Coaches Kip help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hammy1207

Coach
Judge
My level 4s are having trouble with their kips. They started off great, but now after 2 months of working on the kips, they're starting to hit a road block (which I know is normal as some kids figure out kips quickly and others take forever).

Here are their main trouble areas:
1. Glide swing--they're trying to rush to the leg lift, so they are not extending their glide swing (we've gone back to reviewing glide swings and these look great, it's just putting it into the actual kip)
2. A fast enough leg lift, so it is done at the right timing (we have done block kips-where they lay with their hips and legs on a block, leg lift, and kip)
3. The rocking action at the end--sit up and shift the wrists (we've been doing drop kips, floor bar kips, and started working in bar kips on p-bars)

Thanks!

Without a video I'm not sure if my suggestions will help but here goes.

Depending on where kids are (read: how close they are), one of my favorite drills is this. Have kids glide out like they would be doing a normal kip. Then instead of lifting both legs, have them lift only one leg and swing back and up on top of the bar so that they are finishing in the position they would start a stride circle in (but with hands facing forward). I like this for a lot of reasons. It generally helps kids with timing. Kids who are close to their kips can generally do this. It gets kids really thinking about swinging, and not just about what they think they're supposed to be doing.

DON"T PANIC, stick to your guns and demand a straight arm kip, no matter how long it takes.
Okay, drop kips are great, but you have to make sure that THEY are doing most of the work. When the child is in the dropping phase of the drop kip, DO NOT HOLD THE FEET/legs. Put your hand back on the legs on the up swing. Also help them until the shoulders are about 20 degrees from vertical, then make the struggle the rest up with your hand on their back. NO BENT ARMS. This may make it a little harder on you at first, but will pay off. Also, how many drop kips are they doing? I suggest doing long sets.
Glide portion, spot it over and over again, do lots of strength. I will say that if the are just spread out trying kips over and over again by themselves they will not get them as fast as if you are shaping and spotting them through sets.
Also, 90 percent of my kids get the long hang kip first. we have a block set up in front of a single rail and that is where they are allowed to try kips alone (so that is where they always get them first). Other than that, they are being spotted by a coach on the low bar, doing sets of kip casts, over and over again.
My favorite kip strength drill is called a jump up. Using the wall bars, (slatted bars that are mounted on the wall for leg lifts) have the kids face the wall, grab the bar at belly button or chest high, jump up to a support and try and hold. They may have to turn their heads sideways so they don't smash their face on the bars in front of them. I can send you a pic of this drill if you want. we do contests the last couple of minutes of each rotation to see who is the best. (best 3 minutes of bar strength you can do).
Lastly, and certainly not least, BUT BOMBS, you need a block under a low bar and a pre-school spring board on it, the kids get into a support, (piked because the block is under them) they then bounce off the spring board back to a support with locked elbows, over and over again. You need a soft board so we use only a pre school board.
Hope that helps.

Are they strong enough/physically prepared to begin with?

Because if they are not, you are basically gonna be stuck on the same progressions for a LONG time. Some of the kids might luck out and figure out the timing, but most non kippers won't.

Are they strong enough/physically prepared to begin with?

Because if they are not, you are basically gonna be stuck on the same progressions for a LONG time. Some of the kids might luck out and figure out the timing, but most non kippers won't.

We've been working extra conditioning--extra leg lifts and abs, drop kips, hanging with toes by the bar, as well as wrist shifts, jump ups etc.

I've had a few kids who are close to their kip get the single leg shoot through kip.

I'm in Anchorage. The UAA team actually works out in my gym.
--
Cool, well you know my daughter then along with Paul and coach T. :) I have a conditioning circuit just for bars that she can show you when she returns in September. I will Pm you her name.

We do alot of box kips from two legs pushing block further way, and then onto 1 leg box kip, keeping "free" leg again the bar and push up and out to the "finish". I had a girl 2 years not getting the kip, after a couple of dozen of these got her glide kip.

Another one got their long hang kip on Wednesday before the Fourth of July break! I had an epiphany while at the Region 2 Compulsory Workshop regarding the split basket swing (Level 3 option in place of forward stride circle)--all the skill is, is a drop kip with their legs split!! I've been having my 3/4s do these--starting in clear stride position and rocking backwards. I allow them to hook their knee on the upswing, but once they figure that out, they have to keep a straight leg. I've given my level 3s the choice of either skill to compete, but they will be training both and competing the one that looks cleanest. The addition of the skill into our workout has given them an additional step before drop kips on their own.

Another one got their long hang kip on Wednesday before the Fourth of July break! I had an epiphany while at the Region 2 Compulsory Workshop regarding the split basket swing (Level 3 option in place of forward stride circle)--all the skill is, is a drop kip with their legs split!! I've been having my 3/4s do these--starting in clear stride position and rocking backwards. I allow them to hook their knee on the upswing, but once they figure that out, they have to keep a straight leg. I've given my level 3s the choice of either skill to compete, but they will be training both and competing the one that looks cleanest. The addition of the skill into our workout has given them an additional step before drop kips on their own.

You're on the right track with the stride "basket kip" and should try a double leg basket (with both legs between their hands. Another good exercise/modification......

Get a saw horse and put a sting mat over it

Put it about 36 inches away from a single bar

Raise the bar so it is 36 inches higher than the top of the saw horse.

Have them kip to the single rail from a extended starting position with their upper thighs supported by the saw horse. It's a good drill to help them get the swing rythym of the kip with out gliding. Have them work plenty of glided as a separate drill.

You're on the right track with the stride "basket kip" and should try a double leg basket (with both legs between their hands. Another good exercise/modification......

Get a saw horse and put a sting mat over it

Put it about 36 inches away from a single bar

Raise the bar so it is 36 inches higher than the top of the saw horse.

Have them kip to the single rail from a extended starting position with their upper thighs supported by the saw horse. It's a good drill to help them get the swing rythym of the kip with out gliding. Have them work plenty of glided as a separate drill.

We've done this type of drill on the p-bars. The girls really like it--even though it's a difficult one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back