Parents Level 5 squat on issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom8772

Proud Parent
My level 5 DD is in mid season now and is still struggling with her squat on. I thought by now she would be hitting it consistently but she is only hitting it about 50% of the time. It's very frustrating because her coach sends her to condition whenever she misses it as if she's doing it on purpose or not trying. I really don't think that taking time away from practicing bars to condition is going to help her get it more consistently. She has been progressing on everything else on her routine thankfully but why is this squat on such an issue? It's just very frustrating and would love any tips or suggestions that can help her. Also I am not sure if I should approach her coach about the tactic of being sent to condition when missing her squat on instead of just working with her more with it so she can improve.

Comment to the coach that you've noticed she's still only getting it half the time and does she think that a private might help?

That way you're not saying anything that the coach could interpret as criticism whilst giving the coach an opportunity to talk to you about it.

It's just very frustrating and would love any tips or suggestions that can help her. Also I am not sure if I should approach her coach about the tactic of being sent to condition when missing her squat on instead of just working with her more with it so she can improve.
I offer this advice with all the kindness in my heart. Let it go. Learn to deal with your frustration and let your coaches deal with the squat on. She is going to get it. I'm not in your coaches head, but the conditioning may be an attempt to allow your DD to walk away for a moment and keep her from getting frustrated.

The skills are only going to get harder and as they do you'll take that stupid squat on for granted and forget it was ever an issue. In fact, your post reminded me that the squat on was the bain of my existance last year, this year I wish we could go back to simpler times. :)

Yeah, I hear you B.Gold. Last season it was the kip for DD and the before that was the mill circle. There will always be the next skill that they have trouble with. Going through it at the time is always difficult of course. I'm sure next it'll probably be giants!

this is so familiar-- last year, my DD struggled with the squat on-- all mental. she has had similar mental blocks with almost every skill-- BT, flyaway, BHS on beam. somehow she gets over them in her own time,. I have learned to brush it off. When DD says "I cant do XX" I just say, well you did know how to do it, and once you stop thinking about it I am sure you will do it again. The more I focus on it, the worse she has been. good luck to your DD

Has she grown recently? Mine has had two bouts of being iffy on her squat on and both times have followed a growth spurt. If that's the case, she'll get it back. It seems like it took mine about 6 weeks to get used to getting the new inches up on the bar and balanced correctly.

Has she grown recently? Mine has had two bouts of being iffy on her squat on and both times have followed a growth spurt. If that's the case, she'll get it back. It seems like it took mine about 6 weeks to get used to getting the new inches up on the bar and balanced correctly.
Same here! Two separate issues that lasted 3-4 weeks each and it's something she's done without incident for 2 years. Both times it was a small growth spurt throwing her off balance, I guess because it's fixed again. So weird but that little bit messes them up!

Yup, way too familiar! She hit it fine the first 2 meets, 3rd meet got it the second time, and yesterday....uggg THREE misses and he finally lifted her to the high bar. I literally cried for her. But like everyone else is saying, she will get it! I know with mine, it's a mental thing...so frustrating. Maybe the coach has some ideas. But probably just lots of practice and not making a big deal about it. Good luck! I feel your pain!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back