level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is training level 6. As of right now (from her assessment) she has her beam routine. She says she has the elements of her bar routine but not the routine put together and has to really practice everything because it is really hard. Floor? They pretty much do the same thing, they practice all the skills separately and some things together but not anywhere close to full routines for a while, probably not until the end of summer. Vault, well, she did 2 years of level 5 and struggled with vault both years so I guess she will keep on truckin with that!

I'm reading all these threads about level 6, prep op with interest. I have heard and seen level 6 is tougher scoring, but from what I've seen it's definitely across the board, so I'm sure she will be in good company! Our gym does level 6 for the most part.

Yes, having watched a couple of Y meets that had levels 5, 6, and 7 together, I thought that the 7's were scored much easier than the 6's. It took a practically perfect 6 routine to get a half-decent score, but I saw 7's with falls getting pretty good scores. I guess it has to do with being the last year of compulsaries (and therefore scored very hard) versus the first year of optionals (and therefore scored easier). This pretty much goes along with what we had been hearing from the HC for years, back when she maintained that our gym would never do a full season of level 6... and yet here we are...

My daughter, also training level 6, has not put the floor routine together. In fact, they haven't done unspotted RBHSBT at all. Her coach likes taking things slowly and while different than her last coach, I have come to love this approach. She makes sure everything is good (from, height, etc) in one element before combining. They have done lots of standing back tucks into the pit, from a panel mat, and down a cheese mat. They have also done the combination on a tumble track. I am not worried though, I saw my DD do one spotted and it was up over the coaches head so I think she will be ok when they do them by themselves. As far as bars, she has an entire connected bottom routine (and a free hip to above horizontal - whatever that means). They have not done unspotted flyaways either. Her coach will not let them tuck, they need to do layout flyaways. We had a little bump in the road there when DD smashed her toes into the bar, however, she seems to have moved past this fear. I have seen the entire beam routine done and while sloppy at least it is all there. She just did her backwalkover on the high beam so I think we are ok on beam (at least for getting through it - form is another thing all together). Vault continues to be an issue as she has trouble with her heel drive, the back half of the vault it nice (decent block and tight body with arms by ears) but the front half - YUCK - it is a piked mess LOL. I am no delusions that this year will be easy, but I hope it isn't horrible either!

Patience MaryA and vagymmomma! My guess is the coaches are working all the individual skills and dance for the L6 floor routine before having the girls try putting it together. Its very frustrating for the kids to try a routine when the tumbling isn't consistent yet. Much easier to learn it when they can do all the passes.
I know you're anxious to see what it all looks like when its put together:) Sounds like both girls are having a good summer of practice.

I like this and it really got me thinking... Mind you DD is only 7 and you really have to take what she says with a 'a grain of salt' (is that the saying?). She told me a week ago that HC told her she wouldn't repeat level 5. Now, I would never have the nerve to ask HC, so I have to take her word for it and just see what happens...If she had her way, she'd move onto levels as quickly as she can. She loves every aspect of uptrainning!
As far as level 6 goes, she has been able to do the beam and floor skills since last summer and vault for level 6 is okay for her. She scored high 8's and 9's as a level 5. It's a wonder because she is very tiny. But vault is by far her favorite with bars coming a close second. She is practicing the fly away with HC's help and is able to do the free hip pretty well. Her coaches are really pushing the cast HS on both bars, and I think that will make her bar routine look so nice. She has quite a bit of upper body strength. ( On an aside, we were at a wrestling comp. and DD did 15 chin ups/long hang and all the wrestlers were in awe. They also added, "Yeah, but she's a gymnast!")
Now, I honestly don't know what level she is going to do next season. However, I have heard that HC likes to do 2 years of 5, for most skip 6, and move onto 7. But I believe each child is treated very individually and he likes to do what is best for each gymnast. He only told me on DD's second day that he would introduce new skills after state and see how DD responds. DD also told me that he told her she had two weeks to get her FF on high beam, and she has been quite determined to do it. I think he understands that DD thrives from that kind of competition and expectations. She has also thrown a half on floor, but she said she did it with her coach standing there. Her layouts-front and back are very good.

Now, my question is do the judges score the 7/8 year old level 6's just as harsh or ...can't use the word lenient...All this talk of level 6 being so hard has me nervous. I know HC knows eactly what he is doing, and I am not even sure that she is moving onto 6. However, how tough is it really? Are there any parents of younger level 6's, and if so how did they do?

I'm asking and even if people tell me it's tough, it is highly unlikely that I will talk with HC about my concerns. He is always accessible, and does want us to ask questions; however, I simply choose to let him do his job. I never assessed the difference between levels 5 and 6 when older DD did gym. I ask these questions here because it's like a sounding board and I then feel like I have gotten my concerns off my shoulders and both DD and her coaches are left unscathed if that makes sense.

I've seen some young level 6s, 8 and 9 year old. Our gym had a couple 9 year olds last year. I have seen the judging being harder on level 6, but really, I don't think it's anything to worry about. In my eyes, it's more that you aren't going to see a lot of 9s. I mean you will see 9s, but not like you do at some other levels. Level 7 seems to get better scores than 6s. All this being said, we had a girl this year who did phenomenal at level 6, she took 1st place at many meets, and her scores were decent.

As far as younger/older, I'd like to think it wouldn't make a difference in how the judges judge the girls. I mean just because one is younger, presumable she has similar experience than an older girl, so I don't see how that should matter.
I like this and it really got me thinking... Mind you DD is only 7 and you really have to take what she says with a 'a grain of salt' (is that the saying?). She told me a week ago that HC told her she wouldn't repeat level 5. Now, I would never have the nerve to ask HC, so I have to take her word for it and just see what happens...If she had her way, she'd move onto levels as quickly as she can. She loves every aspect of uptrainning!
As far as level 6 goes, she has been able to do the beam and floor skills since last summer and vault for level 6 is okay for her. She scored high 8's and 9's as a level 5. It's a wonder because she is very tiny. But vault is by far her favorite with bars coming a close second. She is practicing the fly away with HC's help and is able to do the free hip pretty well. Her coaches are really pushing the cast HS on both bars, and I think that will make her bar routine look so nice. She has quite a bit of upper body strength. ( On an aside, we were at a wrestling comp. and DD did 15 chin ups/long hang and all the wrestlers were in awe. They also added, "Yeah, but she's a gymnast!")
Now, I honestly don't know what level she is going to do next season. However, I have heard that HC likes to do 2 years of 5, for most skip 6, and move onto 7. But I believe each child is treated very individually and he likes to do what is best for each gymnast. He only told me on DD's second day that he would introduce new skills after state and see how DD responds. DD also told me that he told her she had two weeks to get her FF on high beam, and she has been quite determined to do it. I think he understands that DD thrives from that kind of competition and expectations. She has also thrown a half on floor, but she said she did it with her coach standing there. Her layouts-front and back are very good.

Now, my question is do the judges score the 7/8 year old level 6's just as harsh or ...can't use the word lenient...All this talk of level 6 being so hard has me nervous. I know HC knows eactly what he is doing, and I am not even sure that she is moving onto 6. However, how tough is it really? Are there any parents of younger level 6's, and if so how did they do?

I'm asking and even if people tell me it's tough, it is highly unlikely that I will talk with HC about my concerns. He is always accessible, and does want us to ask questions; however, I simply choose to let him do his job. I never assessed the difference between levels 5 and 6 when older DD did gym. I ask these questions here because it's like a sounding board and I then feel like I have gotten my concerns off my shoulders and both DD and her coaches are left unscathed if that makes sense.

I've seen some young level 6s, 8 and 9 year old. Our gym had a couple 9 year olds last year. I have seen the judging being harder on level 6, but really, I don't think it's anything to worry about. In my eyes, it's more that you aren't going to see a lot of 9s. I mean you will see 9s, but not like you do at some other levels. Level 7 seems to get better scores than 6s. All this being said, we had a girl this year who did phenomenal at level 6, she took 1st place at many meets, and her scores were decent.

As far as younger/older, I'd like to think it wouldn't make a difference in how the judges judge the girls. I mean just because one is younger, presumable she has similar experience than an older girl, so I don't see how that should matter.

I totally understand. Thanks MaryRs! I have heard the "Oh, she should get some cute points..." before about DD, I guess I was counting on that this time around...She will take what she can get! I also remember the 9 year old level 5's was tough for older DD and the 10/11 year old bracket level 6 was tough as well. Those could have been the average ages however at that time for those respective levels. No one can ever be sure. I remember the discussion about which region scores the toughest ect. I wish all scoring was relative everywhere however. It would make things easier.

I remember a discussion on here a while back asking questions about those "cuteness points." I can't remember whether or not people felt the little ones got those "bonuses" in real life or not. From my own observations, if a little one came out and did a routine that, to me, looked exactly the same as the older girls, it seemed the younger one got a better score. But who knows... it's gymnastics.

I remember a discussion on here a while back asking questions about those "cuteness points." I can't remember whether or not people felt the little ones got those "bonuses" in real life or not. From my own observations, if a little one came out and did a routine that, to me, looked exactly the same as the older girls, it seemed the younger one got a better score. But who knows... it's gymnastics.

Just color me, "Trying to cash in on those CP's..." JK But really...:D

Patience MaryA and vagymmomma! My guess is the coaches are working all the individual skills and dance for the L6 floor routine before having the girls try putting it together. Its very frustrating for the kids to try a routine when the tumbling isn't consistent yet. Much easier to learn it when they can do all the passes.
I know you're anxious to see what it all looks like when its put together:) Sounds like both girls are having a good summer of practice.

Don't mean to sound impatient, but DD is all strength and tumble with limited grace. She's had all her L6 skills for more than 6 months now, and one of her biggest challenges each year is getting the little details on the compulsory routines (especially floor -- they're already doing complete beam routines). I understand the need to have complete passes, but she's a bit ahead of the rest of the team and they're staying with what's right for the majority. Just yesterday she was sent alone to practice back handsprings on the beam while the rest of the girls practiced flyaways. The good news is they're encouraging the up training. I love and trust the coaches -- it's just hard to believe it's only 4 months till the season starts.

It's great to see there are a number of other new level 6s on the site.

Aww, cute points? Well we have a little girl who gets them and she is not one of the youngest. She is 10 now, was 9 most of level 5, and I'd say she gets them, but with her it really is a total package. She is cute but she is good! She looks adorable out there and I think she knows it, but honest to God, she practices her poses and facial expressions in the mirror, so it is really cute, but her routines are awesome too!

I know what you mean about certain age groups at certain levels being tough. When my daughter was a level 4, she was in the young age group, and that group was always tough on floor and beam. It seemed the older girls did better on vault, and that kind of made sense, I thought most of them had more power.

At level 5, I would say the youngest age group was not the strongest, but more that middle group was. That of course also made sense to me because I reasoned that it was more likely to have 10 year olds who were 2nd year than it was to have 8 year old 2nd years. I can reason away anything lol

That's interesting. Why is that?

You know what, I am not sure. I think that for the girls with strong tap swings she felt that learning the layout now would be easier on them later (they wouldn't have to unlearn the tuck). In the end, there were a few girls whose tap swings were not strong (they are repeating 5) and she let them do a tucked flyaway just to do it with the other girls who were moving to 6.

Don't be afraid of level 6. Yes, overall you don't as many high scores as you do in levels 5 and 7, but you have to think of it as when a teacher grades on the curve. You really have to try not compare scores between levels. Each level is it's own. This will become quite helpful as time goes on. 2 of my dd's competed full season's of level 6 and I had also heard horror stories. I found some of it to be true and yet some not to be true. Middle dd usually had middle 9's in level 5 bars and won her first lv. 6 meet bars with an 8.6. A few meets later with a different judge, it was a 9.4. I found a broader range of scores between meets in lv.6 for my daughters. While in level 5, their scores were more consistent (barring major mistakes) I found level 6 scores to be more variable between meets and with different judges. It it all a journey, though. Can't worry about scores too much or you'll drive yourself nuts!! My oldest dd scored out of 6 and I personally wouldn't have done it that way again if I had a choice, but you live and learn:)

exgymnasticsmomx3... thanks for the perspective from someone who has been there, done that!

I've seen that too & it's funny b/c as you get to know the judges better, you know which judges are susceptible to the cuteness. It's very awkward talking to the parents, though, b/c they ask why DD's scores vary so widely & I don't really know what to say. They're very confused & I think, in the end, it's doing those little kids a disservice because they don't really learn what they need to improve.

Anyways, I'm off track here...Our gym doesn't compete level 6, so our kids will have to score out of it. I really wish we did because I think it would be the best fit for my DD. I don't think she'll be ready for level 7 when it comes to bars, but I don't want her to repeat level 5. The floor & beam for level 5 show my DD's weaknesses, but level 6 really shows her strengths. Oh well, I can't do anything about it since it's up to the gym. ;)

I am wondering if anyone can give me any information about level 6. My daughter will be a new level 6this year, and I have heard from many people that level 6 is very difficult. I have been told that judging is very tough for level 6. Anyone have a similar experience? Just wondering what the next season will bring. thanks.

I have had 2 dds compete L6 so far and at their 1st meets of the season, both of them scored higher AA at L6 than at L5. I think how your dd does at L6 will largely depend on her strengths as a gymnast. I remember a lot of lower bars scores overall but the best routines usually did win (even if it was with an 8.5). I think that many kids struggle with bars and not hitting the angles required at L6 for casts and freehips...and also missing the squat on, since it comes directly out of a kip instead of a cast (like in L5). Also, many of both of my dds teammates struggled with the BWO on beam for various reasons (fear, poor flexibility...) Both of my girls were young--8yo--and I don't recall ANY 'cute points' being givien (and I KNOW my kids are cute!!!). Believe me, we could have used them on vault-LOL! The competition in their age groups was fierce, but I think for the most part they placed about where they should have at most meets, and not much different than they did at L5.

My advice would be not to get too caught up in the scores. They may be lower in the beginning of the season, but hopefully they will be consisitent across the board. Good luck to your dd!

I competed level 6 this year. Floor was very difficult for me because I had come back from a foot injury right before the competition season, so I had to re-learn all my tumbling pretty suddenly, so my tumbling was very poor and cost me a lot of points on floor, so I was scoring low 8s. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem for most people though. Beam was not much more difficult than level 5, and the vault is the same, so no problem there.

Bars. The issue with L6 bars is that they have high cast requirements, but do not allow you to straddle. A straight body cast to handstand is unrealistic for most girls who are older than, say, 10ish, though handstand is not required at L6. The clear hip takes a lot of practice, too, and usually it's only high enough long after the season is over! Basically you've got to stick it out, because after L6, the gymnasts can tailor their routines to suit their strengths and hide their weaknesses - e.g. more front on beam/floor or more back, straddle casts on bars.

Good to hear from a gymnast:) my dd might be 5 might be 6 won't know until summer is over. I too have heard 6 is hard and my poor dd's worst event is bars:( I don't think she even has a beautiful kip at this moment she definitely does not have a clear hip or long hang.......hmmm. As for last year, she didn't get any cute points. her score were consistant throughout the year.

Speaking of level 6 - do you know where we can get the routine book. When my daughter was in level 5, someone posted a link to the book with the requirements and deductions and it was helpful for her to look at. I wish my DD's coaches would give them more information about the deductions for certain things becuase, at least for my daughter, that was very helpful.

I don't know if its Harder other than it is the next level up and any level up will be harder than the one before it. I found that was the year the judging became tougher and more was expected to be perfect. From my experience too it is the year of the mass exodus. Many gymnasts in the L6 don't continue on past L6. That is also the time where the "gym Queens" who get skills just by thinking of them start to struggle and get frustraited. I also think this is the Level where the "crazy parents" reach their peak (you know the parents I'm talking about). I've seen some really intereasting things from parents with kids at that level. And those "Cutie points" just aren't there anymore.

I see it as the make it or break it level. The level where the kids and parents show if they are really dedicated to this with out going off the deep end.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back