level 6 requirments in Canada

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Next year I'm going to be doing university gymnastics so i would like to start working on harder skills so i can eventually move up to level 6 when I'm training at University.

Right now I hardly train at all, 4hrs a week max, and we don't have very good equipment, so it is hard enough to keep consistent routines in the level i am at never mind train to move up levels. I am so excited to do university gymnastics though because i will be training in two different locations that both have great equipment including pits, spring floors, and tumble tracks. That may not seem like much to the average gymnast, but it's going to be awesome for me. I feel like I have, or had when i was younger, a lot of potential so I want to see how far i can progress in University.

Anyways, i am the highest level gymnast in my club, if you can imagine, so i don't know what requirements i need for level 6. I was looking online for the requirements but i can't find them. So, to get to the point, does anyone know what skills i will need in routines for level 6 in Ontario?

All i know is i think you need a flyaway on bars, BHS on beam, split leaps on floor and beam...

Thanks very much!,
Robin

ok thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Now is it just me, or is making up routines following this extremely confusing?

I'm trying to make up a bar routine, well actually every event but lets just start with bars, and I am already having difficulties.

It says i need 5 elements plus the dismount and the max difficulty is .8. A's being .1 and B's being .3, and it says an A dismount + salto (tuck flyaway) is worth .5 . The required skills are: bar change, Circle/close bar element group 2,4 or 5 (so a sole circle will work), and an A+salto or B dismount =0.5 (flyway).

So the dismount isn't counted in the max DV of .8 right?
I put together:
kip .1
backhip .1
sole circle .3
long kip .1
baby giant .1
flyaway .5

but i don't think this fulfills the full difficulty value

ahh, i dont know what im doing, is there anyone who understand OCP rules that can help me?
Thanks

Dismount is the first skill to count.

Most important thing on bars is that you get a cast to horizontal or you will be hurtin.

OK so I'm assuming you can do a sole circle, can you do any other B's like uprise, handstand or layout flyaway?

Going with your sole circle routine could look like:
Tuck flyaway .1
Kip .1
Cast to horizontal .1 + back hip circle .1
sole circle .3
long kip .1
total of .8

If you knew you would get your cast to horiztonal all the time that routine would work...if it is hit or miss then you'd need another skill or just loose .1 for DV

now for CR:
bar change, check .5
cast to horiztonal, check (hopefully) .5
circle elemtn, check .5
A salto dismount, check .5
total of 2.0

so total D score is 2.8 which is what you need.

Let me know if you want other events.

wow, thanks SO much! That is super helpful.

Bars is my weakest event so that is probably the only routine that will work for me, I can't do any other B's.

And it would be awesome if you have the chance to help me with the other events.

For vault, I will get the full start value if i just do a handspring right? I am also working on handspring halfs, but it's the same difficulty according to the rules right? (2.8)

For beam i thought you needed a 180 split but i don't see this in the rules. If i don't need this i would prefer to avoid it, but if i do need it i can work on split jumps.
I also thought you needed a backhandspring? But i didn't see see this in the rules, it just says you can't have flight in your acro series. I had my BHS on the high beam with a light spot (just cause i wasn't 100% confident) last year, but i haven't trained it since the summer off , so if i can go without that would be best, but if i need it i could start working on it again.

So again, i dont really know what im doing, but this is what i have for beam:

DV:
bwk walkover .1
bwk over .1 (connected - acro series)
full turn .1
leap (tuck 1/2) .3 (this doesnt have to be a split does it?)
leap (some other A) .1
A mount .1
dismount (A+salto dismount ) so can i connect my acro series to this and do balkwalkover - backwalkover backtuck .1 (or should i just add a cartwheel backtuck?)

So is this ok? Or do i need a BHS somewhere? Cause all level 6 routines i see seem to have backhandsprings.

DV:
acro series (no flight) .5
Dance connection, min 2 leaps, jumps, hops .5
Turn on one foot .5
A+salto dismount .5
=2.0

For floor
Most people do roundoff backhandspring layout and front handsping front tuck right? I can do the layout pass but haven't even done FHS FT before (lack of spring floors at my present club).
Is FHS - FT the only option - since you need 2 flights connected one being a salto - or will front tuck step out - Roundoff - backhandspring work instead? If FHS FT is the only option, I'm sure i will get it pretty quick when i get onto a tumble track and spring floors, im a pretty good tumbler.
And layouts and backtucks are both A's so i can still do a backtuck if i want right, instead of a layout?
And does it matter what pass is my dismount pass?

I don't really know how the difficult values work for floor, and i dont know the connection values for tumbling, but for B's i can do: 1.5 turns, switch split , or full turn with leg horizontal. I can also do back tuck 1/2 twist if i need too.

DV: (?)
RO BHS BT or layout .1
FT step out RO BHS / FHS FT .1
A leap .1
B leap .3 (switch split, pike/russian jump)
1.5 turn .3

CR:
salto acro series .5
2nd acro series = fwd flight + salto .5
2 leaps .5
dismount .5 (does it matter what one is my dismount pass?)

sorry this is so long, but your help is really appreciated!

Beam:
You do not need a bhsp, you simply need one B. You also do not need aplit, that is level 7 and up.

So your routine would look like:
DV
A mount .1
full turn.1
two leaps/jumps or hops .1 + .1
tuck jump half .3 ( I would suggest doing this on its own)
bwo + bwo .1 (only get value for one noth both)
cartwheel + back tuck dismount .1 + .1 ( Do this because you need 2 acro elements to or through handstand)
Total: more than .8 as long as you get the tuck half

CR:
acro series (must be connected to get this .5), check .5
dance connection (same tuel as above), check .5
turn on 1 foot, check .5
Total 2.0
Routine total: 2.8 so good to go.

Floor:
Again you do not need to show split. You are right about tumbling tuck and layout are the same value so do the best one. You do not need front hsp front tuck. Front tuck round off bhsp is just fine.

DV:
back tuck/back layout .1
front tuck .1
B turn ( 1.5 or leg up whichever is better) .3
Switch split + another leap .3 + .1 (Don't do switch unless it is really good)
Bhsp .1
Round off .1
Total: more than 8 as long as you get B's

CR:
1st salto pass, check .5
2nd salto pass with front element, check .5
leap series, check .5
Total 2.0
Routine total 2.8 so again that's good.

For vault you only need hsp.

Thanks so so very much!!
It was super nice of you to help me with this and i really appreciate it!

All the best,
Robin

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back