WAG Just not flexible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am just not flexible. When we stretch at the gym I'm always the one that asked to be pushed down, asks for oversplits, and pays attention. I just can't seem to get flexible. Every so often while I'm watching tv I'll get into my splits and sit in them. The thing is, they don't get better. For awhile I slowly improved my flexibility when I joined team, but I seem to have hit a point where I won't stretch any farther! I'm really strong, but the only stretch I can do well is pike.
Do you have any tips for me to get more flexible? I don't know what to do!!! And have any of you ever reached that point when you don't bend anymore?
Thanks for the help!
-Dyimnasta

at the recommendation of her coach, my 8 year old DD lays on her back with her bottom and legs up against the wall and her legs out to a center stretch while she reads. It seems to have really helped her.

at the recommendation of her coach, my 8 year old DD lays on her back with her bottom and legs up against the wall and her legs out to a center stretch while she reads. It seems to have really helped her.

Even though everyone seems to hate ankle weights...I do this stretch with ankle weights on to pull my legs down more. Love this stretch!

You know, some people will never get flexible. Many factors influence flexibility, muscles, tendons are among them. These are the factors on which you can have an impact by stretching. Bones shape can also prevent someone from being flexible. If it's your case, you could be stretching all day long, and it would not help.

You could try pnf stretching (That's the french abbreviation, someone could help me translate that??). You need help of someone to do this one though. In this type of stretching, you first stretch in a static way. So no mouvement. A split done by yourself is a static stretch. Then for a 10 seconds period, you contract the muscle you want to stretch. In a split, you want to contract the hamstring. After that, you relax completely. You should be able to go a little further. So if a coach is stretching your split, while you're on your back, you would have to push as if you wanted to bring back your legs together.

The contraction of the muscles inhibits the mechanisms that prevents you to go further. As the mechanisms have a protection role (so you don't injure yourself by going too far), it's important to do this kind of stretch when you're well warmed-up.

There might be restrictions somewhere other than in the muscle you are stretching. Have a look at the Ballet Blog by Lisa Howell, she also has youtube videos.

Catou made a great point, stretching like that is very helpful! I've also found oversplits have been the best way to get my split flat (especially middles), when you reach that point where you just can't go down further. Good luck and don't get too down on yourself, it's great that you're strong, and your flexibility will get there :)

Catou made a great point, stretching like that is very helpful! I've also found oversplits have been the best way to get my split flat (especially middles), when you reach that point where you just can't go down further. Good luck and don't get too down on yourself, it's great that you're strong, and your flexibility will get there :)

Oh yes. My DD *loves* her oversplits. Sometimes she does them either with the bottom step or with a few pillows while watching TV.

You could try pnf stretching (That's the french abbreviation, someone could help me translate that??). You need help of someone to do this one though. In this type of stretching, you first stretch in a static way. So no mouvement. A split done by yourself is a static stretch. Then for a 10 seconds period, you contract the muscle you want to stretch. In a split, you want to contract the hamstring. After that, you relax completely. You should be able to go a little further. So if a coach is stretching your split, while you're on your back, you would have to push as if you wanted to bring back your legs together.

The contraction of the muscles inhibits the mechanisms that prevents you to go further. As the mechanisms have a protection role (so you don't injure yourself by going too far), it's important to do this kind of stretch when you're well warmed-up.

It's not French- it's the abbreviation for Proprioreceptor Neuromuscular Facilitation. Basically by contracting your muscles, you fool your body/brain into thinking you're not at full stretch, so when you relax it can stretch further. I find it very effective. I'm not sure how popular it is these days though? Was all the rage back in the 80's :D

I still do it sometimes with my gymnasts. I think it's really encouraging because you see a difference pretty fast. You need someone who can help you do it well though, so you don't get hurt.

I couldn't figure the good words in english in my head so it would fit the abbreviation I was used to. Now I know why, they're not exactly the same in french.

For awhile I slowly improved my flexibility when I joined team, but I seem to have hit a point where I won't stretch any farther!

You have hit a plateau in the protocol that your stretching is being programmed. The only way it's going to progress is by moving beyond it or changing it up. It may also help to work a few stretches that stretch any muscles that are really tight and limiting your flexibility. Try half splits in front or side, pidgeon, butterfly, or these: Glute Stretches . Check internal/external rotation of the hip.

Some research has shown that it is necessary to stretch up to 30 minutes in a position to faciliate muscle elongation. This is done in PT studies. I know that in ballet they frequently hold stretches for 15-30 minutes whereas most gyms rarely go over 3 minutes if 5-7 in the off-season.

That being said, I think it's something that has to be worked up to. It's gonna suck.

You know the whole diatribe, " Relax into the stretch, breathe. "

Build up slowly. Don't bother to stretch the next day as you will probably create enough tissue damage in one session that it may take a few days or a week to fully recover, especially if you get into the 7-15 minutes duration.

I do something like:

30 second hold (basically warmup) 1 minute, 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes, 3 minutes for the first session; perhaps even omitting the last 3 minute hold. Don't stretch again for similar duration until your legs feel fresh. Obviously, it's best if the tissue is warm before stretching which is generally the case at the end of practice or after a warmup of some kind.

Next session add the 3 minute hold, and then possibly a 5 minute hold. At the session after that, you might repeat the protocol for another couple of sessions unless you feel ready to move on. If so, add a minute at a time, or 30 seconds at least.

I would not do more than one session a day because more than likely the tissue will not have recovered within time in between ( from 4-12 hours ) to be ready to then stretch again for such a duration. It probably is alright to stretch for up to a minute or 90 seconds after one of these session but it will depend on how much tissue damage was done.

Again, it's probably going to be uncomfortable as all get out. I wouldn't be surprised if a gymnast cried or tried to tear my hair out or fight against while doing so.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back