Anon Level 2 or preteam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (6988)

Also posted on fb

I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking this but opinion are welcomed.

My daughter is 4, 5 in a couple of weeks. Like any 4 year old, she wants to be the best. Not college level best but Olympic lol. She's definitely not a gymnastics prodigy but i think she pretty good. For the sake of this post I'll mention some of her skills and what she is like as a person.

She has been on preteam since she was about 3.5 and has her glide swing, pullover, cast, backhip circle. Beam, she can do a lot but it needs work. Definitely need fine tuning. She is super inconsistent with her handstand flatback vault. On floor she has cartwheel, round off, handstand (can hold it a few seconds), backwards roll to push up on wedge, bridge kickover on wedge (super close on floor), close to her middle and reg spilts, decent spilt jump.

She's pretty strong as well. Super close to a straddle press to handstand, can climb the rope in pike a few feet, can do multiple leg raises on the ladders , unassisted pullup, can hold all of the bar holds.

She sets goals for herself, remembers them, and achieves them. She works on flexibility at home, without me asking. Everyday she doesn't have class, she's working on her kickover. Thats the next thing shes determined to learn. After that she plans to work on her straddle press.

Ok, background is taken care of lol. That was long. Here's the issue. The current preteam she is on that uptrained (worked on bhs, cast handstands, ect) is ending and shes moving to the normal preteam. Due to her age, they aren't moving her to level 2. they are allowing anyone her age on level 2. Dad and I are ok with that due to the length of level 2 class but we aren't so happy with the advanced preteam ending. She on the other hand, really wants to go to level 2 and decided she going to talk to her coaches about it.

I'm not sure what i should do in this situation. Should i let her talk to her coaches? Should i bring it up to them? Should i be there with her? Should i let them know she really wants to continue the TOPS style training and possibly test when she's older? I feel like since its her pushing it, she should be the one asking about it, but again, she's 4.

Also posted on fb

I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking this but opinion are welcomed.

My daughter is 4, 5 in a couple of weeks. Like any 4 year old, she wants to be the best. Not college level best but Olympic lol. She's definitely not a gymnastics prodigy but i think she pretty good. For the sake of this post I'll mention some of her skills and what she is like as a person.

She has been on preteam since she was about 3.5 and has her glide swing, pullover, cast, backhip circle. Beam, she can do a lot but it needs work. Definitely need fine tuning. She is super inconsistent with her handstand flatback vault. On floor she has cartwheel, round off, handstand (can hold it a few seconds), backwards roll to push up on wedge, bridge kickover on wedge (super close on floor), close to her middle and reg spilts, decent spilt jump.

She's pretty strong as well. Super close to a straddle press to handstand, can climb the rope in pike a few feet, can do multiple leg raises on the ladders , unassisted pullup, can hold all of the bar holds.

She sets goals for herself, remembers them, and achieves them. She works on flexibility at home, without me asking. Everyday she doesn't have class, she's working on her kickover. Thats the next thing shes determined to learn. After that she plans to work on her straddle press.

Ok, background is taken care of lol. That was long. Here's the issue. The current preteam she is on that uptrained (worked on bhs, cast handstands, ect) is ending and shes moving to the normal preteam. Due to her age, they aren't moving her to level 2. they are allowing anyone her age on level 2. Dad and I are ok with that due to the length of level 2 class but we aren't so happy with the advanced preteam ending. She on the other hand, really wants to go to level 2 and decided she going to talk to her coaches about it.

I'm not sure what i should do in this situation. Should i let her talk to her coaches? Should i bring it up to them? Should i be there with her? Should i let them know she really wants to continue the TOPS style training and possibly test when she's older? I feel like since its her pushing it, she should be the one asking about it, but again, she's 4.
Don’t worry about TOPs. The strength skills it teaches is important but good programs often incorporate them in practice. She’s 5 so based on her skills Level 2 should be good if that is an option and she has all the interest she does! I wouldn’t let her talk to her coaches at 4, she can definitely come to have a conversation but messages at 4/5 can get easily confusing to follow. Good luck and whatever you do make sure the fun in gymnastics isn’t ruined for her all to early!

I know she's working on her bridge kick over, but as someone who used to help make the decisions about who moved to team, I would never have put a kid without one on it. It's a bummer the advanced preteam group is ending, though, so I think I would just talk to the coach about what your daughter's goals are and what they think is a realistic path forward. I personally prefer not competing level 2 at all and just starting at 3, so that might be something they're thinking about as well.

I know she's working on her bridge kick over, but as someone who used to help make the decisions about who moved to team, I would never have put a kid without one on it. It's a bummer the advanced preteam group is ending, though, so I think I would just talk to the coach about what your daughter's goals are and what they think is a realistic path forward. I personally prefer not competing level 2 at all and just starting at 3, so that might be something they're thinking about as well.
I'm honestly ok with her not being on team now. I thought i talked her into not be on team but i guess not. I wish she was able to continue in the advanced class. I may request to have a meeting with her coaches.

I know she's working on her bridge kick over, but as someone who used to help make the decisions about who moved to team, I would never have put a kid without one on it.
I tend to agree, however the kid is still four and I hope the reason for not having the skill yet is because they are being cautious and doing minimal work on bridging skills with really young kids - especially since it is not recommended for this age group.

I know she's working on her bridge kick over, but as someone who used to help make the decisions about who moved to team, I would never have put a kid without one on it.
Just an update. She did a kickover today!!! She was so proud lol. Also, the reason the advanced class is ending is due to staffing. They are going to discuss finding someone else to run the program with the upper level coaches. So hopefully it does come back. I would much rather her not compete this year and if she could just work on strength and skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back