Parents Is dancing that much different to team gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jaks

Proud Parent
This made me think this afternoon while looking at the computer printouts and do's and don'ts on the notice board at my dd's dance school for the upcoming exams (grade/level move up)

My dd is currently taking Primary Modern and Primary Ballet ISTD lessons and has her first exam in 2 weeks for Primary Modern. When she has done her exam she will move up to the next grade and not have another modern dance exam for a year - and only if the dance teacher think she is ready, she will then move up another grade.

This seems very similar to development / team gymnastics.

For her exam she will need a new leotard and have her done in a certin way, She needs to be there 1 hour before the exam, wear no jewlery, make up or nail varnish and make she she smiles. They are also not aloud to talk in the studio ( dance room).

Are gymnastics meets similar to this ( except the no talking part)?

Also when they have a show they are not allowed to miss any practices and if they do for reasons other then illness or holidays its 3 strikes and you are out of the show. In the lead up to the show in the school summer holidays they are requested to attend extra practice and it gets full on 2 weeks before show time with rehearsals 10am to 4pm Mondays to Fridays as well as their usual lessons.

is gymnastics like this as well?

I think there are many similarities. My DD does ballet and gymnastics, and the gymnastics training is tougher with longer hours at a younger age. They both get tougher with more hours as they go along, but with gymnastics it starts earlier/younger and the hours go up a lot more, and more quickly. Also, gymnastics competition season lasts for months, the ballet show craziness only lasts about a week. Of course, there are different dance schools, so maybe some are much tougher than DD's school. Also, she is doing only ballet, not other styles of dance as well, and she only does exams and concerts, not competitions.

My DD does dance in addition to gymnastics...and yes there are a lot of similarities between the two. Both require good form, flexibility, balance and core strength...and leaping and turning are important in both (dance does more "outside turns" than gym though).

However, dance has a big performance and expression element to it that you don't typically see/need in gymnastics (maybe in an optional floor routine it *may* help, not sure), plus there's the costuming aspect...those things make dance more of an art than gymnastics (which is a sport)...even though I guess it is called *artistic* gymnastics ;).

My other DD does ballet (RAD grade 5 right now), and I guess it is similar in many ways. With gymnastics there is instant gratification (or disappointment) because the scores are flashed right afterwards and awards follow shortly thereafter; with ballet it takes weeks to get back the exam results (at least with RAD it does - the exams of all candidates around the world are graded and results compiled and sent back to the ballet schools along with the certificates - takes a while).

My gymnast has several chances to show her stuff during a year, including a gymnastics show that the rec kids also participate in; my dancer has one exam and one show.

They both have a "uniform", they both need to work hard at perfecting their stuff when a meet/exam/show approaches, with extra practices and not missing any! They both have a chance to wear makeup and a different costume and do something for fun (their shows). I hate that I can't watch DD's ballet exam though, like I can watch my other DD's meets!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back