WAG Is Ballet really important?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Now that we tried the class, and mind you, the teacher was very demanding with her stuff.....I think it could make a very positive difference. The teacher is trying to make sure she teaches to gymnastics....I guess this means, the legs need to do stuff according to gymnadtics, NOT ballet.

I hope I can see a difference. States are a month away!

for compulsory it is very important ,but for optinols it isnt ! you could care less in optinols ,trust me the only thing they might need is work on their arms

Let me further expound on my post. I responded with my daughter's current level in mind without regard to the various levels. I think ballet can have a more dramatic increase in scores in the compulsory levels and early optional levels when tumbling is still not that intense. I think it is only once you get to Levels 9 and 10 where you can really tell the strong tumblers and perhaps grace plays second fiddle. In addition, in the lower levels there isn't much diversity and as such a beautifully executed routine will get the higher marks.

Interesting. The only girls at our gym that are required to take dance are the elites and girls training elite.

Reactions: sce
Well, either way, it has turned into a big 'thing' at our gym.....now all the girls want to sign up!
if anything it is another fun sport for the girls to dabble in.......we will see how much it affects their gymnastics, but I suspect it will.

Dd does pointe. Do you think her ability to dance on her toes helps in gym? Absolutely. Her balance and ability to stay on beam, her body
Lines on bars, her body and torso control, and of course her floor dance are greatly affected.

Wow, that's really impressive to be able to handle the many years and hours of ballet required for pointe work AND do gymnastics! There's no way my ballerina has time for any other serious activity. She did take a tumbling class over the summer but once dance was back in full force, she had to cut it. :(

Hats off to your dd, Flipflopz, for being able to do Pointe and Gym. My dd is only in ballet 2, jazz 2 and tap 2 and I am having a difficult time getting her schedule so that she can continue with dance team and gym team. I think this will be her last year on dance team. In her perfect world, she would do competition tap and team gym. I, and her coaches, notice a big difference in her lines (whatever that means) because of her dance classes. At the very least she will continue with tap and ballet.

I love watching ballerina's in pointe. It is stunning.

I did ballet before I even started gymnastics and continued to do it for a few years. I think it definitely is helpful. Really any type of outside training is beneficial.

My DD (L5) has been doing Irish Dance with Gymnastics for the last 4 years or so. I think they both help each other. Irish has a soft shoe and a hard shoe, both focus on turn out and require a tight body and they have to be able to count the music which I think has been the biggest thing for her floor routine. Of course the gymnastics helps her Irish with her kicks, endurance and flexibility. She does both competitively now (for the time being) and loves both. We are hoping to find some cool Celtic music for her floor when she gets to L6!

Also, wanted to add our girls do dance once a week in the gym but she's got a bad teacher this year and isn't enjoying it at all unfortunately.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back