Proud Parent
Can anyone enlighten me as to the deductions for any the following on L3 bars:

- Bent arms at end of FHC
- Extra cast before shoot-through
- Ending up hanging upside-down under the bar after shoot-through
- Squeezing bar between legs at end of mill circle
- Awkward leg cut with tummy leaning on bar
- Step on landing of dismount

Are the kids supposed to get some sort of score sheet or rubric with the deductions marked, or do they just see the score flashed? Also, is the Code of Points on line somewhere, or do you really have to pay $60 to get a copy? I would like to know where the deductions are coming from, but I would really feel like a CGM actually buying a copy of the Code of Points.

I know some of those off hand:

falling on your mill circle (hanging upside down) is considered a fall and is .5 deduction.

step on landing can be .1 if small to .3 if big. If there is more than 1 step, each step is deducted (3 steps/shuffles is .3 - .9 in deductions depending on how judge sees the issue.

I believe the tummy on bar during shoot thru, the bent arms on FHC, and the extra cast are all up to/are .3 deductions but those I am not 100% certain.

Good luck with level 3...bars can be a huge challenge because there is so much that can be deducted so quickly.

Also, you can buy the compulsory iPad tutorial from usagymnastics and it gives you an exemplar of each routine from level 1 - level 5 (video), step by step walk through of each routine (text) and a list of common deductions and their value. It costs $29.99 which might be easier to swallow.

And no, your daughter will never be given a rubric of what went wrong by the judges. The score is the score. Unless your gym has a judges' meet where they bring judges in to specifically judge, score and explain what they are looking for.

What queenbee said. You will never get an explanation of deductions, and they can sometimes be baffling..! ;) This is only my DDs third season in competitive gymnastics, but I learned really quickly to just let the scores be what they are and not wonder too much why and how. The coaches will let her know what she needs to improve on. I will only comment on the good things like "yay. You really nailed that BhS on beam!" And not worry too much about scores or placement.

Also, many deductions are worded "up to .3" (i.e. bent arms), so expect the score from meet to meet to change based not only on performance, but on the judges. For parents, it is tempting to try to help your daughter minimize her deductions by telling her what to do differently, but really it is so much better to leave this to the coaches. They will know what to work on first with her and it can be counterproductive for parents to start giving input. For instance, many parents know that steps on landings are bad, but if parents start coaching their kids to not take the step, then the kid may try to compensate with dismount with less amplitude, which then will incur more deductions and be counterproductive to her progressions. Look for the stuff she did well and be her cheerleader! She will get enough feedback on all the things she is not doing right.

Look for the stuff she did well and be her cheerleader! She will get enough feedback on all the things she is not doing right.

Definitely! I am just trying to understand the scoring for my own nerdy mommy purposes, but perhaps that is a losing battle.

I've learned over time that ignorance truly is bliss when it comes to knowing a lot about the nitty gritty of scoring.

If you absolutely want to know (I did for a while) I second the suggestion of the compulsory app from USAG.

But, like I said, it can kinda drive you crazy to know every little thing. I enjoy watching more when I am not nit-picking my kids' performances.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the deductions for any the following on L3 bars:

- Bent arms at end of FHC
- Extra cast before shoot-through
- Ending up hanging upside-down under the bar after shoot-through
- Squeezing bar between legs at end of mill circle
- Awkward leg cut with tummy leaning on bar
- Step on landing of dismount

Are the kids supposed to get some sort of score sheet or rubric with the deductions marked, or do they just see the score flashed? Also, is the Code of Points on line somewhere, or do you really have to pay $60 to get a copy? I would like to know where the deductions are coming from, but I would really feel like a CGM actually buying a copy of the Code of Points.
OMG I never even knew this existed. I would not pay 6 dollars though, let alone 60. I do not want my DD to become a CGG (crazy gym gymnast)!!! She would nitpick herself to death if she knew what every deduction was, because this is just how she is...

ETA: I posted before reading all the replies and had to laugh when someone else used the nitpick word, hah! It is interesting, because my DD likes to know 'certain' things, meaning ones she struggles with, so on those, she asks, and gets a general answer that satisfies her. Me? I don't ask. And I don't really want to know either....the only thing I knew in level 4 was that not making your kip was very, very B.A.D....thank God this never happened to my girl!

Almost impossible to say degree of deduction without seeing. Some of the above info is wrong because typically falling back to knee hang not only implies a fall, it implies the element was incomplete plus had execution errors so expect significant deductions. If they were to complete the mill circle and then fall forward it would be a different story.

At a meet, you just see a score flashed.

Besides you would want the compulsory book which you can get as an app on the App Store but I don't really recommend it because it'll just drive you crazy. Bars is generally the hardest and last to come.

Yep to all of the above! The scoring can and will drive you batty if you let it. I know L3 feels super competitive and in all honesty, it is! But just keep watching for the light at the end of the tunnel! Those L3 bar skills won't be around for long. And then you won't EVER have to worry about that blasted mill circle again! Some kids never really get it. My dd is one of them & she will test for HOPES elite this year! She actually tried one just the other day. She didn't make it and then went back to working on front Giants and toe shoots!

That mill circle is going to fade away and it won't matter.

We have a vague notion of things are supposed to look like when we have our parents meeting.

And sometimes you just go WTF where did they get the score from.

Its just gymnastics.

Yep to all of the above! The scoring can and will drive you batty if you let it. I know L3 feels super competitive and in all honesty, it is! But just keep watching for the light at the end of the tunnel! Those L3 bar skills won't be around for long. And then you won't EVER have to worry about that blasted mill circle again!

I think my dd is one of the few that will miss the shoot through and mill circle. She's actually become really good at them this season. Who knows what will happen with level 4 bars though since it's a whole new set of skills.. I think pretty much everyone else on her level 3 team is counting down the days until they never have to do either of them again. :)

Lol about the mill circle/stride circle! DD skipped L3 (started competing at L4) and she never had to learn it. I was teaching it to my developmental team this summer and she was all over it, wanting to learn it. She did, really easily (one would hope so considering she's a L7!!) and thinks they're quite fun..! Completely redundant bars skill though..! ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back