Leicester New College

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

Has anyone had children who have competed at New College Leicester?

My oldest dd has her NDP Grades there this Sunday. I am wondering if there is a cafe on site that is open on a Sunday or drinks / snack machines available.

DD did her grades there a few weeks ago - and we have some disability gymnasts going this weekend too and I am picturing the set up being the same. I didn't find a café, but there was a little area set up at the side of the competition area for selling drinks and snacks - chocolate bars and crisps and stuff rather than sandwiches I think. That is also where you go and buy professional photos and/or her badge afterwards.
Seating is on bleachers and I felt nearer to the action than in other places where we have watched from a balcony or on seats at one end of the gym. Everywhere is a good view.

the trickiest part of the day was parking. There were lots of other sports going on at the same time and we just ended up parking with the rugby crowd rather than the official gymnastics parking.

It's a nice venue and not too intimidating for kids without much competition experience. I hope you all have a great day.

We have been told that we cannot park in the main car park for that reason, just to use it to drop off, we have been told to use another car park a short walk away.

It is a shame that they don't have a cafe, will have to take our own sandwiches etc. We are looking forward to our first NDP grades (and the clubs first lot of disability gymnasts NDP grades), not looking forward to the mega early start, have to leave around 4:30am to get there for 8:30am, warm ups at 9am and it is all over by 2:30pm, it is a shame it didn't start later, we cannot go the day before due to other commitments.

I wonder if the photo company is the same one from other comps, dd has had 2 lots in the last 5 months so will only try and buy the one pose set but will more than likely be tempted into buying more lol as I can't resist them as they are so good.

Just remembered I went to watch the English Intermediate comps there a short while back. Quite a low key venue and no cafe as the others have said. But most comps have a host club, who raise money by selling some simple refreshments, but I don't know if you want to rely on that. They had tea and coffee and snacks I think, but you weren't allowed to take drinks in the viewing area.

Most people tried to park at the front, which is on the main road, and this was heaving. As was parking at the rugby club next door. We turned up Greencoat road (a side road just before the school) and about 100m up there was a big car park behind a chain link fence - sort of at the back of the school. There was loads of room in there. We made the mistake of trying to find our way through the school buildings from the car park though and got horribly confused, so I would walk back around to the front of the school and go in that way (around to the right of it).

Just remembered I went to watch the English Intermediate comps there a short while back. Quite a low key venue and no cafe as the others have said. But most comps have a host club, who raise money by selling some simple refreshments, but I don't know if you want to rely on that. They had tea and coffee and snacks I think, but you weren't allowed to take drinks in the viewing area.

Most people tried to park at the front, which is on the main road, and this was heaving. As was parking at the rugby club next door. We turned up Greencoat road (a side road just before the school) and about 100m up there was a big car park behind a chain link fence - sort of at the back of the school. There was loads of room in there. We made the mistake of trying to find our way through the school buildings from the car park though and got horribly confused, so I would walk back around to the front of the school and go in that way (around to the right of it).

We have been advised by Brisitsh Gymnastics to park in Greencoates Road and take a short walk round the the Gymnastics Centre Entrance. We can be dropped off at Glenfield Road but not park there.

I am suprised that there is no cafe on site as the place is used a lot of big competitions.

My oldest dd is taking part in the Disability Gymnastics National Development Plan Finals on Sumday 6th April. What does it mean by finals? Dd has never done grades before.

My oldest dd is taking part in the Disability Gymnastics National Development Plan Finals on Sumday 6th April. What does it mean by finals? Dd has never done grades before.

I think it's likely that there's not the volume of competitors for disability grades, so they don't bother with having to qualify, everyone can go to finals (the national comp for the UK) :). Disability gym tends to be way more inclusive too, so they are less bothered about pass marks and qualification marks.

Good luck! I love disability gym, just such a fantastic atmosphere. And the CGM is an unheard of species :)

There isn't really much need to be a CGM in disbility gymnastics, everyone is so friendly and want everyone to do well. I have only been to 2 disability competitions and the atmosphere is so fantastic, watching the medal winners jumping up and down with excitement on the podium is so heartwarming. I have seen a couple of vdeos on utube of some higher level (Grades 2 and 1) and what they can do leaves me in awe of them.

I have been guilty of having a touch of CGM when it came to my youngest dd, it was all that not knowing what was going on, now everything is sorted and she is now doing 5 hours a week split over 2 days I am a lot more relaxed, I feel really lucky that both of my dd's have coaches that communicate with you and my youngest dd's coach has said that she would be quite happy to have a chat with any of the parents when the group is doing warm ups if we need to know anything else.

All the best for your dd on Sunday, that is a hugely early start. Is there an option for a travel lodge the night before?

We have been given some premier inn addresses but we cannot travel the night before due to other commitments. Both of my dd's will get around 7 hours sleep the night before and can sleep on the journey, I am considering letting them travel in their onesies and change either on route when we stop for a break or when we get there.

That's a good idea, I'd do the bed lift in the morning & duvets in the car!
I hope you all have a good day, good luck!

Make sure you pack snacks and food, we ended up having to find a supermarket when we went for DD grades and that was a nightmare!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back