Leg Muscle Work-Outs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

About 3 weeks ago I broke my foot on beam at a meet. :( The muscle in my right leg ( the one with the broken foot ) is starting to get really small and my other one of course is getting really big! So, I was wondering if there is anyway/workout to do, to try to keep the muscle from getting any smaller or to build it in anyway? Thanks! :)

How long will you be in the cast? My daughter broke her foot a few years ago and was casted for 8 weeks ...once out of the cast, and back to training, the muscles came back! Don't despair and let your foot heal completely...and enjoy the rest!

What if you went to a normal gym (with machines and weights) and did some of the leg exercises on the machines such as the hamstring curls, no weight bearing at all, there are other machines like this as well but if i were you I would rest and let the muscle rebuild after the injury

I broke my ankle about 2 months ago and was just allowed to get back to gradual weight bearing in a walking boot right before Christmas (6 weeks after it happened). Since I couldn't put any weight on that foot for the first 6 weeks, I just decided I would take it easy, follow the doctors directions, and just resume normal activity when cleared and wait it out until the muscles evened themselves out again. I'm sure there are things you can do (balance on your left foot using beam or wall to help balance and hold left leg up at horizontal to the front, out to the side, and to the back for 30-60 seconds; kicks standing on your left leg with a theraband, those types of things) but I would definitely want to talk to your doctor first before working on any exercises. He/she might be able to even recommend specific activities that won't interfere with your particular injury.
Your doctor might also recommend going to physical therapy when the injury is healed and they would be able to help you start engaging the muscles in your right leg again in a safe way ensuring you don't overdo it or irritate the injured foot. I know it's frustrating but you'll get through it and the muscles will come back quicker than you think. It's better to take the time to let it heal properly than risking further complications.

There is some research out there that states that the non working leg can still be maintained during an injury in which it is not worked due to growth hormone release during unilateral lower body strength training. In non technical speak, by working the good leg your bad leg can recieve some of the benefits. If you are in a boot, you can do some isometric leg strength drills with a partner in which you push your leg while they try to resist that. For unilateral leg training, you can work single leg squats on the good leg.

Yes I am in a boot and I am taking it slow it's just kinda annoying that one leg is big and more muscular and it keeps getting stronger and the other one is tiny.

Just try to remember it's only a temporary thing. It'll catch up when you get out of the boot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back