Parents Legit reasons to change gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ariekannairb

Proud Parent
We got involved in team sort of suddenly last year. I was in a complete ignorant dream world and now that I know a bit more and know where my daughter hopes to be (for the time being) in terms of goals, we are considering if we should change gyms. I just want some advice, affirmation, whatever you have to give as this is not a decision we are taking lightly. We have become very close to the other girls and moms on her level and leaving would be a VERY difficult decision. So here are my reasons:

1. Location-the gym we are looking at is slightly closer. We are driving about 30 minutes each way so it does wear on us a bit.

2. Technique- We are at a very new gym and while I think they are doing great, I do feel like my daughter could be doing better. I don't mean that in a "she is so awesome and they are holding her back" kind of way, but rather in a she is average but works very hard, kind of way. With a little more encouragement she is capable of doing more than she is right now. I am her mom and I just know she isn't where she could be and she definitely isn't where she wants to be. I watched the gym we are considering looking at, and they were just beautiful with form and technique. It was like they really took the time to work on the small things that this gym has let my daughter get away with. Things that make a difference between stalling and getting to move on to the next skill progression. I also do not feel like they stretch or condition enough. I am not expecting a 4 day a week workout at this age, but I would expect back muscles to be stretched regularly and for them to working on their splits. I am sometimes concerned about injury.

3. Current gym only goes to level 4. She is looking at being a level 3 this coming meet season depending on picking up the 2 skills she is lacking. The gym can not do upper levels because of ceiling heights and a few legalities that the head coach was telling me about when we first looked at the gym. At the time level 4 seemed so far away that I didn't think about it. Now it seems almost cruel to continue to get her used to this gym, these coaches and her team mates only to have to rip her away from them when she levels up past where the gym stops.

We take this seriously and I would love your feedback on my thoughts!

#3 would seal it for me. I can't imagine why they would even be in a facility that precludes them from being able to go past level 4. Seems really weird to me.

I'll add that we just changed gyms. I see a HUGE difference in the attention to the details for my kids at the new gym and am seeing improvements after just a week of practices. I can't imagine how much better it will be after an entire summer.

We changed gyms almost exactly one year ago. It was very difficult for both DD and myself because we both had friends there and liked the owners. However, we knew from a progression point of view it was the right thing to do (and it has proved out so true). In your instance, the fact that the levels are so limited is a clear sign that your daughter would need to change at some point if she intends to stick it out. However, we have a couple gyms in our area that are not "hip" gyms (i.e., those with former Olympians or lots of level 10s) that still produce some good compulsory gymnasts. Given your daughter's level, if the scores at your current gym are reasonable (on mymeetscores or state websites), you're likely not jeopardizing her future in gymnastics with one more year (you mentioned technique may be an issue so not sure with this point). But she's so new to the sport that she hasn't even encountered the tough skills that start to weed girls out (ie., kip). A GM I met when we were first starting on team (her daughter's now a high placing level 10 at nationals) once told me that I would know when it was time to change gyms. She was right. There were so many questions, concerns and uncertainties. But honestly the old gym was fine for compulsories. I think some parents mistakenly think that just because they move their child to the gym with a better reputation or pedigree that their child will be a much better gymnast. That's not always the case if they're getting reasonable training. They could get put on the team that's not fast track and get less attention. Or not get attention because they're not perceived as prodigees (just making this up here). Make sure you observe the new gym a couple times. Are the girls smiling or crying? Do you see the conditioning you mentioned? Did you try to talk any of the parents in the lobby (always a great source of plusses and minuses). Good luck!

SInce the gym does not go past level 4, I would change asap. Many gym s don't even compete until level 5 (new 4). The problem is there is no future at this gym in a year or two. I know it's hard to leave friends etc. , but even staying doesn't guarantee the kids will stay together. We are learning this painful lesson when my 6 year old got moved up to a new group away from six of her friends she has been with for two years. Their practice times don't overlap and she has basically been ripped away from her best friends. It isn't easy but it is right for her gymnastics. I think you should make the move while she is young as long as the other gym meets what you are looking for.

Level 4!! that is only the first level for comp (now L3). Not a very team program. The first thing you have to ask yourself are you having your daughter participate in gymnastic on a team for social reason or to be a gymnast? For us the gymnastics is first then the social stuff comes later. For us we were at a gym for over 13 years (first son then DD) and when things weren't right we left. Yes it was very hard but in the end it was for the best. Kids bounce back quickly and make new friends just like you will make new gym mom friends. The great thing is if you really are friends with the old gym moms you still will be after the switch and its great when you go to a meet and see them too. From your reasons I would have move along time ago.

The team program topping out at L4 is a complete non-starter for a child who dreams of doing optional level gymnastics, and has shown she'll work with positive energy to make that goal a reality.

Find the best gym that suits your child's combined sum of goals, work ethic, physical gifts, and mental abilities. It's not just about physical abilities. The same thing can be said about gym clubs. While each asset in the areas of equipment, practice time provided, staff experience, ability, and philosophy are important, you'll rarely find one gym that has it all. Set your priorities based upon what your daughter has proven she wants, and not on what she says she wants.

I agree with the others - #3 on your list does it - you need to find a different gym. Your in a good position as you get to evaluate and choose a new gym while your DD is rather new to the sport. Good luck!

#3 does it for me too and it's not a dig on your current gym; you've just outgrown it and it's time to move on. Gymnastics is too expensive to waste time and money on a program that can't fulfill your needs...

You stated that its a new gym correct? That's a valid reason for not having higher levels. Every gym has to start somewhere. I don't think it's an indication that there is a problem, yet. Unless the coaches left another gym and brought a bunch of kids with them, where would a new gym get higher levels from? And if they aren't in a facility that can currently handle optional level gymnasts, maybe that's smart business for the moment? New gyms will often start small and build. I can tell you DD's gym opened less than 10 years ago with owners moving from 1000 miles away. They started out with a tiny team and no optionals. Now the team is more than 100 girls and more optionals than compulsory gymnasts. The level 10 team is actually larger than any other level!

Obviously I don't know the particulars about your gym, but being that your child is a level 3 and maybe not even that since you said she is missing some skills, I really don't know that I'd uproot her if she's happy there.

one more thought that I wanted to add... As I said, we just changed gyms. One of my reasons for deciding to go ahead and do it was that the kids were just going to get closer to the kids at their gym if they stayed for one more year instead of starting to make ties to the new gym. I knew that in a year we would need to change. One of the big arguments for leaving them at that gym for just one more year was their friends; but then I realized that going ahead and moving now would mean that they could start getting to know the coaches and kids who they will be on team with for good (I hope, I REALLY researched before making this change and feel very optimistic that we can stay at this new gym until they either are done with gymnastics or graduate from high school). So far so good for them, we just finished up our first full week of practice at the new gym and the kids and I all had a talk and they all said that they are happy with the change.

Bring everyone a treat on the last day and move on.

We changed gyms a year ago for these same reasons: DO IT AND DO IT NOW! Do not pass go, do not collect $200 (or wait another year): Especially if form is an issue at the old gym, you need to give your DD time to "unlearn" the bad habits. We were going to let DD finish out the season in the old gym, but with the urging of the new coach (and old coach), she switched immediately and it was the best thing!

Just be prepared: she will most likely regress some at first as she has to learn the proper technique. However, it will be worth it as she progresses into the higher levels.

Take this fwiw...

First,we are part of a new gym (only two meet seasons under their belts) that only has up to the new level 5. Child will be a level 2 or 3 this coming meet season (also dependent on two things) meaning that if the gym didn't grow, there still would be three meet years, at least, for a child going into level 3. There are some concerns about kiddo being allowed to get away with not doing certain things they should be doing (form, whole moves, etc). However, the top girls at each level of this gym are very strong, doing better than the other competition teams. So though maybe more pushing on certain things *does* need to happen, what *is* happening is some really good stuff.

I absolutely love our gym, the owners, the other parents, the environment, and the gymnastics. People are coming to this gym from other gyms noticing extreme progress quickly.

For us, it is going to come down to practice times which really stinks. Did I think my daughter will possibly have to move gyms at some point? Yes, possibly. But I would not be moving this year or next if I didn't have to. I still think there is some good stuff going on at this gym, some really good stuff. Additionally, there *will* be issues and concerns at ANY gym. We are going to wonder whether it is best that they do or don't do X or Y. We are going to wonder if they are pushing or not pushing enough. The issues may be different; but the chance there won't be ANY is very slim.

It is such a hard decision. I have read several other such threads and many times the answers have been that there is no hurry for an early level, young child. Of course, once a child is 8 or 9 and no longer pre-team levels, things start changing.

The gym can not do upper levels because of ceiling heights and a few legalities that the head coach was telling me about when we first looked at the gym.

This is more concerning to me than anything else....if there are "legalities" that prevent progression, AND the facility is not equipped to train the girls properly, then I, personally, would not want to keep sending my daughter (and money) to that gym.

When we moved our DD to the new gym last year, she was a level 5....and that was the highest level gymnast the coach had (she had only started the gym about 5 years prior)..the group of girls in my DD's level is still the highest level ever at the gym. However, our coach was a level 9 gymnast, is very competent, and is always looking for ways to learn and grow. So, when I say "run, don't walk" to the new gym, its not because they don't have high level gymnasts already training there- it's because of the reasons quoted above.

I agree with gymmom1974 - the reason I would go ahead and move and not give the gym "a chance" is because they CAN'T have higher levels. It isn't that it is a new club and they haven't gotten a chance to grow to that point. Their facility is limited in what level they can coach to. So it isn't that by the time your DD is a level 5 there will be some level 6 or 7 girls. That can't happen unless they change facilities, which I'd assume is unlikely to happen in the next few years. So, knowing that a gym move would HAVE to happen soon, I'd just go ahead and do it now.

We have gyms in our area who tout that they aren't competitive. That is one of their selling points - that they are just rec gyms. And that is what some people want, so the gym is a good fit. Possibly your current gym is a good fit for kids who focus on other sports, or who don't want gymnastics to be the sport that they do long term. But if your DD is like any of my 3 kids, then that wouldn't be a good fit. Sure, the kids are young; but if at this point they have shown a dedication to the sport and all signs indicate that this is a long term thing, then IMO you want to make it possible for it to actually be a long term thing. Also IMO, younger kids make the transitions a little easier than older kids. Younger kids make friends more easily. I have seen it with my kids. With the new gym my son was in a great spot - his BFF also swapped gyms along with him. Plus boys gymnastics is just different - he already knew several of the kids on the new team from talking to them at competitions and they are all getting to be buddies after just a week. For my 9 yo DD, she is having a harder time making friends. It has only been a week, and she will get there; but as girls get older it can take a little time. For my 7 yo DD it has been a breeze and she already has a few girls who she is "new BFFs with". And I think that just goes with being younger, it just seems easier.

I agree with gymmom1974 - the reason I wold go ahead and move and not give the gym "a chance" is because they CAN'T have higher levels. It isn't that it is a new club and they haven't gotten a chance to grow to that point. Their facility is limited in what level they can coach to. So it isn't that by the time your DD is a level 5 there will be some level 6 or 7 girls. That can't happen unless they change facilities, which I'd assume is unlikely to happen in the next few years. So, knowing that a gym move would HAVE to happen soon, I'd just go ahead and do it now.

This is kind of where I am at, though I am still having a very hard time with the idea of changing. I have spoken to my daughter and all she was worried about was if she would get to have play dates with one particular girl. Once I put her mind at ease over that she said she was willing to try the new gym. I have contacted the place recommended to me and am just waiting on them to get back to me about a trial class. The biggest deal is that we are going to have to change eventually...

Gym change is never easy but is the right thing to do for your dds circumstance. We moved dd after her level 4 season because the gym was just starting out usag team. That meant no upper levels and coach was learning as the girls did :eek:. That was 5 seasons ago and dd is happy and has progressed successfully through to the upper levels (shes training 9). Hope the trial for your dd goes well and she can move during the summer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back