Parents Level 4 and 5 being pushed to make level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So sorry, I meant old four. My bad. So equivalent of new three to six. Just an innocent error. She did not need to score out of new four with the temporary rules that applied that year only. Or at least the head judge of our state said it was ok. That's entirely beside the point though.

It's fine, I just find it interesting. There are a lot of issues with rule interpretation on mobility and age minimums :) Old level 4 was equivalent to new 3. So those kids in 2012 level 4 had mobilized to 2013 level 4 (which they could have entered anyway). There was no rule change from 2013 to 2014+. In order to enter at 5, they had to compete old 5 and score a 31 in 2012.

The interesting thing is I know of multiple cases of this, but I guess USAG and state record keeping lag behind or something. In this case since she scored out of 5 then presumably she would have scored out of 4. But that isn't always the case. In cases where the child lands in 5 and is scoring poorly, makes you wonder a little. I think it is relevant to the discussion of gyms that are trying to mobilize kids with very low scores when there are clearly discrepancies in the reporting system.

Wow, that's nuts. Our gym has a minimum AA score to move up in addition to skills testing...I think it is a 35 AA in at least 3 USAG meets (higher than score to get to states).

what doodlebug said - at our gym our gymnasts are required to score two 35.5 (or higher) scores to move up a level (that was up from only 1 score of 35.5 the previous season). our coach is a stickler with that rule. some of dd's lvl 4 teammates are repeating b/c they need to tighten up skills like kips and the basic vault. one of those repeating actually was 1st at states on floor. the only exception is level 6 which is meant to be a skill learning year and our gymnasts typically score lower because he will throw in level 7 skills as soon as they get them down.

Wow, that's nuts. Our gym has a minimum AA score to move up in addition to skills testing...I think it is a 35 AA in at least 3 USAG meets (higher than score to get to states).
This has been discussed on so many threads.....truly it depends on the gymnast, what the coaches see in the gymnast.....I completely get that if a gymnast is scoring 31.1 and looking shaky why move on...but otherwise not a fan of gym set requirements.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back