It's been too long.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been training level 8 for a couple of months now, and I STILL don't have my back handspring on the high beam yet. All of the level 7's and 8's and a level 6 have their back handsprings on the high beam, but I'm too afraid to get off of the low beam.

I competed level 7 with only three meets, the first one with a round off, and the second two with nothing at all.

I have about five months until my first meet, but I really need to get started on this skill so I can focus on more important things like cleaning up my tumbling and bars.

Does any one know how I can break my terrible fear and go for it WITH OUT envisioning my missing my hands?

Well, the beam's going to be there. It's not going to move. You know how to get your hands on it, so you just need to think about that. Just focus on where it is and where you know it's going to be.

But I wouldn't rush yourself too much, because it could lead to a greater setback. I would focus on making manageable goals for progression to doing it on the high beam, and just keep yourself on track for those smaller goals. Trying to just do it with no real plan is very difficult and overwhelming, and sets you up for failure. If you set yourself up for success with smaller goals you'll gain confidence along the way.

Is there a way you could practice on a medium beam? Or one a bit higher than the low beam?

Try having a coach spot you on the high beam, so you'll know your safe. Or maybe put mats under the beam so if you did fall, it wouldn't be far! I agree with what gymdog said, just make achievable goals so you get more confident and soon you'll have your backhandspring!

Is there a way you could practice on a medium beam? Or one a bit higher than the low beam?

Try having a coach spot you on the high beam, so you'll know your safe. Or maybe put mats under the beam so if you did fall, it wouldn't be far! I agree with what gymdog said, just make achievable goals so you get more confident and soon you'll have your backhandspring!

I do have a medium and a medium low beam, but i'm still scared to connect it from my tik tok on there. I've done my backhandspring successfully on the medium low beam with no spot but I don't like going any higher.

I've also done it on the high beam with three mats and a spot twice before recently, but not since then.

I had my backhandspring on the medium beam comfortably with no worries what so ever until the first time I tried it on the high beam my hand slipped and I split the beam and almost broke my foot. That was a while ago, but I still haven't fully shaken from it.

Keep going - lots of practise where you feel comfortable, You are old enought to know when to move it up, move mats out. If all else fails could you compete your other events at level 8 and take the pressure off until it clicks again. It is hard to overcome a fear.

Just remember- the beam is not going to move. Get spot on the high beam, then when you are confident with a spot, use a beam pad until you are confident (you may want a spot for a few.) And so on. But just a warning- get your feet as close to the beam pad as you can without touching it when you swing back to do the BHS. When you do it without the beam pad, and you had your feet touching it beforem you'll freak out that you can't feel it. Best of luck!!!

Last edited:
Maybe you need some more time in level 7. You said you only did 3 meets in level 7 and did not compete a BHS. Maybe you need a year to compete your BHS without the added pressure of trying to connect it to your tik tok.

I can definitely commiserate! I did a bhs on beam for years, even competed it, but never really got over being terrified of the skill. It's really frustrating. My coaches did had me do a ton of drills and I was constantly going back to the low beam to gain confidence. But my main suggestion would be just don't rush it. Pushing yourself too fast could just lead to even more problems and fears which just aren't worth it in the long run. Take your time.
Go back to a line on the floor and work yourself back up slowly. Don't be afraid to spend an entire day, or several days, working them on the low beam. When you feel confident, really confident, move up to the next size beam. Ask for a spot if you need it, go back to drills if you are having a tough time landing them. When you have worked up to the high beam, do some with mats stacked underneath the beam, add a mat on top of the beam if needed. As you gain confidence you can gradually take the mats away. But be patient with yourself. Make little goals and gradually work towards them. Try to take at least some of the pressure off, you can work on cleaning up the other events while still working on the bhs. Take your time and relax!

I used to be the same way. My hands would miss the beam a lot, but every time it happened, it never really hurt. But right after falling, I was told to get up and do the skill two more times on the same beam. Then I wouldn't be scared. My coach says that your hands are going to miss the beam at some point. Whether it be now or when you are a level 10, it is still going to happen. Just be patient and don't rush. Imagine doing the skill perfectly, and take baby steps with the mats. Don't move one until you are 100% confident. You can do it, it just takes time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back