she had surgery (required pins) at 10am. It all went so fast I didn't even have much time to sit and think about what had happened until she was in surgery... and then I cried and cried and cried.

That was 3 months ago. This week Rylee is finally able to get back into the gym and it's like those 3 months just never happened. She has not lost any skills and is working on her round-off back handspring. She basically just left off right where she was at. She is always amazing me.

Thinking of you all!!!!

Goofing off in the gym

This has been the source of most injuries that I have seen. And this happened in spite of having attentive coaches. Two of the girls were double bouncing on the tramp and one of them flew off onto the concrete and wrecked her knee. (The did not listen to the coach who told them to get off immediately.) Another time a Rec gymnasts attempted a vault and broke her arm. (She was there for open gym and was playing around.) Another time one of the gymnasts boyfriends stepped on a the edge of a mat and broke his ankle. (He was not supposed to be on the floor.)

There is actually research on this and for Women's gymnastics it is floor. Which kind of suprised, but the most common injury as someone mentioned is overuse and the floor does beat you up.

the worst dds have had is the youngest feel from beam and held on. Went under the beam and got a black eye. Nothing series so far. We have been in gym for 6 years now.

Awww, sending you a BIG ((HUG)), I know it's so difficult to watch your child go thru surgery. My middle child (not a gymnast) had surgery to correct Torticolis that required his SMC muscle in his neck to be cut in several spots to release the tightness pulling his neck down & to the side. It was difficult, but since we tried to explain (and wonderful hospital staff helped a ton too!) everything simple yet informative & upfront w/him, he went in much braver than I could ever expect. Children are so tough they recover very quickly. And staff dealing w/ kids really do try hard to make the experience as least traumatic as possible, but I know I paced the floor the whole time waiting for the word that surgery went well and he was in recovery. Bring family and friends w/you to keep you company & have something special fot your DD for when she gets out of Post op. For my son it was a Webkin and by the time he left the hospital he had a zoo of them, LOL

Most of my DD's injuries have not been related to any particular apparatus. She is 9 and has been doing team since age 6 and rec since about age 4. Her biggest injury was a heel fracture. Unreleated to gym she had some cysts in her heel that dr feels created a bit of a weakness in that area. She fell (lost grip when hands became too slippery climbing down) off rope during conditioning. She was in walking boot for about 7 weeks. Later developed heel pain that turned out to be Sever's Disease but no more heel FX. Every once in awhile she has heel pain and requires some ice and extra stretching of both heel cords. She has had some other bumps and bruises too but mostly due to tripping over mats, and other things found on the gym floor or horsing around when the coach isn't watching. Oh, there was a split the beam move that gave her a little ouchie too.

Keep us posted about your DD, and hope she has a speedy recovery!

On the eve of my DD's Surgery I can not sleep so I was wondering How many surgical injuries had occured and what seems to be the apparatus most frequently to cause such injuries. Please share if your DD has had an injury.:confused:
Update on Surgery! She made it through the surgery Nurse said she giggled herself to sleep! Typical! She is in a boot and we can not remove dressing. took two pins to put the bone back together. The Orthepedic Group is the one who took care of Nastia prior to the last olympics and they also work with alot of the pro atheletes in Dallas. (The office looks like the sports hall of Fame) They have released her to return to gym on Monday for non-weight bearing activities! I was concerned about how it might effect her mental game! But she seems more driven now than ever! Thank you all for your well wishes! Will let you know how Monday goes.

So glad to hear everything worked out. Sounds like your Ortho is a pro when it comes to gymnastics injuries. Hope recovery goes well!

Glad it is over and she can get back in the gym, that will help her mentally as well as phsically :). WOW that her Ortho worked on Nastia, bet that made her feel good too!

Glad your daughter's surgery went well and she is able to be back in the gym so soon. I do think the sooner the girls get back into the gym the better they are mentally - but it's tougher for us as parents to watch them hopping/crutching around doing things we think they should not. ;)
Floor and bars are tied for the lead in our house in terms of injuries, but Em (my younger DD) has managed to fracture something on every apparatus except floor and she trashed her knee on floor - complete ACL tear etc - so I really can't pick one event.:D

I'm glad your daughter came through like a champ. Anasthesia always makes me giggly too.

I was interested in the research on injuries, and there are some good studies out there. Unfortunately, they require paying to access the database. Here are some abstracts:

A retrospective study of gymnastics injuries to competitors and noncompetitors in private clubs

Injuries in women's gymnastics - A 5-year study

Gymnastic injuries: The Virginia experience 1982-1983

Here's part of the 1982 study's abstract:

Results were 62 injuries among 542 competitive and 2,016 noncompetitive level athletes (5.3 per 100 competitors and 0.7 per 100 beginners). Of the 62 injuries, 51 were acute and 11 chronic. Twenty-one injuries occurred during floor exercises, 13 on beam, 9 on vault, 6 on uneven parallel bars, and 2 on springboard. Acute injuries included 21 sprains, 16 fractures, 6 contusions, 4 dislocations, and 4 muscle strains. A significant finding was the increased frequency of acute injury seen at dismount. Also there was a positive correlation be tween duration of frequency of practice (fatigue) and injury rate.

Interesting study! I wonder how much difference - if any - there would be today given the improvements in equipment and changes in training methods. Also, given that more women seem to be training at higher levels at older ages - i.e. you are no longer "too old" at 20 - what effect this would have on injury statistics.

I'm glad your daughter came through like a champ. Anasthesia always makes me giggly too.

I was interested in the research on injuries, and there are some good studies out there. Unfortunately, they require paying to access the database. Here are some abstracts:

A retrospective study of gymnastics injuries to competitors and noncompetitors in private clubs

Injuries in women's gymnastics - A 5-year study

Gymnastic injuries: The Virginia experience 1982-1983

Here's part of the 1982 study's abstract:
Thanks! I have to renew my safety cert for usag this yr so I am going to be most intrested in this part of our discussion!

UPDATE: DD is back at gym doing upper body! Pins wont come out for 4 weeks pics are in my photos! If you can stomach them! It is really not that bad! She has to sleep in the boot till the pins come out! Now the smell is not one I wish upon my worst enemy!!! However, bathing is very intresting... We put a laundry basket upside down and she props it on that and we basically have to bathe her!

UPDATE: DD released today to go back Slowly to doing everything! We will see what happens! May have been just the break she needed! She usually works harder when she feels like she is behind, and she is!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back