Level 6 routine questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
At our meet last night I saw a couple things that were interesting! I thought everyone had to do the same thing, but there were a couple of girls that did back extension rolls to handstand on beam. Honestly it looked like it would hurt!

Also a girl on bars did her squat on and then lost her balance and fell backward. While still holding on to the bar with hands and feet she went all the way around - twice! I figured it would be a big deductions, but she scored in the high 8's. Anyone know what the deduction is? When our girls lose their balance they just pop off the bar completely.

OK, after sitting through numerous level 6 meets where everything is the same, I found this interesting LOL. Maybe I need to get out more?

the back extension roll is used and allowed when they're not able to perform a back walk over. no need to go in to why this is as you all know that the back walkover can be problematic for some kids.

it must've been a helluva bar routine. for each sole circle that went around the bar received a .3 [extra swing] deduction and then execution and then whatever else they're allowed to deduct for for 'wrong' elements. Gympanda can probably jump in on this one. the final score in the high 8's is much to high.:)

I'm no coach and far from an expert lol, but when I'm driving girls home from practice (all level 6s) I have heard them say that you can do a back extension roll on beam, I'm guessing that if a girl cannot do a back walkover it's an option, although to me it seems harder, but there are a lot of fears in back walkovers on beam. And the bar thing, now I've heard our girls call it a a roundy round? I've seen it done in practice, and yes it has something to do with girls who struggle staying on squat ons. This all being said, I have never seen it in competition, though I could have just missed it. I don't think any girls from our gym do it though - though they have practiced that bar thing.
At our meet last night I saw a couple things that were interesting! I thought everyone had to do the same thing, but there were a couple of girls that did back extension rolls to handstand on beam. Honestly it looked like it would hurt!

Also a girl on bars did her squat on and then lost her balance and fell backward. While still holding on to the bar with hands and feet she went all the way around - twice! I figured it would be a big deductions, but she scored in the high 8's. Anyone know what the deduction is? When our girls lose their balance they just pop off the bar completely.

OK, after sitting through numerous level 6 meets where everything is the same, I found this interesting LOL. Maybe I need to get out more?

I believe one circle is allowed in the level 6 bar routine after the squat on with no deduction(except execution), second one would incur the deduction for adding an element

A girl at my previous gym did a sole circle (some people refer to it as a monkey circle) in her level 6 bar routine and scored consistantley in the nines so i dont think here is a deduction unless adding a second one like dunno said:)

Level 6 mom here, but I'm with you in not understanding the judging or scores this season either! So the back extension roll is a skill that can be done instead of the BWO I've heard, but never have seen this done at L6 meets here in NJ. My DD does have a friend that does one in her L7 routine instead of the BWO, and when done looks very nice, but to me looks harder to do than the BWO. But, then again it's not my butt up there on that beam so maybe to the girls it is easier, LOL

On the bars, if the girl did rest of routine perfect, hitting all her casts, nailing the dreaded (deduction for my DD) free hip, taps swings, proper dismount, then the one circle would have been given credit (as others posted) for a sole cirlce and the extra circle probably would have been a minor deduction and not as bad as if she touched the floor.

Scoring for my DD on bars this season has been brutal, and she loves bars, but can't wait til L7.

I believe one circle is allowed in the level 6 bar routine after the squat on with no deduction(except execution), second one would incur the deduction for adding an element
Does it also work this way for level 5? DDs tough spot has always been that darned squat on although she is getting a handle on it and has made it in all but one meet this season.I ask because I saw DD practicing the toe circles and I didn't think anything of it other than it looked pretty funny as she went around like five or so times. Is it acceptable in the 5 routine? Does it count as less of a deduction? When DD has missed the sqo, DD doesn't let go but instead holds on and does a pullover straight to the squat on and heads to the high bar. I'd imagine the addition of the pull over is a big deduction.A friend of mine is asking her hc today at practice. DD doesn't practice on Saturdays.:)

We call them monkey giants! In competition we're allowed to do one without deduction and then after that they take off points.

My dd has been doing the back extension roll. She was on dr's orders not to do any backward tumbling/bending for three weeks while healing a hip injury, and so she practiced these instead. Now she is practicing both the back walkover and back extension. She prefers the back extension, but her coaches would really like to see the backwalkover. I guess whichever she gets more consistent first is what she'll compete. She has no trouble with back handsprings on beam-Just the backwalkover-she gets her hands on straight, but then twists crooked when she kicks her leg over and it aggrivates her hip/back. I guess since the bhs is faster, she stays on straight.

the sole circle thing is interesting-I did not know that. Very cool. :D

L6 is the only compulsory level that allows "choices" in the routines for the gymnasts. As gymnasts progress, some skills will be easier or harder for different kids. The JO program took this into consideration when putting together the L6 routines. There are three (that I can think of) "choices" in the L6 routines and you just happened to see two of them in action...and probably the third as well, but you see it all the time so don't think about it.

There is an option for either a BWO or Back extension roll to a 3/4 handstand on beam. Most gymnasts do the back walkover, because it is 1) a progression to a BHS and 2) it's easier...a back extension roll on the beam is super hard for most kids.

There is an option to either squat on or sole circle on bars. Some coaches believe the sole circle to be an imperative skill to learn, so their entire L6 team will compete them. Some teach it as a saving skill for when you don't do your squat on well, and some don't teach it at all.

The third "choice" in L6 is the shape of your flyaway dismount. You are allowed to choose your body shape, which is often a reflection of the coaches philosophy on teaching flyaways.

The deductions that would have incurred for what the OP described:
1. If she lost her balance, she probably wobbled, so there is a chance of up to .3 for a wobble.
2. I would take .1 in rhythm for squatting on, standing up, wobbling and then bringing hands back to the bar (I'm assuming this is close to what happened.)
3. Flat .3 for the second circle...added element.

A high 8 sounds high for someone who could have received a .6 or .7 deduction for this...but without seeing the routine, if everything else was amazing this could be possible.

Thanks everyone! I knew the layout was an option instead of the flyaway, but that was it. I think this was our 6th meet this season and it was the first time I have seen the other 2. I know some girls on our team that could benefit form doing a sole circle instead of squat on. The girl at the meet did her squat on and fell backward. She never got to the point of trying to stand up, so had never let go of the bar. it was interesing anyway!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back