Level 7 Bars requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shelovestoflip

Proud Parent
Are giants required for Level 7 bars or can the girls do something different? My daughter 'almost' has her giants can do them with an 'almost spot'...at this point I think it is confidence... and her coach said that for the first few meets they can do something different (I forget what, sorry!!) and it will be a small deduction but still OK.

Curious to know what the deduction is and I assume it is better to have the giants by states?!!

Also, what are the 'must do' connection series (or whatever that is called) on beam? I know that the coaches would like to see BHS BHS later in the season but what can be done earlier?

Just curious!

On beam, any connection with a flight.... BWO BHS, Cartwheel RO. Giants are not REQUIRED at L7, however the girls who do them definitely receive higher scores.

Here is the requirements fromt he Rules and Policy Book from USAG you can also find this chart on USAG

5 A's 2B's
Not eligible for Bonus

Only “Aâ€￾ & “Bâ€￾ elements are allowed.

Only the following “Câ€￾ elements on UB
are allowed & receive “Bâ€￾ credit: Cast
Handstand ½ turn, Clear hip circle/Back
stalder /Pike sole circle bkwd. to HS,
also with ½ turn
Group 1 Handspring/Yama****a vaults
that have no more than 360° in one flight
phase & no more than 540° turn in total.
Refer to Level 7 Vault chart. All
allowable vaults are worth 10.0
BARS
1. 1 cast - minimum of 45° from
vertical
2. & 3. Two 360° clear circling
elements, same or different
(no hips on bar)
- one must be a “Bâ€￾
- one from Group 3, 6, or 7
4. Salto dismount, minimum A

BEAM
1a. Acro series with a min. of two A
or B elements with or without
flight, AND
1b. One acro flight element (may be
included in series)
(All elements must start & finish
on beam.)
2. One leap/jump requiring 180° split
(Isolated or in a series)
3. Minimum of 360° turn on one foot
(Isolated or in a series)
4. Aerial or salto dismount, min. A

FLOOR
1. One acro series (3 or more flight
elements) which includes a back
salto stretched to 2 feet (Back layout)
2. A direct connection of two or more
forward acro elements with flight.
- One element must be a salto or
an aerial.
3. Dance Passage w/ min. of 2
different Group 1 elements (directly

You don't need giants, you just need two clear circling elements, one a b and one from a certain group. She won't get deducted, routines with giants just usually receive higher scores because they look prettier. And on beam you need a connection of 2 acro skills, neither of them need to be flight, but you also need an acro flight skill which can be isolated from the series :) Hope that helped!

New to this board and just reading around. :) Um, what is an example of an "acro flight" on beam? Sorry, never heard that term before and was curious what that is.

My DD will be competing level 6 and level 7 this year so this post interested me. I always thought a giant was a required skill for Level 7. Interesting it's not.

Last edited:
An acro with flight on beam would be a BHS or a FHS or a round off.

AS to the giants, some gyms insist on them, but no they are not required.

You don't need giants, you just need two clear circling elements, one a b and one from a certain group. She won't get deducted, routines with giants just usually receive higher scores because they look prettier. And on beam you need a connection of 2 acro skills, neither of them need to be flight, but you also need an acro flight skill which can be isolated from the series :) Hope that helped!

Even tho they are not required, I've never seen a girl who doesn't do giants outscore a girl who does do them. I also just wanted to add that not ALL giants look pretty!! Heavens no! I've seen many that are so archy that I wonder why the poor girl's back doesn't snap in half!! As well as the giants where the girl really struggles to pull them over the top... bent knees, flexed feet... well, you get the picture. I think all too often that girls just do the same clear hip circle TWICE in a routine, so they definitely get deducted for that. We had one girl last year with IMPECCABLE FORM but couldn't do giants. Her high bar routine consisted of clear hip (not to handstand), kip, uprise, back hip circle, kick into a high cast pike flyaway, and she scored high mid to high 8's all season as a L7.

I agree about giants not being required, but girls with giants tend to receive higher scores if they are done correctly :) Some gyms require them for L7, others do not. My oldest did not have giants, my little one did.

As for beam, oldest DD could not get flight and connection together, so she did BWO BWO and a separate BHS.

My dd competed Level 7 without giants last year and outscored many girls with giants. She scored over 9 with no giant and placed at a couple larger meets. She can do two clear hips instead of a giant and a clear hip. She will need one of the clear hips to be a "b" or it will come off of her start value.

Giants are definitely not required for Level 7, and there can be some Level 7 routines that score pretty high without giants. As long as a gymnast fulfills the requirements listed above, her start value will be a 10.0. After that, they will deduct technical errors. So, if a routine is pretty clean, fulfills the above requirements, and does not have a giant, there is still a possibility of receiving a high score on bars.

She will need one of the clear hips to be a "b" or it will come off of her start value.

Would this mean it needs to end in a handstand? Are there other ways for a "b"? just wanting a clarification on this

A clearhip to handstand is valued at a "C" on bars. Level 7's can perform a clearhip to handstand, but they will only receive "B" credit.

For a "B" clearhip, the gymnast needs to finish her clearhip at 45 degrees above horizontal, I believe. There are other "B" skills that can be used.

A clearhip to handstand is valued at a "C" on bars. Level 7's can perform a clearhip to handstand, but they will only receive "B" credit.

For a "B" clearhip, the gymnast needs to finish her clearhip at 45 degrees above horizontal, I believe. There are other "B" skills that can be used.

thanks for the clarification!

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. And I now realize I really don't know what she and the coaches do!! I don't have any idea what you are talking about when referencing B and C skills! Maybe it's better that way! I have heard her talk about clear hips and I think that is what she is doing in place of giants for now!

I think on beam 2 cartwheels in a row?? Not sure.

I guess we'll see how it goes when the season begins (not until December)

Thanks!

She could do 2 cartwheels for her connection requirement but she will still need a move with flight like a BHS, round off or front handspring. Maybe she is doing cart wheel roundoff and getting both in one.

An acro with flight on beam would be a BHS or a FHS or a round off.

AS to the giants, some gyms insist on them, but no they are not required.
Ok, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I know they said for DD when she does Level 7 they want her to do a double BHS connected cuz she can do it. Most of her teammates will do one BHS.

As for the giants, ok thought they were required for 7 cuz we're at a gym where they insist on them. lol

My dd competed Level 7 without giants last year and outscored many girls with giants. She scored over 9 with no giant and placed at a couple larger meets. She can do two clear hips instead of a giant and a clear hip. She will need one of the clear hips to be a "b" or it will come off of her start value.

My oldest, Sami, didn't have giants her first year of level 7 and did the same as your daughter--scoring very well--and got over a 9 at a few meets (Chicago Style included). But I do think judges tend to view routines with giants more favorably than routines without--despite what the code might say. (unless, of course, the giants are scary to watch!)

I just want to clarify that clear hips are considered a "B" if they finish at horizontal or above, which is judged from the lowest point of the body and determined when the wrists shift to the top of the bar. However, there are angle deductions associated with B clear hip between horizontal and 45 degrees.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back