Leotard sizing, just a vent

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

DD got 3 new leos in the mail today from Alpha Factor. All 3 of them are the same size, but completely different sizes. I ordered CS because they are work-out leos and I wanted them to have a little growing room. I pulled out the first leo and it was tiny. I double checked the tag for the size because it looks like her CXS from AF. It fits perfectly, very sleek fit, but that's not what I wanted in a work-out leo. I put it up against her CXS which is the exact same leo, just different patterns and they are exactly the same size even though one is CS and one is CXS.

On to leo #2 which is way too big for her to even wear. That one goes in the closet for another 6 months or so.

Leo #3 is the worst. Length wise it's a good fit, but it's incredibly wide. It looks retarded and she'll never be able to wear it unless she changes body type because by the time she's that wide she'll be too long. AF leos are always narrow through the hips and this one is gigantic. It's a super cute though. The body is a velvet zebra print with a square neck with shiny pink and a little flower. I'm very disappointed. It's going to have to go back for an exchange. I hope exchanges are easy.

unfortunately, its not just AF. You have sizing probs like this with any brand...and don't even get me started on dance leos, lol!!!

The only brand we've tried which has been somewhat consistent (though not always!) is GK. They fit my dd pretty well and seem to run very similar across the material types. Idk what size you'd order for your dd though because my dd wears a cxs as her comp leo, and cm's to work out in and I know your dd must be smaller than mine! Do they make an xxs?

Good luck with your returns...the first one may have just been miss-tagged.

It looks retarded and she'll never be able to wear it unless she changes body type because by the time she's that wide she'll be too long.

Oh my. Sounds disappointing. I would like the moderators to clarify but I hope that such language to describe disappointments will not become common on CB because I would not find it to be a very welcoming place. I accept it if this is allowed but feel compelled to register my concern.

Oh my. Sounds disappointing. I would like the moderators to clarify but I hope that such language to describe disappointments will not become common on CB because I would not find it to be a very welcoming place. I accept it if this is allowed but feel compelled to register my concern.

I share this concern.

Ableist language is significantly not ok in my worldview. Discrimination of any sort makes me uncomfortable.

Actually I can't figure out how to edit my post on this new board. I can't find an edit button. I will just rephrase. The leotard looks "silly" on her. Unless she suddenly becomes built completely differently it won't fit her in this lifetime.

In my 8 years of buying leos for DD, I have found that Alpha Factor is the absolute worse in their sizing!! I will never buy another AF leotard. Oh and their customer service is also the worse I have EVER dealt with! Basically, "it's your problem, not mine" attitude. STAY AWAY FROM AF!!

I only use one brand of leotards which is GK and they all fit the same pretty much there was one that fit the same except for the leg holes. I have tried on most of GKs stock as we have an outlet and they are pretty good for sizing :)

I've had this issue with leos too. Talking with someone from GK I was told that they are cut differently due to fabric type (2-way or 4-way stretch)...some may appear wider than others but are "supposed to" fit the same way when worn.

...just a side note-I hope the original post is editted soon. I, too, find use of the "R" word in this context particularly offensive as the sister of an MR brother and parent to 2 daughters who devote their time (above training 15-20 hours per week) to coaching special olympic gymnasts as well as participating on a unified gymnastics team.

In my 8 years of buying leos for DD, I have found that Alpha Factor is the absolute worse in their sizing!! I will never buy another AF leotard. Oh and their customer service is also the worse I have EVER dealt with! Basically, "it's your problem, not mine" attitude. STAY AWAY FROM AF!!

Couldn't agree more! Their try-on comp leo is one stretchy material, and no way represents any foil leo that comp leos are usually made out of. My dd tried on one size, and when it came it was huge!!!!! Waste of $150! And even the "traditional" cut is way too high, and all the girls complain of the wedgies it gives them, and keep tugging on them. We have also had a problem with missing parts of the team order, mixing up sizes, and lost orders (even with a confirmation email). My fav and my dd's fav leos are from Snowflake Designs. They fit great, quick shipping, easy exchanges, and last forever. My dd wore a crushed velvet one for 4 years, and it was still shiny. GK is pretty good, but I have the worst time keeping the foil look on their leos. After a wear or two, and washing according to directions, the foil starts wearing off and turning silver. I refuse to buy foils from GK any more unless its a comp leo and I have no choice.

DD has the biggest problem with foil dot leos too. I follow the washing directions and it will come off in strange places. I bought DD a very expensive snowflake leo in October and she wore it one time and the foil look came off in several places. Then she has other foil leos that she has had for over a year that have no problem. I just don't get it. It's not places where she has rubbed against anything. I'm beginning to think she has toxic sweat or something.

I have had minor sizing issues with all leo brands, but this was just the worst. Usually the leo will end up being too big which never bothers me as far as money goes. She will just grow into it. This leo really isn't going to be wearable.

I also wanted to clarify that they are AF leos, but I actually bought them from Discountleotards. I've never returned anything to them before, but have always had good service from them.

GK has been pretty consistent for DD, but the leg opening is what will often differ. Some leos will be cut higher, which to me looks better, and then one will come with a cut that looks more like a ballet leotard. How do GK competition leos run generally? I was told by several parents that they seem to run larger than the work-out leos. Have you found this to be true?

Alpha Factor is horrible for fit, unless you can try it on....stick with GK/Adidas. Also have liked Satara leos but their sizing is a little different but we first saw them at a meet and were able to try them on before purchase.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back